finally found a truck driver (Septic Tank Discussion)

Old 10-12-15, 11:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
finally found a truck driver (Septic Tank Discussion)

As some of you know, my driveway winds up the side of a small mountain. I've been trying on/off for the last few years to get my septic tank pumped [25 yrs old, never pumped previously] and today a pumper truck showed up and cleaned it out for me All the other companies would come out, look at my road and either say they can't do the job or they'll come back in a couple of weeks with a different truck but when you call them they say 'ya were coming back but it will be a couple of weeks' ...... but they never come back Finally found a truck driver that knows how to drive once the pavement ends

I had 2 surprises while he was here; the sludge wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be and that there is no baffle in the tank. As far as I know, single compartment tanks haven't been installed in this area since I've lived here and this system was only 1 yr old when I bought the place. Wonder if it's good for another 25 yrs

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-15, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think they should cancel the show "Duck Dynasty" and replace it with "The New Adventures of Marksr". I know I would tune in as you always have an interesting story to tell.

BTW, I'll bring the popcorn...

Old 10-12-15, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anyone who brings me popcorn is welcome!!!!

Not sure there would be a market for my ugly mug and I'd bet my wife would come up with a honey do list I'd never be able to complete before she'd want cameras on the property

Old 10-12-15, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Depends on the type of outlet you have..

You need to be more specific.. Tank? Tanks?

Did you take pics?

I would get a minimum of some type of filter in the outlet, but again we dont know what you have...

I had 2 surprises while he was here; the sludge wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be
Sludge layer is one thing, but how thick was the scum layer?? That is more prone to mess up the field...

Old 10-12-15, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't take any pics. It's a single concrete tank, don't know what size. Not sure what you mean by type of outlet. It has 3" PVC coming from the house and either 3" or 4" PVC going out to the drain field which is on the side of the hill [50' or so away]. There was hardly any crust floating on the top.

Old 10-12-15, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
There was hardly any crust floating on the top.
That dont sound healthy. You should of had a large scum layer.

The outlets should have tees like this if PVC..

If just in and out pipe then you should have a baffle in between.. ( It may have broke?

Old 10-12-15, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mine has 2 access hatches similar to the bottom pic but both the inlet and outlet pipes are on the same end of the tank [opposing sides] maybe 4' apart ?? The pipe from the house empties directly into the tank while the outlet pipe is similar to what is shown in the top pic. It's apparent there never was a baffle although reasoning behind the 2nd smaller hatch is baffling to me [pun intended] He did a good job of cleaning and rinsing out the tank, it was very clean when he got done ... as far as septic tanks go

This system was installed 25-26 yrs ago and while zoning was starting to take place in the county, the only inspections required were septic and electrical .... and from what I've seen both at my place and places I've worked - those inspections were pretty lax.

Old 10-12-15, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
If you have a pvc tee in one end outlet get this filter in there..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57330[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-15, 04:06 PM
That's one heck of a tampon!

Old 10-13-15, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the filter just press fit in the PVC? any danger of it falling thru once it gets water/debris logged?
Is there any restriction to the water flow that would cause the tank to back up? While I've seen the filters mentioned on the forums, I don't have any experience with them or know anyone locally that has them installed.

Old 10-13-15, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator
I pull mine and wash it off every 3-4 years when I get the tank pumped. I never had and issue. If you do have a tee like I do, the bottom of the tee stays below the scum layer and above the sludge layer..

As in the pic below..

It will keep solids from getting to the field...

Old 10-13-15, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The outlet is a T like pictured in post #8. The bottom goes about halfway down. I'd have to pull the lid to verify but I think the top is off to the side of the access lid although it could be just at the edge. If it's off to the side it would be difficult to insert the filter as there is only 4"-5" above the T.

Old 10-13-15, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator
I get mine here.

Gravity Filters

I got the grabber to insert it...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57351[/ATTACH]

Just a suggestion. If you cant get it in there it is what it is...

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-15, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll forgo the filter. The top of the T pipe is under the main lid of the tank, visible from the access lid but only about 3" below the concrete top. I suppose I could dig up the line somewhere between the tank and the drain field and put one in there but that's more effort than I'm willing to put forth ..... and the system has worked fine for 25 yrs and it's only me and my wife now so no additional stress on the system.