You really can't make this stuff up.....

Old 10-24-15, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
You really can't make this stuff up.....

This should lighten everyone's day up.

Okay, so next weekend we're visiting daughter @ new house across state. While waiting on house closing she had found a nice piece of furniture a work acquaintance was selling. I haven't seen it yet, but it's some kind of fold-out desk credenza or some such. Pretty heavy. It's currently residing at her office (she's an itinerant deaf & hard of hearing teacher K-12). We've been brainstorming how to get it moved. Finally decided since we're going over Friday and she'll be working that day, we would rent a pickup truck and get it done. Okay, so I go on the website for my favorite vehicle rental company and start reserving the pickup, but there's no place to add on a hand truck. Hmmm, figured all the rental locations probably had a stack of them available, but since there was a "Live Chat" button on the page, I figured I would ask. Now keep in mind this is the "car" rental website, but that includes pickups and vans; I am not on the big truck site.

The following is the exact transcript of the chat (company name removed):

John: Hand trucks always available?

[You are now chatting with Oscar.]

John: Hi

Oscar: Hello John, thank you for visiting ****** chat service. My name is Oscar.

Oscar: Id be happy to help you with that John. Do you mean manual transmission?

John: Reserving a pickup truck for next weekend and need hand truck; no option to request it. Are they always available?

John: Hand cart, dolly, whatever

Oscar: Do you mean a moving truck or a vehicle with manual transmission?

John: I'm taking about a hand truck to move a large piece of furniture. Do you call them something else?

Oscar: A specific make, model, or any special features (4WD, specific color, etc.) on a vehicle are not guaranteed because each location has different availability. You will, however, be guaranteed the vehicle group. I highly recommend you to get a cargo van or moving truck. I apologize for the inconvenience, but ****** is no longer offering cargo vans. If you would like small moving truck I suggest you visit www.***********.com or call them at 1-800-xxx-xxxx.

Oscar: The Pick up truck is Automatic.

John: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE VEHICLE!!!! I AM TALKING ABOUT ADDITIONAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT FOR MOVING ITEMS - A HAND TRUCK. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU CALL THEM OTHER THAN "HAND TRUCK"?????

Oscar: I'm sorry for the inconvenience, Towing is not permitted. Our vehicles cannot be used to tow or push anything.

John: Okay. Let's start over. I am renting a pickup truck next weekend. You with me so far?

Oscar: Yes.

John: I am moving a large desk. Still with me?

Oscar: Excellent.

John: I need a piece of equipment to move this desk. Everyone I know on this planet (including ******* on your website) calls that piece of equipment a "hand truck".

Oscar: I'm sorry for the inconvenience, this chat department is for cars only, we don't have a Hand truck available I recommend you to visit www.***********.com or call them at 1-800-xxx-xxxx.

Oscar: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

John: I give up.

Tow Guy is now drinking a beer.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-15, 04:32 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Hello John, thank you for visiting ****** chat service. My name is Oscar.
If they were that bad, why didn't you want us to know who they are?

Old 10-24-15, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Don't want to have to give myself an infraction for bashing. Plus I have no beef with the company; good rates and have never had a problem.

Old 10-24-15, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Enjoy arguing with a computer program? Sounds an awful lot like you were talking to Hal.

Old 10-24-15, 04:51 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I think that I have said way worse than that. I said that WD 40 sucks. Is that considered bashing?

Old 10-24-15, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
The warehouse I use to work called them two wheel doilies. That would have probably really confused him.

Old 10-24-15, 05:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I was trying to think of another name, for a hand truck. In Spanish it's transportador which would be transporter, in English but that stupid bot, Oscar might not have understood that either.

Old 10-25-15, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always called them hand trucks or dollies.

The warehouse I use to work called them two wheel doilies
Sounds like that would have gotten the response that they don't rent motorcycles

Old 10-25-15, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
When I think dolly, I think a wheeled platform. The tab was marked "Live Chat" so presumably it wasn't automated.

WD-40 sucks is just opinion.

FWIW, going to print the chat and hand it to the counter guy next Saturday so he can get a good laugh, too.

Old 10-25-15, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
And daughter informs me, "The desk thingy is called an armoire".

Old 10-25-15, 10:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

Voice recognition picks up on key words. TRUCK is a keyword. As a result the response dealt with trucks, manual transmission, moving truck or a vehicle with manual transmission, towing, etc.

The keyword DOLLIE was not included in the voice recognition software vocabulary. That's a good! Or it could have been misinterpreted as an INFLATABLE Doll!!!......

Better wording like refrigerator hand dolly or truck or furniture dolly or furniture moving hand truck might have produced the desired responses...

Prime example of failed voice recognition software!!! Live on the phone chat always better!...

Thanks for the laughs!!!

Old 10-25-15, 01:58 PM
Sure you weren't chatting with Dell customer support?

Old 10-26-15, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Well at the very least I figured Oscar was somewhere in India.