Another boring Win 10 upgrade story.

Old 10-28-15, 07:00 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Another boring Win 10 upgrade story.

Warning: The following post is very boring.

The computer was a Lenovo Ideapad running Windows 7. The woman decided that she wanted, to upgrade since her daughter had no problems. I took Hank Kee's advice (The Personal Computer Show), to access the recovery partition & start the upgrade from a clean Windows 7 install.

I downloaded the GWX (get windows 10) executable & ran it which then downloaded the install tool. I ran it but it hung at 13%. I realized that I was working on a wireless connection so I stopped it & switched to a wired connection. That's when an error about the tool entering a "stopped state" told me to reboot & start again. Of course, that didn't work. The error kept appearing. I don't know how or why but finally, it started to work & a good 1 1/2 hrs later, the installation was completed.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-15, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So she has a good working copy of w10, now? I'm old and it is difficult to admit to new things being better, but I am really getting to like W10. Yeah, it's artsy fartsy, but in a good way.

Old 10-28-15, 03:33 PM
Temporarily Suspended
We'll presume that it's a good working copy, if I don't hear any complaints, in the next few days. It all depends on the pogo games site & emails. She's in her late 60s so age applies to her too.

Old 10-28-15, 10:42 PM
I don't have the link now but I know you can download a copy of Windows 10 as a back up in case you ever need to install it again. I think for some computers a disk copy is better as I don't always trust internet connections. My connection right now is I believe at the second spot as far as Fios speed is concerned so I don't have as many concerns. With a slower connection though there is always the chance for errors. I still haven't upgraded my desktop mainly because of the Artsy Fartsy stuff as you so well put it Larry but MS keeps bugging me so sometime I will.

Old 10-29-15, 05:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Not that it matters but why was my thread moved to general discussion when it was clearly computer related?

Old 10-29-15, 07:39 PM
If I was to hazard a guess Pulpo I think whoever moved your thread thought this was more conversational than asking a question. I have made threads something like yours and they were never moved here, I guess it just depends on the opinion of the person at the time. You can still find it where you put it though so people will find it here.

Old 10-29-15, 08:16 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see how the fact that it wasn't a question determined the sub forum. Weird.