The Common Core abomination

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-15, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The Common Core abomination

Article linked is about a student who was asked to solve for this equation: 5x3 using the repeating method. Student said 5+5+5=15 and got the question wrong. According to common core math the correct answer is 3+3+3+3+3=15. That's 5 ---> 3's, not 3--->5's

The Third-Grade Math Question That's Baffling Parents

By that logic, 100 x 2 is solved as follows:

2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2.......+2+2+2=200 UN-Effin Believable.

God help us all, and save us from this lowest common denominator crap where we teach everyone to the weakest standards of the class.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-15, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you write this, or is momma venting. I know she must have a viewpoint.

Old 11-03-15, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you write this, or is momma venting. I know she must have a viewpoint.
Haven't had the strength to show her this yet, she had a rough day grading worksheets of her students and is frustrated that they are performing so badly. She takes this all to close to her heart. She is taking break to help our youngest (15) study for an upcoming test. You will know if she reads this, she will need to vent.

Old 11-03-15, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
How wierd is that!

Old 11-03-15, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Heres what I had to do for my 8 year old.. I told him pick any answer. He picked B.. I told him who cares if its wrong.

No one could figure it out.. We are all appalled....

Old 11-03-15, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Anybody remember "Sets"? I just escaped it being introduced in high school but got slammed with it in my first college math course. To this day I can't tell you what "Sets" was about.

Just for giggles from Wikipedia:
In mathematics, a set is a collection of distinct objects, considered as an object in its own right. For example, the numbers 2, 4, and 6 are distinct objects when considered separately, but when they are considered collectively they form a single set of size three, written {2,4,6}.

Old 11-03-15, 06:20 PM
I saw that 5 x 3 example and shortly after was multiplying something like 6.5 x 3 and thought, I don't even want to know how they would handle that.

I also saw an article from RI where their solution is to hold classes to teach common core to the parents.

Mike, that is ridiculous.

Bud

Old 11-03-15, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Errr...
Name:  math receipt.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  9.6 KB

Best I can tell mike is as follows:
Name:  math.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  32.5 KB

Take everything to the Ten's so 9+1=10 Hold the 1 10+6+=16 Hold the 6----->1+6=7 which is the difference between 9 and 16

So, B is the correct answer - your son is a genius!

Old 11-03-15, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Good guess on B cause it's the right answer.

They're following Common Core and teens can't make change from a dollar without looking at the cash register.

Old 11-03-15, 07:17 PM
Old 11-04-15, 02:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
teens can't make change from a dollar without looking at the cash register.
Heaven forbid there is a software glitch or power spike when you approach the check out register. They are helpless in making change.

Self serve machines are doing a much better job and faster. Sadly it is the wave of the future.

Old 11-04-15, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always avoid the self check out aisle! I always seem to get the one that doesn't work correctly
Last time I used one was at a big box and all the other checkout lanes were too busy and I only had one item. It scanned it ok and took my money but wouldn't give me my 2˘ change or receipt so I decided to leave anyway .... and got stopped at the door They took me back to the checkout and couldn't get it to complete so called someone else, same result. 3 persons and 15 minutes later I got my 2˘ and receipt and was allowed to leave

While I never was good with the math tables, I usually came up with the right answer. The teachers didn't like the fact that I couldn't remember the tables but let it slide since I would come up with the right answer anyway. I don't know a lot about common core but it seems to me it's just one more instance of where they are trying to remove commonsense from the school system

Old 11-04-15, 04:26 AM
I had to comment on this. Common Core is not bad in of itself, but the way it's being promoted and forced is ludicrous. My wife is a newly retired junior high math teacher. Her and the vast majority of her peers are totaly against the CC!

Without making this into a rant , I'll just say this...In the era spanning 1940 thru 1980's, we as a nation put a man on the moon several times and lead technology in every aspect. We did not have or need common core. What was wrong with the way we did things back then? Those that excelled in math and science did well and those that did not still knew how to do basic math and understood everyday science. AND could make change at the check out.

Old 11-05-15, 09:49 PM
There is common core science also. It's not just math. The School I clean at has common core science also as well as math.

Old 11-06-15, 03:28 PM
Common Core is a set of standards. It is up to schools to come up with a curriculum to get their students to meet those standards. Schools don't have the resources to develop and publish their own materials so they purchase them from a private company. That's where a lot of the problem comes in. These kinds of things are now subject to a bidding process and the lowest bid wins. That typically means you get the lowest quality as well. You will have a lot of people involved in this process that are not qualified. It is fairly typical across government.

The entire point of common core is to have kids learn how to think critically to solve problems instead of using memorization.

Old 11-06-15, 04:25 PM
I have never been very great with math I get by and can do the basics. This new math they call Common Core is basically mandated due to politics. I was on Facebook recently and there was a video that was a little over 11 minutes where a teacher was explaining to the school board why she didn't like common core. The school board wasn't listening though even though she was trying to make her point and had a closed mind to the subject. Many teachers though I hear don't like it as some of the questions don't make any sense and yet they have to use what they have.

Old 11-07-15, 04:49 AM
How was common Core mandated due to politics?

Old 11-07-15, 06:40 AM
[QUOTE][/QUOThe entire point of common core is to have kids learn how to think critically to solve problems instead of using memorization. TE]

Thinking critically is not an easy thing to do. To some people it come naturally and others need to practice it. Being exposed to it is fine and dandy, but being forced into solving simple procedures such as adding, subtracting and multiplication and division is just stupid. Memorization (along with critical reasoning) never hurt anybody.

If I desire a result and am shown a procedure that gives me that result, then understanding the process of that procedure is not necessary if memorization will achieve what I need. I go through this process everyday at my job. There are several inventory, receiving and record keeping jobs I must do but I don't understand them and have no desire to understand them. As long as I can do it from routine and memorization, both me and my boss are happy.

Don't mis-understand me, it's important that those who have the ability and nature to reason out problems is vital, but not everyone needs or wants that talent.

Each individual has their own talents. The mathematician may not be a great artist or the scientist can't author a good book to read. Don't force it upon those who can't do it.

Common Core at best is designed for failure. At worst it doesn't work. The concepts good, the process is bad.

Old 11-07-15, 07:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I was in school you had to learn your multiplication tables, we didn't have a choice. When I was a junior or senior, basic calculators started to show up on the scene. You remember the ones that had a backwards input process (1 enter, 1 enter then hit the + key to get an answer of 2). But still, we had to memorize tables to do math. I remember having my sin, cos, tan charts in my folder for reference. But everything was done in LONG MATH. My daughter today, does all her high school math on a graphing calculator. She is taught to plug numbers into a hand held device, how does that teach theory and the "why" of how things work. So she has received a vastly different education than I did on the exact same subject matter (math hasn't changed in a long long time).

I probably would have done much better in calculus if I had one of those pesky little machines.

So I think common core is another step, by possibly not in the right direction. If it teaches critical thinking, then you should not mark a problem wrong when the answer is clearly correct as in the first post on this thread. Instead, that student should have gotten extra credit for thinking outside the teachers box.

Old 11-07-15, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Take everything to the Ten's so 9+1=10 Hold the 1 10+6+=16 Hold the 6----->1+6=7 which is the difference between 9 and 16

So, B is the correct answer - your son is a genius!
LOL.. Actually I told him to put B. I told him that not because I new that it was the answer , but looking at the #'s somehow in my mind the 16 made sense in the answer.

And here is the kicker how I think.... I truly thought the first part was a typo and it should have read 9+0 = 9 LOL.. Therefore I would have had the 9 and 16...

I'm not kidding either... ha ha

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58582[/ATTACH]

Have you seen this one? From a 6 year old..

Attached Images  

Last edited by lawrosa; 11-07-15 at 09:19 AM. Reason: fixed my own typos.. lol
Old 11-07-15, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Mike, your second pic isn't showing up.

Old 11-07-15, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
I see it.. you dont Becky?

Old 11-07-15, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
OK, I see it now. But there's a square above it, and that's all I saw when I first looked at your post.

Old 11-07-15, 01:26 PM
Everyone is up in arms with common core because it is different than what they did. These MEMEs of common core tests and assignments are fun, but they are not necessarily an accurate representation of the curriculum.

I will also say it again, common core are the standards, not the curriculum. The reason common core came into being is because children graduating from high school are falling short of where they need to be for college and the job market.

Old 11-07-15, 03:58 PM
I am all in favor of teaching how to reason things out for oneself. I am totally against teaching that there is ONLY one way to do things. From what I know, this is the problem.

I never learned the "arithmetic tables", the silly things we were supposed to commit to memory so that we instantly "knew" the answer upon first sight. I could almost always come up with the correct answer but when I had to "show my work" I would often fall down. Who cares HOW you get the answer as long as you always get the correct answer?

Old 11-08-15, 05:55 AM
Everyone is up in arms with common core because it is different than what they did. ....I will also say it again, common core are the standards, not the curriculum.
I have to disagree. It's not that it's different, it's convoluted. And again I must disagree. In many schools it has become the curriculum. The concept is good but the implementation is bad. It seems it's an all or nothing deal.

And FURD, you are correct for the most part. As long as you get the correct answer that's all that counts. However, showing work is important, but it must be done in a common sense way, not common core!

Old 11-08-15, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
CC seems like a convoluted method to simplify math that ends up making everything more complicated than it needs to be. Too bad they never learned the KISS method. I can just see the draw a line from A to B question where it tells you a 5 step instruction. We need to teach critical thinking skills so everyone can function in life without a smartphone or computer.

Closed Thread