Resolved........

Old 11-10-15, 04:14 AM
Group Moderator
Resolved........

10 November 1775

"Resolved, That two Battalions of Marines be raised, consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant Colonels, two Majors, and other officers as usual in other regiments; and that they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken, that no persons be appointed to office, or inlisted into said Battalion, but such are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea when required: that they be inlisted and commissioned to serve for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress: that they be distinguished by the names of the first and second battalion of American Marines, and that they be considered as part of the number which the continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of."

Message from the Commandant on the 240th Birthday of the Marine Corps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg5GPScSQHo
"Take Courage then, seize the Fortune that awaits you, repair to the MARINE RENDEVOUS,
where on a FLOWING BOWL of PUNCH, on Three Times Three, you shall drink:"

Long Live the United States and Success to the Marines

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 11-10-15 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-15, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Very nice shipmate.

There's a long stretch of highway here, I-5, named in honor of John Basilone. It's heavily travelled and I think it reminds people of not only John Basilone, but all marines.

Old 11-10-15, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Been there; I was stationed @ El Toro 1981-83.

Old 11-10-15, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the reminder . . . . I'm not a Moderator; but was a Marine 1964-1968 with the 1st Marine Amphibious Force in Quang Tri Province, Viet Nam for 23 months straight from 1965 to 1967. Also floated across the Pacific aboard the USS MSTS Mitchell, San Diego to Da Nang in August of 1965 with 3400 other JarHeads; quite the cruise . . . . no return trip home for many of them.

Seems like yesterday. Semper Fidelis . . . . and Happy 240th !

Old 11-10-15, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Oooh-RAH!

"Marine" comes above "Moderator".

Old 11-10-15, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Semper Fi Jarheads. From an old amphib sailor.

Old 11-11-15, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Back at ya.

You might remember I was in "air" so I spent as much time around Sailors as Marines. Plus Med. Dental, etc, so I always feel pretty close to the Navy.

Then-Commandant Gen Alfred M. Gray decreed the playing of Anchors Aweigh at official events which I always thought very fitting. Don't know if it's still official policy:

''For 212 years, Marines and Sailors have served, fought, and died side-by-side. In virtually every command today, Marines continue to serve with their Navy counterparts. To reflect this brotherhood in arms, effective this date [October 28, 1987], Anchors Aweigh will be played immediately prior to the Marine Corps Hymn at all parades and ceremonies.''

Old 11-11-15, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
And a very happy Veteran's Day for all who have served.

Old 11-11-15, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was in the Navy 1979 - 2000. Worked with the Marines pretty much from day one to the end.

III MAF, Companies in the Philippines, Iwakuni, LCAC's, Forward Air Controllers and so on.

All good guys and good times. Us Navy guys liked them so much we would occasionally let them beat us up. Ha. Have a good Veteran's Day.

Old 11-11-15, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Good chance we passed one another at Iwakuni or on Magsaysay St. Here's my Westpac deployment history from that time period:

VMA-214 Iwakuni, Japan Dec 1981 May 1982
VMAQ-2 Detachment Xray Iwakuni, Japan May 1987 Nov 1987
VMAQ-2 Detachment Xray Iwakuni, Japan Sep 1988 May 1989
VMAQ-2 Detachment Xray Iwakuni, Japan May 1990 Jun 1991
VMAQ-2 Iwakuni, Japan Nov 1992 May 1993
VMAQ-2 Iwakuni, Japan Nov 1994 May 1995

At least one side trip to Cubi Point during each deployment except the last two after Pinatubo blew everything away down there.

Old 11-11-15, 05:37 PM
Happy Veterans Day all. PBS had a show on last night about this reunion they have once a year on Iwo Juma, very interesting and disturbing. The one Japanese 'rescued' couldn't believe how kind the US serviceman were. Quite a battle for a little piece of ground.

Old 11-12-15, 04:42 AM
I also spent some time in 1965-66 at the MCAS in Iwakuni as we were moving elements of the 1st Marine Air Wing by ship (LSTs) down to Da Nang.

I stayed in an old WWII Japanese BOQ which had an open Courtyard with Gardens, Ponds, and Walkways all laid out in the shape of the Japanese Rising Sun . . . . which was clearly evident when you were looking down on the Courtyard from the 2nd Floor Veranda.

I always thought that was weird because I had thought MacArthur had banned any display of that Flag or any representation of it. I guess they missed that one.

Anyone else ever barrack in that building ?

Old 11-12-15, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
In 1965-66 I was in 6th grade.

Iwakuni probably didn't change much between then and my first tour there in 1975-76, though. Lots of old WWII vintage wooden buildings (and Quonset huts). Your description sounds a lot like a couple of the old square two-story wooden barracks that were still in use; they had big courtyards in the center.

You seen the overheads of MCAS now? New runways out to the east on reclaimed inland sea area. Less complaints from the locals at the north end of the runway because flight paths now further over water.