Fined for eating snake

Old 11-16-15, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fined for eating snake

Couldn't believe the charge and fine these boys got

Campers kill, grill snake but get an unexpected side _ fines - HeraldCourier.com: News

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-15, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
IMO the court was being lenient by suspending $300 of the $500 fine. I find penalties for killing animals (IE: protected species, domestic, and over limit of game) to always be too light.

Here's a tip: Don't kill a protected species. Bring enough food or take an unprotected one.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 11-16-15 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 06:27 AM
I am not too surprised by the story having lived in Maryland all my life. What does surprise me though is apparently the more liberal and even conservative press never picked up on the story over in the Washington Metro area where I live. I know often our local Fox owned station picks up on stories from Baltimore I never hear about until later maybe on the other stations. Cumberland isn't that far away either so it is strange.

What isn't strange at all is the number of Maryland forest rangers who come from the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). They even had on our Maryland PBS(MPT) a show called Outdoors Maryland mainly filmed by MPT for DNR in Western Maryland as many of the other parks are federal or county parks and not run by DNR. On Outdoors Maryland they show protected species on the show and spoke about fines as they showed families looking at different animals. Most of the families as I remember were researchers it has been a while since I watched the show.

So in my opinion those boys can't say they didn't know any better because the information about protected species is all over Maryland and easy to find before going camping.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 11-16-15 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 11-16-15, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Being an animal person, I say kudos to the charges and fines, and I think they certainly deserved them. I wouldn't have objected to some jail time either.

Old 11-16-15, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I'm not mistaken it's illegal to kill snakes in tenn but IMO that is a ludicrous law and certainly wouldn't stop me from killing a copper head especially if he didn't have the presence of mind to leave the vicinity.

With the exception of snakes and rodents I can't see or condone killing animals just to kill them but those boys did turn their kill into a meal.

Old 11-16-15, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, yeah, if it's them or me, I'd certainly understand and kill something too!
I think the problem here, is that they probably set out with the intention of killing it, and what they used to kill it with, is also a problem, IMO. I don't think it's normal to eat a snake, just because you had to kill it.

Old 11-16-15, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
I would also agree that what method they used to kill the snake was also wrong. I am an avid hunter and I always strive for the fastest, cleanest kill I can make. I have passed on many deer and geese that didn't give me the perfect shot.