Credit when credit is due

Old 11-16-15, 06:40 AM
Credit when credit is due

Sometimes we criticize a business when they treat their customers poorly. But, we should be just as quick to give credit when credit is due.

I went to the main desk at an Orange Box store and presented them with a difficult warranty issue. I went online looking for repair parts for my folding ladder and discovered that model had been recalled and the company had gone out of business. No receipt or anyway to prove I purchased it at HD, but the internet had articles about the problem involving HD and the ladder mfg so my showing up at their desk seemed reasonable. But, the clerk couldn't see a way to make any adjustment as the recall was 17 years ago, which meant I purchased it before that.

My logic was, there are occasions when a settlement may set aside funds or establish policies to handle late arrivals, even very late arrivals. The full transaction took considerable time and the home office was of no help. I suggested to the very nice clerk that she could just say NO and I would have no complaint. I explained that my only hope was a prior set policy or a good will adjustment. Her eyes lit up and she said "I can do a good will adjustment".

Bottom line, I got a new ladder at 1/2 price and the savings were almost as much as what I originally paid for the old ladder.

The message is, she worked very hard to find a solution for a defective product they sold, and ultimately she found one and I'm a happy customer.

Bus

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-15, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
That is a great story. I would suggest perhaps sending a letter to her manager of the quality service you received.

Old 11-16-15, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Wish I had gotten that level of customer service from the large (18 store) Florida furniture retailer I recently had to deal with. Bought a dual recliner love-seat three years ago. The materiel ("bonded leather") started failing before it was two years old; cracking and peeling (neither condition BTW that is mentioned as an exclusion in their "lifetime" warranty). Only managed to get store credit of $400 (about half the cost) from corporate headquarters in Pinellas Park. Could have held out and gone to small claims, but didn't see wasting six months + costs chasing it down. I would have won; no question in my mind. Went this weekend and spent exactly $400 there. We did NOT buy a replacement piece for the junk one, which would have meant putting $400 or so BACK in their pocket. Went instead to a competitor where I was treated very well.

Now, really, do they think that they aren't going to lose MORE than the $400 they shorted me in lost sales to me AND everybody I tell the story to?

Old 11-16-15, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, by all means, communicate your satisfaction to the grand poobahs at the company.

Which I will also do (DIS-satisfaction) with my runaround just as soon as the cabinet we bought for our daughter's new house gets delivered.

Old 11-16-15, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Bud, did they say anything about the tires tracks on the ladder?

Old 11-16-15, 10:32 AM
Tire Tracks, LOL, they never looked at the ladder, even though I told them it was outside in my truck.

My only hesitation on a letter to the main office is, they might not agree with her kindness and fire her. I will show my appreciation here and by continuing to purchase there. In the future I will find another reason for a letter so there is no risk of a back lash.

BTW, when I was ready to leave I asked where they wanted the old ladder and they told me to just destroy it so no one would get hurt. Of course I will take care of that.

Regardless as to how someone upline might disagree with her solution, she cemented a good customer, the opposite of which, as reflected by the other posts here, is bad for business.

Bud

Old 11-16-15, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
You could write a non-specific type letter using her name and mentioning that she bent over backwards to provided you with superior customer service, etc, etc, etc.

Old 11-16-15, 05:19 PM
I will find a way.

Bud.......................................