Sweet Potato Pie

Old 11-18-15, 08:34 PM
Sweet Potato Pie

What is so fascinating about Patty Labelles sweet potato pie? I guess she is a fair singer I think I have heard her sing once or maybe twice. To me though Thanksgiving is not Thanksgiving unless you have pumpkin pie. I have had one or two sweet potato pies in my life time but I never thought they were all that great.

Don't get me wrong though I like sweet potatoes but I don't eat them as often as I used too because they have a great deal of natural sugars. I just don't like sweet potatoes as a pie. I also don't care for strawberry short cake but that is another story. Maybe I just like things more in their natural form without additives

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-15, 09:08 PM
Have you ever seen the "Married, with Children" episode with Aunt Maddie's Sweet Potato Pie? Here's the transcript.

Married with Children - 1111 transcript

Old 11-18-15, 09:33 PM
I had never seen that Joel I think the funniest part was about the turkey called Hank. The fight over the sweet potato pie was kind of funny too but I would never be in that scene as I would be fighting over the pumpkin pie.

Old 11-18-15, 09:48 PM
I'd forgotten about the turkey. I'll have to see if that is one of the episodes I recorded long ago.

Old 11-18-15, 10:24 PM
My favorite is the Munsters Thanksgiving show unfortunately I couldn't find the whole episode but I did find a clip of it. Watch what happens when Grandpa gets to the pumpkin pie as he talks to Herman about Thanksgiving dinner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeEluVVCLA Not the funniest part but it kind of reminds me of when I go crazy over pumpkin pie. Herman in this episode was on a diet so he could fit into his old military outfit for a reunion.

Old 11-18-15, 11:18 PM
Group Moderator
Al Lewis aka Grandpa was a classic. He was in especially rare form as the judge in Used Cars.

Funny you should bring this up...... my mother made a favorite of mine tonight..... pumpkin pie with no crust. Name:  yes.gif
Views: 134
Size:  139 Bytes Name:  yes.gif
Size:  139 Bytes Name:  yes.gif
Size:  139 Bytes

Old 11-19-15, 07:22 PM
A few things some people might not know about Al Lewis outside of acting he opened a restaurant in New York and also a comedy club. Neither the restaurant nor the comedy club are in existence anymore and were torn down years ago. He also had political aspirations but never went very far in politics.

Old 11-19-15, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Pumpkin pie made from a Butternut squash is pretty doggone good. Especially with all the whipped cream you can fit on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59067[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-20-15, 08:30 PM
I like my pumpkin pie smothered in whip cream too and I think it would taste good a la mode with vanilla ice cream. I think I will look for some vanilla this weekend for the pie yum!

Old 11-20-15, 11:41 PM
I think it would take at least five gallons of ice cream to make even a small wedge of pumpkin (or sweet potato or squash) pie barely palatable to me.

Old 11-21-15, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I like pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie, one serving is enough to do me. I don't care much for whip cream but I could definitely eat more ice cream than is healthy

Old 11-21-15, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
I'm with Furd.

Pie should be made from fruit! I can't think of any vegetable pie I like.

Old 11-21-15, 06:10 AM
I like fruit pies too but not during this time of year. Now maybe during Christmas time we might have a cherry pie or an apple pie. Cherry pie we don't eat too much of as it just has too much sugar in it both natural and added sugar. Apple isn't bad in the sugar scale but we get tired of that fast. Also a favorite for us this time of year and year round is pecan pie. We know of someone who bakes the best Chocolate pecan pies ever and they are not filled with too much sugar making them too sweet. You just haven't had pecan pie until you eat chocolate pecan pie.

Old 11-21-15, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Apple isn't bad ...... but we get tired of that fast
Not me, I can eat my weight in apple pie fortunately my wife doesn't make it too often or my weight would really be a problem

My wife loves chocolate but became allergic to it 20 yrs or so ago.

Old 11-21-15, 07:01 AM
There are only two kinds of pie that I like -- HOT and COLD.

Love pecan pie and hope to have a slice tomorrow at a church dinner.
Don't much care for rhubarb pie but realize my north living friends just love it.

Buttermilk pie hasn't been mentioned. It is delicious.
I sure like peach or apricot cobblers.
Making myself hungry just thinking about pie.

Gotta go shell some pecans!

RR

Old 11-21-15, 07:44 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If you want to hear some great singing with Labelle, listen to Labelle with Laura Nyro. The CD is called Gonna Take A Miracle. It's all 50s & 60s vocal harmony. You'll love it.

Old 11-21-15, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
I think fruit pies are best this time of the year. Cookies are for Christmas.
Never heard of buttermilk pie, so I'm thinking it's a southern thing.

Old 11-21-15, 08:42 AM
Shadeladie
Super Moderator

I think fruit pies are best this time of the year. Cookies are for Christmas.
Never heard of buttermilk pie, so I'm thinking it's a southern thing.
You need to at least taste a piece of buttermilk pie before you pass this life. Yes it is a southern pie along with a "Jeff Davis" pie (egg yolk custard). Mama made Jeff Davis pie after using egg whites for divinity.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Dinner whatever kind of pie you have!

RR

Old 11-21-15, 10:40 AM
Banana Cream Pie

My favorite!

Old 11-21-15, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, looked up the recipe for Buttermilk Pie and it sure sounds good! Will have to try making it. I love pies anyways, and this thread is making me hungry.

Old 11-21-15, 12:24 PM
Cherry pie is my all-time favorite but I have had mixed results when attempting to make one. I have to be really careful when buying a "store made" cherry pie as some of them leave me with a really sore throat. Amazingly, Wally World cherry pie is quite good.

Many years ago I was fairly well known among my friends and family for my apple pies. I used an ancient recipe I found that dated back to the late 1700s. I used only Granny Smith apples and also found that I could make a sugar-free pie with Splenda that tasted the same as one with sugar. I don't think I have baked a pie in more than twenty years, maybe it's about time for one.

Old 11-21-15, 08:50 PM
I will have to look on Splenda.com and see some of their pie recipes if you do make an apple pie granny smith apples are the only way to go. Macintosh apples are o.k. but not as good as granny smith. A couple of pies I like year round are lemon meringue pies and key lime pie, of the two though I like key lime pies the best. I frequent a deli that makes the best sandwiches and has other great meals and recently I heard the deli owner say she would be making key lime pie for her son. I finally talked her into making key lime pie for her customers.

My mom and I are in seventh heaven as we both really like key lime pie and I know others have been asking for her pie too. The best key lime pie in the area not too sweet and not real tart either yum.