Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving....

Old 11-25-15, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving....

Twas the night before Thanksgiving and a local garden center was advertising Christmas trees on TV.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-15, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
It used to be the holiday season was a holiday. Black Friday was actually on Friday. It started at 6:00AM for as long as I can remember. Then it started on Thanksgiving Day at 12:00 midnight. Then it got moved to 6:00pm. Now they're advertising it starting at 3:00pm Thanksgiving Day.

Give me a break.

Oh.... and while I'm ranting..... if I hear doorbuster one more time.... I'm gonna bust.

Old 11-26-15, 02:54 AM
I agree I do think everyone is pushing the holiday season so much. Even the government is getting in on it with the national Christmas tree being delivered way too early in my opinion. I remember back during Halloween they were starting to advertise Thanksgiving and Christmas. Give me a break enough advertising already! Most of the stuff they advertise I have no interest in.

Old 11-26-15, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The Black Friday items are basically lost leader items they can't sell any other time of the year, or specially purchased junk. You are in the store, so why not buy other items, that is the theory. I find the best savings are after Christmas and before New Years. Big items are being sold to get them out of inventory so they don't have to pay tax on them. Guns and ammo, especially.

Old 11-26-15, 03:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was in an auto parts store last week and heard Christmas music and they were playing it at K-Mart yesterday along with Christmas trees in the parking lot I think some of the stores have had Christmas displays for a couple of months

I know this season is usually the best for the retailers but give me a break on starting so early.
Personally I think it's a shame for any retail store to be open on thanksgiving!! Let their employees spend the day with their families!

Old 11-26-15, 05:15 AM
Ray must be bored this morning!

Old 11-26-15, 05:38 AM
Up until about 3 years ago my son-in-law and I made a fun tradition on Black Friday. We would gather all the ads search out what we wanted and mapped out a plan of attack. We did not go crazy over the bargains. Although we wanted the stuff, our main goal was to have fun and meet people. (If we got the stuff, great but if not we did not get mad or disappointed.) We would leave the house about 12 midnight and my daughter would meet us several hours later with hot drinks as we waited in the freezing cold weather. We had a good time talking to other people and watching others go crazy. Lots of laughs and good times. We would send pics to all our friends and relatives as we went from store to store.

Perhaps my best memory (and biggest laugh) was when I convinced my son-in-law, who was reluctant to go this one year, that he really did not want to miss out on some crazy item at Pep-Boys. All evening I kept prodding him to get out early and not miss this bargain (don't even remember what the item was). I knew the store would not open until about 3:00am, but I convinced him that the bargain was so good that he should get there at like 12:00 am to beat the crowd. I told him I would meet him there at about 12:30 am. I got there just about at 3:00 am and saw him waiting there in the freezing cold by himself for those 3 hours as I slept and felt refreshed. I did bring him a hot drink and something to eat.

I actually miss the action between the two of us. Good times we had!

It's what you make of it that counts.

Old 11-26-15, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Norm.... that must have been the year they had a $300 compressor for $50.
or.... buy 1 tire and get three free.

Old 11-27-15, 03:39 PM
For much of my career I had to work on most holidays and that included Thanksgiving and Christmas. I didn't care as I was paid quite handsomely AND I had the perfect excuse for missing the nasty family get-togethers.

I have NEVER gone shopping on "Black Friday" and unless I go to the grocery store sometime today/tonight I will keep that record going. I did once go shopping on the day after Christmas and I bought a nice wool shirt that had been priced at $50 for about $10. It was a nice shirt but my wife ruined it by washing it in the machine. Oh, well, who wants a shirt that has to be washed by hand?

I slept Thursday until about 8:30 PM and have yet to go to bed. I certainly could have gone to some stupid sale at midnight or 3 AM but why? I can't think of a single thing that would be on sale that I would even want, let alone go out at that ungodly hour to buy.

Old 11-27-15, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep. Wifey's battery in her CRV went south the other day, so I went to Wally to get a new one. Went around back to the auto department, not the main entrance/cattle gate. Short and sweet with no crowds. So as I left, I got the notion to stop in Home Depot to see what was going on. Granted it was not 6am, but still had people milling about, buying stuff they didn't need at prices that weren't really that good. I'll have you know I did not pick up anything, nor did I buy anything. Sort of proud of that accomplishment. I guess, as you get older, you have accumulated all the tools known to man, so what else is there?

Old 11-27-15, 06:32 PM
I still see tools in catalogs or on the Internet that I would like to have. Then I ask myself, "Why?" I can't come up with any reason so I just move on.

I bought a cutting attachment for my Victor 100 series welding torch a couple of months ago. I justified it because it was impossible to get new tips for the National cutting torch and I simply had no use for the large cutting only torch anymore.

Old 11-28-15, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I still occasionally lust after tools I don't own, I won't buy any unless I have a need for it. I painted a large house on a lake years ago and the old man [probably younger than I am now ] had a 3 car garage full of wood working tools. There was less than 4' total of baseboard that needed replacing [water damage at sliding glass door returns] He spent most of day going to every lumber yard and hardware store looking for an exact match and couldn't find any. I asked him why he didn't just make them since he had all the tools needed - he was shocked that you could do something like that

IMO the sale prices don't make up for the crowds you have to fight on black friday!

Old 11-28-15, 11:05 PM
Marksr your last comment about the customer you had as a painter and the baseboard reminded me of something. Some of you might remember me mentioning a bathroom project well it turns out that the shower pan could not accommodate the old drain. So it stuck out in my office and I made a box for it as I was tired of waiting for our GC to make something to hide the pipe in the ceiling. Well to make a long story short I needed quarter round near the ceiling so I asked the GC could you pick some up on your way here? He forgot and to be fair he has other clients too.

Well the weather wasn't so great and I had no desire to go get any quarter round from Home Depot which is the closest store. So I got my trusty router out found some wood that would work in my basement shop and made my own quarter round. When he next saw it our GC was a bit shocked. I drilled some holes on an angle to make my wood box stay on the ceiling and just pin nailed the box together. The box has been up there for about three years now but it shows you what anyone can do when you are determined enough to get something done.