Tuning a 12 string acoustic guitar

Old 11-27-15, 05:45 PM
Tuning a 12 string acoustic guitar

Just wondering whats the proper way to tune a 12 string acoustic guitar as some reports say you can't use standard turning as the neck is not strong enough and can snap so if that is true what tuning do I use and what would I look for on a clip on digital tuner? I assume drop standard? I had a pedal tuner but the display quit. The 12 string is just a unbranded generic from china. Need to replace the strings as they turn my hands black or is that normal with all acoustics. I'm used to electrics.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-15, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
I have no idea what "reports" you have been hearing/listening to.

Get a SN-5 Snark tuner like I have, it's cheap and works great. Maybe you need different strings if they turn your fingers black. I bought all my stuff off ebay.

Old 11-28-15, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The thicker strings are tuned to the same note and octave as a regular 6 string guitar.
The thinner string, on the pair of strings 3-6, is tuned one octave higher than its pair.
On the first and second pairs (e and b), the notes are the same octave and each string in the pair should sound exactly the same to its other string in the pair.
This is eEaAdDgGBBEE tuning.
Lowercase letters means the thin string is one octave higher then its standard tuned pair.

I hate to say it but if your neck can't handle the tension, it might be time for a new guitar. I've had good ones and bad ones. Good ones are more fun.

Old 11-28-15, 04:39 PM
what would a octave higher look like on a tuner. I know the new tuner does 12th fret tuning and a video i saw said that either the normal octave or the higher octave string will sound the same when the string is pressed on the 12th fret I forgot which.

Last edited by flirty1; 11-28-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 12:40 PM
GRRR HOW DO I TUNE THE HIGHER OCTAVE STRINGS. I JUST SNAPPED 2 STRINGS CAUSE IT DIDN'T WANT TO TUNE CORRECTLY. i GOT IT UP TO C# WHEN IT SNAPPED.

Old 11-29-15, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
maybe you need a video if words aren't helping.

go to youtube and type in: restring a 12 string guitar

Old 11-29-15, 01:21 PM
No words are not helping. I watched some youtube videos and one guy who was tuning a 12 string electric said that while it's a octave higher its the same tuning as its twin it just sounds higher. Is that correct.

Old 11-29-15, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Of the 6 pairs of strings, the bottom 2 pairs are tuned exactly the same. The other 4 pairs are tuned to the same note, but the thinner string is a higher octave. If you tried to tune all 6 pairs that same way, that's probably where you went wrong... they aren't ALL tuned an octave higher... only the top 8 strings are that way, not the bottom 4. If you notice Handyone's notes, the ones in CAPS are the same octave.

Try this site.

12-String Guitar Tuner - Get-Tuned.com

Search this Thread