Shredding Document

Old 12-17-15, 10:36 AM
Shredding Document

Been spending most of the morning shedding documents that go back about 40 years or so. Old pay statement, and tax records, or any thing with my name and address or other personal info etc. Before computer storage was common. Recent tax and pay statement are all online. I'm saving perhaps about the last 10 year of tax as paper, but I still have it all on computer.

What I find interesting is back then all the paper stock was of a much heavier thickness than any paper documents used today (if used at all).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-15, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
Once a year when the weather is perfect I have a nice bonfire. Most annoying is the paper with a lot of clay. You'd think financial documents should be meant to go up in flames easily.

I'm always amazed at how poorly paper burns when it's together in one tight bundle. It burns worse than wood. Poke to separate the sheets and it burns readily but I often surprised at how much poking it takes to get 10 year old documents to burn. Maybe I should try running it through a wood chipper first.

Old 12-17-15, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Our local C of C brings in a document destruction company for the benefit of county residences. Great, secure way of getting rid of the stuff like norm mentions. I had company stuff dating back 20'years. Dumb, since it was all stored electronically on hard drive, zip drive and thumb drive (which stays in my truck remote from the house). Three 50 gallon drum liners.

Old 12-17-15, 02:12 PM
My credit union does a shred event twice a year and usually some other entity will do it at least once a year. I, however, have my own shredder and I shred things when they are no longer needed, most bills are shredded within a day or two of getting the next month's bills.

My sister was like Larry. She had crap going back 20 years. Rather than wear out a home shredder she had the truck come to her place and do the shredding. As I recall the cost was only about $35, pretty cheap considering how much she had and they came right to her door.

Old 12-17-15, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm low tech I don't shred anything - it goes straight into the burn barrel when it's time. As PD mentioned, paper doesn't burn that great but stirring the pile every so often helps.

Old 12-17-15, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
There are now programs to reconstruct shredded documents if you can believe what you see on TV. Each shred is scanned then software matches up the pieces.

Old 12-18-15, 10:56 AM
When I was in the military, classified documents were cross shredded and then burned.

We have a shredder and a fire pit. Guess which one I use.

Old 12-18-15, 12:37 PM
I have a micro-fine crosscut shredder. The pieces that come out are so small I seriously doubt that anyone, or any software program, could ever reassemble any messages. Heck, it isn't even obvious there was any ink on the pieces.

Also, many urban areas have a VERY dim view of burning papers. That stated, I destroy anything and everything that has both my name and my address on it. I don't put gummy labels through my shredder but I do save them up as well as the labels on plastic bags sent through the mails and delivery services. A few times a year I burn these non-shredding items along with a nice hot wood fire in my otherwise useless fireplace.

Old 12-18-15, 12:39 PM
I burned out one of my shredders doing a great deal of shredding. I now have another shredder and that one just sits in my office waiting to be used again with piles of paper needing to be shred. I used to print receipts for things online and now I don't I keep them as a PDF document on my computer. That helps as far as some things are concerned but I still get bank statements in the mail as I am not the only person here and my elderly mom likes to look at a paper statement. Then there is some of the junk mail like credit card solicitations that come in the mail so it never ends.

Old 12-18-15, 02:21 PM
My first shredder was advertised as being able to shred six pages at a time. Maybe six pages of onionskin but definitely not six pages of 20 lb. bond. It took a few years but I eventually broke it. I replaced it with a similar model I bought for something like ten to thirty dollars from a surplus company. Although I never ran more than two sheets at a time it eventually stripped out the gears.

Then I bought a much higher quality unit, about $200 as I recall and this one will do credit cards and CDs quite handily or at least eight pages of 20 lb. bond paper. It has much smaller "bits" than either of the previous shredders.

...waiting to be used again with piles of paper needing to be shred.
This is the problem and far too many people play this waiting game. I, on the other hand, shred a few items almost every other day so it never becomes a chore.

I used to print receipts for things online and now I don't I keep them as a PDF document on my computer.
I don't have pdf writing software so I save them as Word docs. I can go weeks without even turning on my printer. I also go through my "saved receipts" on a periodic basis and purge the ones I don't need to keep for warranty or insurance purposes.
...but I still get bank statements in the mail as I am not the only person here and my elderly mom likes to look at a paper statement.
I prefer paper statements on my CC billing and my cell phone has detailed billing. About half of my billings are via E-billing and I will probably be moving more in that direction in the new year. I generally hold a paper statement until I receive the next one, stating that my previous bill has been paid. Then I shred the older statement.

One place I need to work on is my insurance statements. It seems that my insurance company figures that if one page is good then ten pages must be fantastic. I've been with the same company for homeowner, automobile and umbrella coverage for at least twenty years and I think I have a stack of papers almost a foot high.

Old 12-18-15, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
if one page is good then ten pages must be fantastic
That is the way my new doctors are first they give you a printed receipt for your check [receipt isn't optional] and when you leave, they print out 5-8 pages [one sided] detailing the visit, all your stats and what they've done for you in the last 2 visits along with a page detailing your next visit .... and that doesn't include any prescriptions they might have wrote.

Old 12-18-15, 03:18 PM
Mark, you need to find a new clinic! Oh, yeah, you live in the sticks and not a lot to choose from.

I get a cash register tape for my receipt and then a couple of pages (printed on both sides) that detail my visit, current meds, any new prescriptions (actual prescriptions are faxed or e-mailed to the pharmacy) and maybe info for scheduling future appointments. I find it better than the old way where you forgot half of what took place by the time you get back to the car.

Old 12-18-15, 06:10 PM
This is the problem and far too many people play this waiting game. I, on the other hand, shred a few items almost every other day so it never becomes a chore.
I used to be able to do that myself Joel but life gets busy sometimes. I am though catching up and after I get other things done then I can go back to shredding.

I don't have pdf writing software so I save them as Word docs.
I don't have PDF writing software either but I do have Foxit Reader that I installed for free. With Foxit I can save a whole web page and even add in type written words to documents which I did once to get a free bus permit from our city. All I had to do is add my written signature but I could have easily have printed too with practice. Word docs are good too and I have saved documents that way too.

Old 12-18-15, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Goodwill offers secure document shredding (some locations). They charge a fee per box, but it's not much and helps them out.

Old 12-19-15, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One good "end" use for shredded paper is your local animal shelter. They especially like non color newsprint. They shred the newspapers themselves for the most part.

Old 12-19-15, 10:13 AM
I only have a used shredder that's on it's last legs. The only thing I want destroyed beyond recognition or ability to reconstruct are account numbers and bank statements. Many of you seem to be paranoid about shredding anything with your name on it. I'm not that concerned. All that info is public domain and is already out there.
Unless your job is sensitive or you're a drug dealer I don't think shredding all those mailings and things are necessary.

Old 12-19-15, 03:48 PM
You're probably right, Norm but just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.