beware of who you hire

Old 12-22-15, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
beware of who you hire

Most of us know how important it is to check references and know who you hire to work on your home but I was shocked when I saw this article on a local news site. The repairs needed to fix what this 'contractor' done will exceed the value of the home
Contractor charged with fraud blamed for destroyed home | News - Home

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-15, 03:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I always recommend the Department Of Consumer Affairs. Unlike the Better Business Bureau, they usually answer the phone. They will tell you if there are any complaints against the contractor. Google is your friend also.

Google is your Friend

Old 12-22-15, 03:55 AM
I hate to say it, but they kind of got what they deserved. At what point did they see that the job was not being done right or in a timely manner? And what about permits? Surely the municipal authorities must have been aware of what was going on. And to deplete one's retirement on a remodel and not question what was happening? I certainly hope this couple recovers, but I don't think I would contribute to a go fund. They didn't manage their funds before, what makes you think they will now?

Anybody remember the movie "The Money Pit"? Very funny.

Old 12-22-15, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree the homeowners share some of the blame. It always mystifies me that some folks don't seem to have a clue about the work being done. The sad part is in this area a lot of the so called professionals also don't have a clue. On the bright side, if you're honest and know what you are doing - it's easy to get a great reputation!

Old 12-22-15, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
I don't even understand what he was doing. It looks nothing like what I know as a storm shelter. Growing up in Arkansas a few houses had them but they were small, perhaps 8'x10', maybe 5'-6' underground with an arched concrete roof above the ground. They were well away from the house. Would love to know the detalis of what he was building and why it was necessary to undermine the house foundation.

Old 12-22-15, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To me it looks like a basement/start of a room addition. It would be nice to know more about what all was supposed to be done ..... but then the news people might not have been any better informed than the homeowners

Since it's a house on a city lot along with set back codes - that might have been the only place to put it.

Old 12-22-15, 02:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I hate to say it, but they kind of got what they deserved.
Never blame the victims.

Old 12-22-15, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anybody remember the movie "The Money Pit"? Very funny.
I remember the plumber. He showed up and said "write me a check".
Then he left because "they were saving the good scotch for the guests". Hilarious.