Seattle's new tax

Old 12-23-15, 05:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Seattle's new tax

Good morning Seattle. A judge just upheld a mandate placing a $25 per gun and 5 cent per ammo round on you. They call it a "Violence tax". How quaint is that? I immediately felt the urge to go check on the violence my guns were causing. You know, like when kids get quiet? Hint. Buy elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-15, 06:38 AM
I saw that. Just the beginning of a long list of gun control steps that are inevitable if we don't do something. The solution depends upon who we elect to state and federal government offices, especially the top spot.

The gun control people just don't get it.

Bud

Old 12-23-15, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure how they're going to get the criminals who get their weapons on the black market to pay the tax.

Old 12-23-15, 09:59 AM
If the Bill Of Rights permits me to buy and own guns & ammo how can a local jurisdiction pass a tax on exercising that right?

Old 12-23-15, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Slightly off topic but I saw where the state of Virginia will no longer honor carry permits from 25 states including Tennessee.

Old 12-23-15, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Same for NC I have yet to see a gun get up and shoot somebody, Always has to be somebody behind it.

Old 12-23-15, 04:57 PM
I suspect these laws will be scrutinized by the NRA and said to be against the Bill of Rights.

Old 12-23-15, 07:41 PM
Here is the link to the local news coverage.

Judge upholds Seattle 'gun violence tax,' dismisses NRA suit | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO

guy48065
If the Bill Of Rights permits me to buy and own guns & ammo how can a local jurisdiction pass a tax on exercising that right?
A tax on guns and/or ammunition is no more an "infringement" than is the cost of the gun or ammunition. The Second Amendment does NOT state that any citizen may request a free firearm and/or ammunition.

the_tow_guy
Not sure how they're going to get the criminals who get their weapons on the black market to pay the tax.
Logic and Seattle politicians are words not often seen together.

Bud9051
The gun control people just don't get it.
Got that right!

The NRA did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment, but another plaintiff, the Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation, promised an immediate appeal. The groups have argued state law puts responsibility for regulating firearms solely in the hands of the Legislature, not local governments.
The question before the Judge was whether or not a tax WAS an unlawful regulating of firearms. Obviously she felt it was not, as it had nothing to do as to who could buy or sell firearms or ammunition, only that such purchases may be subject to additional taxation within the city limits of Seattle.

(For those not up on Puget Sound geography, Bellevue (home of the Second Amendment Foundation) is the second largest city in Washington state and is just across Lake Washington from Seattle.)

Definitely going to be appealed. We shall see when a state appellate court, or the state supreme court rule. Meanwhile, plenty of gun shops outside of Seattle.