Random Topic on a Slow Day

Old 12-27-15, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Random Topic on a Slow Day

Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu - Pros and Cons of each. I'm tired of the cable company continuously raising our rates out of the blue. Want to reduce down to basic bare bones and look to alternatives.

Funny, I remember when cable was a new alternative to over the air stations. You paid for the service and in return, you did not have to watch commercials. What ever happened to that? Right now, I feel I'm paying a bunch of money each month for the privilege of watching commercials. The commercials themselves (by the way), are about as pathetic as I have ever seen. I could barely stomach the stupid holiday commercials this year.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-15, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll keep an eye on this one.... Paying about $250 for cable and nothing on.
Includes phone and high speed internet, but I've had it.

Old 12-27-15, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
I agree with you about the commercials! I spend a lot of time using the mute button, lol!
They've never been worse, and so rare to actually see a good one.
As for those three you mention, I like Amazon Prime and Hulu over Netflix, but I watch more TV shows than movies. I still prefer cable tho, in spite of the awful pricing. Not that there's always something good on, but there are shows I like on cable channels.
I have Amazon Prime anyways for the free shipping. I've tried the other two with the free trials, but went back to cable.
I would suggest trying them all with the free trial. That's the only way to know for sure. A lot depends on your likes and tastes, so it's a little hard for someone to tell you which they like best, since they might like different things than you do.

Old 12-27-15, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like I said, I don't watch TV except on occasion mostly to help provide background noise so I can fall asleep at night. My cable company is about getting ready to go all digital, which means we have to get a converter box for EVERY TV in the house. Oh, and btw, that will cost you an additional $4 per unit (or $16/mo. for me). I'm just done with it. They raised my bill a few months back, my wife paid the normal re-occurring charges not realizing it went up, and they shut me down for being $20 delinquent. Fios is not yet available, Direct TV is out as I have too many trees so I have little alternative.

If it was up to me, I would dump everything, but I still have to share a bed at night. Others in the house are larger consumers of the commodity than me.

Last edited by czizzi; 12-27-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Do you have a Roku? You might consider getting one. There's a lot of programming available on that, including the 3 you asked about and some free ones, too.

Old 12-27-15, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Roku also has HBO Internet Streaming for 14.99.

Old 12-27-15, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Paying about $250 for cable ....... includes phone and high speed internet,
Wow, I guess I won't complain as I pay about half of that for the same ... although I do have basic cable.

My cable company is about getting ready to go all digital, which means we have to get a converter box for EVERY TV in the house
The local cable company claims the same thing but my cable is thru the light company and I don't have a box. I think I get 80 channels [2-82]

Old 12-27-15, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The local cable company claims the same thing but my cable is thru the light company and I don't have a box. I think I get 80 channels [2-82]
That is what we have for all TV's not on the main box. But that is going away. Satallite units now will require a box. One of my good clients is a 56 room hotel, they are not happy about the extra charges either.

I already have several gaming consoles, so I don't need Roku to be able to stream things to the main unit.

Old 12-27-15, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
My cable company is about getting ready to go all digital, which means we have to get a converter box for EVERY TV in the house
The cable company would have to provide you with the converter box. The only converter box you would need would be if you want to receive over the air broadcast.

That is what we do. We do not have cable, or satellite, we just watch over the air broadcast. Our TV's are new enough that we do not need converter boxes, but before that we did use converter boxes with no issues. We live about 30 miles out of town with antenna on your roof. Also many shows are in HD. We also get somewhere around 20 different channels.

For commercial free TV watching we use a Tivo DVR. Tivo is a subscription but we are paying about $130 per year. I like the Tivo because it is easy to set up, record shows, and it updates so it knows if a show moves to a new time. I watch "Big bang theory" but I could not tell you when it is on. The Tivo will also stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and others. Of course you need a subscription for each.

For streaming we have Amazon Prime. I got it for a good deal on special ($72) just to try it for the year. I do like the bonus of the two day free shipping on most items. We stream on our Xbox 360, Roku, or Tivo. All work fine but we seem to get booted off more on the Xbox.

Old 12-27-15, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cable company would have to provide you with the converter box. The only converter box you would need would be if you want to receive over the air broadcast.
Tolyn - this has nothing to do with "over the air" broadcast and the converter boxes required years ago after the switch to digital. The new boxes will be the only way to decode the signal over the actual cable line. Thus one needed for every TV unit. Nice way for them to make extra money on a per TV basis as opposed to a household basis.

https://www.cox.com/residential/tv/go-all-digital.html Choose any city in virginia if you are curious in the attached.

Old 12-27-15, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
I guess I am out of the loop when it comes to cable TV. I haven't had it for about 11 years.

Old 12-27-15, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The new boxes will be the only way to decode the signal over the actual cable line. Thus one needed for every TV unit
If you want any decent channels, you must have Cox "advanced" TV. Requires a digital box.
One of the reasons my bill is so high is that I have a HD DVR. I could get rid of it, and go with just a simple box (from cox), or just connect the cable to the TV's.
Direct connection to a cable ready TV is sad. Cox has thought of everything and "forces" you into the boxes.
Good news is if you've never had digital cable, the picture is excellent, and the internet speed is unreal.

Old 12-27-15, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
As I stated many times I cut the cord some time ago. My kids do not watch TV at all.. When they were small it was channel 13 cartoons is all.

I turned off cable and have an antenna on the roof aimed at NYC. I get all the channels 2-13 and more.

Now when I had cable( and I may be going back) I never used a box. What we have here is basic cable offered at the lowest price of 14.95. That gets us the local channels 2-13 and more.

Reason why I may go back is channel 7 and 11 are iffy depending on the weather. And 14 bucks is not too hard to swallow..

The issue I have is 4 smart TV's 4 smart phones, and 2 i pods. Plus we stream, stream ,stream.

I tried all the streaming products out there. Wife and kids gravitated toward netflix. Hands down its the winner in this house. Amazon was not a hit as the same stuff is on netflix. Hula... yuck. Netflix also has the best app for navigation..

My wife is binge watching the office about 8-10 episodes a day..

Now the issue here is I pay 59.95 just for internet. Why? We are streamers...

This is what I get for that...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60614[/ATTACH]

59.99 is because I dont have TV with it..

All in all I come out to this.

59.95 internet
14.95 TV ( If I go back)
7.99 netflix

82.89 bucks... Thats still too much IMO.

Less the TV is 67.94..

I may try to get the antenna higher come summer..

My 2 cents anyway....

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-15, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
That's really good speed for cable. My FiOs is pretty much on par. Slightly higher upload... meh.

Old 12-27-15, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
That's really good speed for cable. My FiOs is pretty much on par. Slightly higher upload... meh.
Yeah but what do you pay?

I can get 75/35 for 79 bucks...

or 101/35 for 105 bucks..

Thats the best they offer..

sry not to get off topic... But all should know thier options....

Old 12-27-15, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
I have the triple play..... 50 up - 50 down. I have three digital boxes, HBO, Show, Flix. I pay 139.95 a month give or take a few cents as taxes change. I get 40 good channels and 200 useless ones.

Old 12-27-15, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We use Directv, but would gladly trade the $89 monthly bill for over-the-air. We only watch news, listen to music, and stream through Blockbuster on demand, via Roku. No subscription fee, and pay per movie. We are surrounded by mountains, so OA is not feasible unless we aimed at the moon

Old 12-27-15, 07:54 PM
We pay $120.00 for our internet and phone with Verizon's digital phone subscriber line and their second tier of internet speed. Not sure exactly what the speed is but we are satisfied with it and our over the air antenna. We also have a Roku 3 and for the most part we like it very much but it sometimes says HCDP error. When it does we have no picture but do have sound so we have to unplug the power cord to reset it. Roku really I believe should be looked into as it really does offer many channels and many of those are cable channels and not just HBO either.

They are also improving the Roku every year too and this was the first year they offered voice search which is handy at times and it makes it much easier to search for a show. Roku now has a newer model the Roku 4 and hopefully they have fixed the HCDP error problem, it doesn't happen every time which is good but still annoying.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 12-27-15 at 10:47 PM.