No wonder people are shopping on line more...

Old 01-04-16, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
No wonder people are shopping on line more...

Mid day yesterday (Sunday) I decided to go out and pick up a few things at several different stops. First stop was Staples to buy some carbon paper (needed for transferring pattern to wood in workshop). All they carried in store was a 100 sheet pack at $20. That would be a 3-lifetime supply for me and couldn't see shelling out 20 bucks. Exit Staples. Next stop Michael's (craft store) for a sheet of mat board to mount daughters State Fair entry photographs. Next to nothing stocked in store and none of it black (preferred store, Hobby Lobby, closed on Sundays; they stock a ton of mat board selections). Settled for a black heavy weight poster board sheet that will probably work. Exit Michael's. Last stop HD for a couple of small brass hinges and a latch for a shadow box I'm making for my Mom. Plenty of the latches I use, but the one empty spot on the entire display of like items is the one for the tiny brass hinges I need. Gave up and went home.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-16, 02:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Our local hardware store has been taken over by a large management company, and they have done a great deal to spruce up the place, remodel, etc. Once they reopened, I had a need for some rope pulleys. I go to the shelf and can only find 2. I needed 4. I ask if there were more to which the reply was no. I found out later they are only stocking the store with bare minimums in order to see what people buy before they bring in more. Sound business decision, but it didn't help me, 'cause I had to drive 16 miles to get what I wanted at HD.

Old 01-04-16, 10:27 PM
Not long ago I went with my contractor to HD to get floor tile for the basement as he wanted to be sure he was getting the right thing. So while I was there I thought why not look at the pendant lights as I would like to have a light over the table in the kitchen I will eventually remodel. They had very few pendant lights there but much more on their website. That is kind of frustrating as something like that I would rather see in person.

Most things I don't mind buying online and I probably buy more things online than most people I know but sometimes the personal experience is more important.

Old 01-05-16, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not big on buying stuff online but will if the price or convenience convinces me
I do often check prices/features online prior to going to a brick and mortar store to buy whatever.

Old 01-05-16, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a Samsung pad that eats charger cables, the only place I can find cables that last this long is amazon.

Old 01-05-16, 05:46 AM
Quted by chandler

...they are only stocking the store with bare minimums in order to see what people buy before they bring in more. Sound business decision,.../
Seems like just the opposite at our store. We're stock more crap than you can shake a stick at. We're getting more stock that we have room and the shelves are are so crowed you can't see the products through the selection.

What bugs me is some of the product we sell. Now. let me make clear that we are a small home improvement center chain, not a true hardware store (like Harbor Freight). And as such we try to cater to a broader clientele. In my six years of employment I have only seen us sell one Chamberlin garage door opener. Yet we stock two that take up four feet of shelf space. On the other hand we have four feet of hammers! Now unless you're a carpenter or machinist, most likely you own maybe one or two hammers and in most cases they last a lifetime or more. So how does four feet of hammers displays convert to sales? Yet one cannot buy a vise in our store!

To get back on topic, we do have a ship to store Internet purchase program that is part of the Do-It Best consortium (some have said they we are the tail that wags the dog concerning our partnership with Do-It Best). But I find it very cumbersome to use especially if a customer wants to buy through the Internet at our store location.

To be fair I've only been part of the organization for six years and the company has been around for over 40 years. I guess they know what their doing.

Old 01-05-16, 01:01 PM
I try to buy as much as I can on line but when it comes to hardware I'm fortunate to live near an old fashioned hardware store that hasn't been put out of business by the big box stores. They got stuff in piles that have probably been around for 50 years. OTOH they have guys working there that know where everything is piled.

Old 01-05-16, 01:30 PM
I buy a lot of junk via the Internet. Sometimes it is because I get a better price but more often I get better service. I don't have to drive to several different stores hoping to find what I want and then trying to find the best price. Sometimes the price is actually more but I avoid so much hassle and get the item delivered to my home or at the least, to my mail box.

BUT, it seems that the tracking of packages is getting worse every day. I currently have several items that I am waiting for, some of them were supposed to have been delivered yesterday but the tracking hasn't been updated for several days. One item left San Francisco on December 30 and there has been no more tracking. It doesn't take a week to drive from SF to Seattle.

A second item was supposed to have been delivered Monday but the tracking shows it arrived at the local PO this morning at 7:56 and says will be delivered today but generally it will also state it is "on the truck for delivery" shortly thereafter. Not this time and I won't be surprised if it doesn't show until tomorrow. Third item is via FedEx and the last tracking was on Saturday showing it in Terry, Montana yet it is still being listed for delivery today. I can't believe there are no tracking stations between some little town of 600 people in eastern Montana and the Seattle FedEx distribution center. I'll be surprised if this shows up today and I won't be the least surprised if it comes tomorrow while I am out and they won't leave it without a signature.

Last is a couple of cutting torch tips that tracking shows as having arrived in Atlanta on the first and to be delivered to me on the fourth. No update on that tracking at all.

Old 01-05-16, 01:46 PM
Before this store was bought out, it was a family run business. The old man (90's) who owned it was there every day and knew where everything was. I was looking for ceiling grid lags and had one in my hand. He asked what I needed, and I showed it to him. "C'mon over here". He dusted off the box and asked how many I needed and what the heck they were. I told him and he made sure they had a place and were properly tagged for sale.

Old 01-05-16, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Once went into a fairly large hardware store and asked for a 4" roof jack. You should have seen the "merriment" that ensued.

My paper towel holder broke yesterday. Figured simplest was to just pick one up at Walmart though I dread dealing with Walmart. First I went on line to see what they had. Encouraging I thought looking at the long list till I saw most on the page weren't actually sold by Walmart. Found one I could pay for on line and pickup at Walmart. Sounded grate till I saw the $2.85 shipping applied even if I picked it up at the store.

So today I wander around in the right area of the store not seeing them but finally spotting an employee. After repeating paper towel holder five or six time see manages to repeat back paper towel holder and vaguely point 30 at the ceiling in the far distance. I told I couldn't follow a point like that so she repeats the point. Finally after repeated attempts to get a verbal reply from her she found someone else to help me.

That person did show me. They were in a small jumbled pile on a bottom shelf. No way to tell prices because of the way they were just dumped but luckily I spotted one I'd seen on line and liked so I could guess the price.

In the end though this was actually one of my best Walmart experiences. Only one employee before I got one who spoke English and when I got to checkout a lane was just opening so I was first in line.

Old 01-05-16, 03:28 PM
WE still have a few Hector hardware stores nearby. Very often I'll send customers to them. We also have an old time hardware store called Arther's in the village of Orchard Park. Their kind of interesting because they sell not only the old stuff but very new stuff also including appliances and furniture, auto parts and justu about everything. Only problem is their kinda pricey.

Old 01-05-16, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You guys are all rookies....

I once logged 90 miles on my truck looking for one cake of yeast so my wife could make fresh bread on a Sunday. I still remember her calling me after church to say if I did not get it soon to start the dough, it wasn't going to happen. I told her yeast was in the truck and on the way home. In all, I visited 15 stores in 5 different counties, but got the task done like a good husband. Amateurs....

Old 01-05-16, 04:09 PM
Cracked that whip, didn't she? Teachers can do that, yeah.......

Old 01-06-16, 03:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Norm, across the mountain there is [maybe was] an old hardware store that has a lot of old stock [I haven't been there in 15 yrs] Even though the store was downtown it was heated by a coal stove which amazed me that it would draw ok since it had an almost horizontal run of stove pipe for over 20' Anyway, amongst the new stock were items that had to have been on the shelf for 20+ years including paint cans with labels I hadn't seen since I was an apprentice.

Old 01-06-16, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cracked that whip, didn't she? Teachers can do that, yeah.......
Larry, I just wanted the bread. It is unbelievable good and worth any peril.

We have since learn that we can cook equally as good bread with the use of dry yeast instead of cake yeast. At least I no longer have to chase specialty store for the right yeast anymore.

Old 01-06-16, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Instant yeast is sometimes labeled bread machine yeast. There's no difference. I buy the 4oz jars and they keep for months in the refrigerator. Kroger house brand is $2 cheaper than Fleischmann's and as far as I can tell just as good. At an average of one teaspoon per loaf of bread a 4oz jar makes a lot of loaves.

Old 01-07-16, 03:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just wanted the bread. It is unbelievable good and worth any peril.
I know what you mean! When I was little my mother used to bake bread, 3 loaves at a time. If I could sneak in the kitchen, grab a loaf, smear some butter on it, and get out the door - that loaf was history She always said all that fresh bread would rot out my gut, now I'm beginning to wonder if she was right

Old 01-08-16, 05:31 AM
BUT, it seems that the tracking of packages is getting worse every day.

My refrigerator crapped out on New Years Day. On the 2nd I ordered a replacement compressor start relay. It was delivered to USPS on the 4th with an estimated delivery of the 6th. That date just keeps slipping. Tracking today shows that it arrived at a distribution center (100 miles away) for delivery on the 8th/9th.

Meanwhile we're using a cooler on the deck.

Old 01-09-16, 12:34 AM
I had something happen like you have cwbuff only it was with a whole refrigerator and not any parts. At our house we like having two refrigerators even though it is just my elderly mom and me. This gives us a chance to stock up on some frozen items we like when they are on sale and we also buy some extra dairy items at times. We had a very old Estate Refrigerator(made by Whirlpool) and it had been damaged from day one at our rental but we decided to use it here as it still worked. Well to make a long story as short as possible we bought a new refrig for upstairs in our kitchen.

The old refrig was to go downstairs once big Orange delivered our new refrig a Frigidaire. It took them three deliveries to finally deliver a refrigerator worthy of being in my house. One was smashed on the side and looked something like an accordion and the other the seal was bad on the refrig. Finally this last one comes and there is a small dent in it so I said I can't believe this o.k. I give up give me a credit so they gave me $50.00 damage allowance. The allowance wasn't much and I still wish they would give me more for my troubles..

I bought the refrigerator online by the way as their selection of refrigerators and other appliances is dismal at best. My nearest Big Orange is also their smaller store and the one with the bigger selection in Silver Spring is out of the way. Even the Silver Spring store though doesn't have everything you want and you have to buy online. The old Estate refrigerator by the way they hauled away.