cheap little sports car

Old 01-05-16, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
cheap little sports car

Gotta love my wife, while she is very knowledgeable about some things - other times she just doesn't have a clue. Had to take my jeep in for a silent recall fix this morning and of course she had to look at every vehicle in the show room. She said "look at this cute little sports car, bet it doesn't cost a lot" It was a Dodge Viper although even I was shocked at the price - $126k I knew they were expensive but that is almost double what I thought they were.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-16, 03:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
other times she just doesn't have a clue.
I think that she has a clue this time. Be a sport. Buy the car for her.

Old 01-05-16, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I refuse to buy/insure a car that might be worth more than my house/property!

besides I'm not certain I could even climb in/out of something that small and low to the ground

Old 01-05-16, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Who says she would let you ride in it?

Towed a Miata the other day and had to get down in the driver's seat for a minute, thought I was going to need my boom & winch to get back out. My first car was a 1966 Austin-Healy Sprite, but no way I could own anything that low any more. If I was going to buy a car worth almost as much as my house, it certainly wouldn't be a Mopar product.

Old 01-05-16, 03:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I used to rebuild and drive British Sports Cars. My last one was a '73 TR6. 2 1/2 year wheels off restoration. Center of balance was the top of the seat cushion. I could take corners at twice the posted speed limit. Wow. I left the airport one night and was challenged to an interstate "drag" race. I obliged, clicking the electric overdrive at 100 mph. Listen. When the dashed lines on the intestate become solid, you are going too fast Realized at 130 that I could surely get a ticket, I backed out. Of course I never saw the poor guy challenging me. Found out later he was running a 4:11 final drive while mine was 273:1. Big difference.

Old 01-05-16, 04:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Who says she would let you ride in it?
I was wondering the same thing. It was an old day yesterday but it's a new day now.

Old 01-05-16, 07:41 PM
even I was shocked at the price - $126k
I am not too surprised of the price marksr, I am not sure if you have ever seen the show MotorWeek it is on PBS and produced here in Maryland by MPT. Some of those cars they test go for even more money than that. Myself I can't see anyone needing a car or truck that expensive except to show off and say look at me I am rich. Must be rich because most cars depreciate in value within the first few months, some longer but not too many.

Old 01-05-16, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have an 1800cc motorcycle, V-twin. Made the mistake of trying to keep up with a Corvette..... Let's just say I backed off before he did. Got up to about 140 and that's enough, plenty of throttle left for both of us, but don't want to go there.

The Viper, I wouldn't have even thought to give the bike some gas except for a joke.

I admire the "rich" guys though, they keep this stuff alive and are about the only way you're gonna see a true classic on the road.

My last one was a '73 TR6
A true classic....

Old 01-05-16, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Mark...it was probably an ACR or a GTS version that was marked up some. They run about $119K and $108K respectively. The base version goes for only about $87K...only! The can't go that far above list on a base version and ever sell it, unless they find a rube who just wont the lottery.

Funny thing is, the ACR is pretty much a track only kinda car and at that it's very good, but it's also the slowest of all the versions with "only" a 177mph top speed. It's because of all the aero tricks that give it downforce to stick to the track, but drag at high speed.

BTW...I'd take a new Corvette Z06 over any Viper any day.

Old 01-06-16, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It blows my mine how much new car prices have gone up. When I left the dealer I saw a jeep that looked exactly like mine with a $32,999 sticker on the window I remember having a rich boss man years ago that bought is wife a Cadillac for her birthday and paid a whopping $16k for it!

My youngest son used to have a Miata, he took me out to eat in it once - not sure I could have gotten in/out if the top hadn't been down

Old 01-06-16, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Well, if you want to blow the budget, might as well go all out:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...adius=500&mmt=[DODGE[VIPER[]][]]&minPrice=100000&listingId=366670478&Log=0

Old 01-06-16, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Bummer, the link won't connect, but it's a 2010 Viper SRT-10 @ $375,000.

Old 01-06-16, 06:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm on a fixed income but even when I wasn't I never had a budget that could include that figure