I wish I had a camera

Old 01-10-16, 12:46 PM
I wish I had a camera

I went to HD today. In the parking lot just in front of the entrance there was a guy panhandling with a sign that read "homeless and hungry." About 10' directly behind him was another sign - a large HD sign that read "NOW HIRING"

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-16, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sad to say, but he wasn't looking for work, just a handout. That money may be for his hungry kids or for other nefarious purposes, but work would tie him down to a schedule too much. I can picture the situation, though. Ironic.

Old 01-10-16, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back when I lived in central fla I ran the painting on 4-5 different jobs at the same time so I spent a good deal of time traveling between jobs. I got to noticing there was one bum that was one corner on Monday, across town on Tuesday, etc. Maybe I'm not compassionate enough but I've always worked hard and at times on jobs that I didn't like so it irks me to see an able bodied person bum! It might not be your first/second choice but there is always a job out there to be had.

Old 01-10-16, 03:41 PM
Panhandling is his job! I hear there are some that make over $1000 + in a week and it's tax free money.

Old 01-10-16, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In Cal, there are panhandlers on almost every corner around strip malls and the sort. Some even set up shop with nearby lawn chairs and cocktails.
Giving them money only encourages it and I never do.

Old 01-10-16, 04:32 PM
Same HD shopping center a couple of years ago. There was a very attractive young lady that sat at the entrance with a sign that said "laid off single mom living in my car." She had her baby with her in a stroller.

The local TV station did a report on her. She was bringing in $30-40K tax free.
She was not living in her car. She was living in a nice apartment with her boyfriend.

Old 01-10-16, 05:30 PM
It's always been my nature to help people, but over the years I've become somewhat cynical. I suppose because of things like seeing a baby sleeping in the the box the brand new TV came in. (Grrrrrrr!!)

At least I haven't reached the point of the comedian that quipped, "When a man's down, kick him. Give him a reason to get up!"

Old 01-10-16, 07:43 PM
In my neighborhood we have an HD and a Shoppers Food the panhandlers stay away from HD but they flock to Shoppers Food just like a bunch of birds. Usually not too bad maybe one person begging for money but sometimes two people. I just tell them I don't have any money which is true I don't have all that much but I wouldn't beg for money and I get by. Things are so expensive though even if someone needed money who I knew I couldn't give it to them.

Old 01-11-16, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On the other side of the coin, when I was in trucking last century, at the entrance of the Atlanta Farmer's Market a group of "lumpers" would gather every morning. Their job was to unload your truck. There was a "pecking" order and no one broke it. You would pay them $100 per load while you slept. One guy per truck. They could do 10 trucks a day,each, and this was back in the 70's

Old 01-11-16, 05:56 AM
I hate to sound cynical but I agree that many of these people make out quite well.
We have few favorite charities that we patronize. But they can bug me also. Last night we get a phone call from one of the charities that we regularly give to. It was a thank you and can you give us more call. My wife took the call. She told them we are not prepared to donate more at this time. But they insisted with all kinds of accolades about us being special and the few that give and so on. My wife tries to be very polite, but that is the wrong thing to do on these types of calls. At one point she tells them that we have company at the door and must go. But they keep her on the line for at least another two minutes. I told her to just hang up. This kind of treatment actually causes resentment and makes me not want to give to that charity again. Don't they get it? Take the donation, ask once more then shut up and get out! Don't harass me.

Old 01-11-16, 06:01 AM
Old 01-11-16, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
But they keep her on the line for at least another two minutes. I told her to just hang up.
I know we were raised to be polite but when dealing with telemarketers hanging up is the best thing to do!

Old 01-11-16, 11:50 AM
The guy in the article looks as if he is getting more than enough to eat. I suspect that ME is much like the rest of New England with food stamps, free health insurance and subsidized housing. If this guy and his wife would get off their ass and work, (he seems fit enough to stand on the median for hours) two minimum wage incomes would probably be enough to live on. That's assuming that they would not be stuffing their earnings up their noses.

Old 01-11-16, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I read an article in the paper awhile back that said food stamps was one of the main reasons for obesity in the US. I don't begrudge anyone food to eat but there is no reason for those on food stamps to eat better than the working poor [or not so poor] I know a few folks on food stamps and what really irritates me is when they think they are too good to eat the generic brand or lesser cuts

Old 01-11-16, 01:28 PM
I always seem to get into the wrong line at the grocery store and this time I out did myself. Busy day and lines were long so I grabbed what looked like the shortest, at least it only had one person unloading the two carts. Turned out to be someone shopping for 6 different people and she had two lists for each one, the food stamp list and the cash list. Needless to say this took a long time so I got a good look at what people use their cash for. I assumed her activities were legal, but the smokes, the booze, snacks and other temptations that were paid with cash while they maxed out their EBT card made me want to walk away. The abuse really hurts when you see it up close.

My thoughts go to the people who really need the help and those that are abusing the system are stealing from them.

Bud