Misleading News Reports: Flint and Lead

Old 01-16-16, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Misleading News Reports: Flint and Lead

Listening to the new reports about lead in Flint MI you would think the problem was the Flint river is full of lead. Today for the first time a reporter actually mentioned the real problem but then went back to blaming the flint river water.

The real problem is they have lead water mains. Lead has been known to be unsafe for drinking since Roman times and has not been permitted for use in water pipes for a very long time. The real problem is they need to replace the pipes. The PH of the water would not matter if the pipes weren't lead. You though don't hear anything on the news about replacing the pipes which is the real problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-16, 05:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Why didn't the original source of water leach the lead, from the pipes?

The PH of the water would not matter if the pipes weren't lead
The lead pipes wouldn't have mattered if they had left it alone. What happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

The answer was explained by someone in the Carter Administration. He basically said, it's biggest problem in government.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/i...nt-fix-it.html

Old 01-16-16, 05:34 PM
I am sure that is what our water authority WSSC is doing when they are replacing our pipes. I know both in Maryland and D.C. there has been talk about lead in the water pipes for years. D.C.'s pipes are in much worse shape as far as lead is concerned with Maryland coming in second. About the only thing in this area that hasn't been covered up. The real problem has been getting the money to do the repairs D.C. with its more corrupt government until fairly recently and WSSC not getting enough money until recently in Maryland.

That and an aging infrastructure that has really been done in a piecemeal fashion and until recently it seems poor planning with very little thought as to how things would be done.

Old 01-16-16, 05:41 PM
The lead pipes wouldn't have mattered if they had left it alone. What happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
I kind of have the same thoughts about our street I really kind of doubt there is all that much lead in the pipes but how do I know? I do know they say that lead leaches into the water as any water has a corrosive effect on lead making it go into the water. While lead may not be as bad for adults as it is for children it has been known to cause brain damage over time.

Old 01-16-16, 05:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
America doesn't care about it's aging infrastructure. From where did they get 150 Billion to give to Iran & why isn't spent in Flint or Hedgeclipper's block?

Old 01-16-16, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
There are lead water mains in the street and to the houses in many places. Lead was cheap and easy to use. It was used exclusively for water in the early 1900's in many big cities. Philadelphia has problems with lead.

Under continuous use.... the water is fairly lead free. If it sits in the pipe for many hours or days.... the water needs to be flushed before it's used for drinking.

Old 01-17-16, 06:18 AM
From where did they get 150 Billion to give to Iran

Not sure of the total, but the money being "given" to Iran is actually their money. The monies are Iranian assets that were frozen as part of economic sanctions against Iran. They are being released as part of the Iran nuke deal.

If anyone is concerned about the level of lead in their water supply, have it tested.

CDC Lead Tips

Flint seems to be another example of bureaucratic ineptitude and a population of sheep citizens.

Old 01-17-16, 07:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I never heard that. That must be another one of those false reports.

Old 01-18-16, 07:12 AM
I completely agree with Ray's OP. I live about 20 minutes from Flint and their water issue is in the news every day here...and the media consistently gets the details wrong. The governor gives his State Of The State address today and is expected to speak at length about the problem--and his culpability in the decision to switch from Detroit City water to the Flint river to save money while the city was under state control.

Old 01-18-16, 08:42 AM
After living in MI for a few years, I learned that the political system over-rides any engineering logic. Flint is just a little Detroit with the same systems that put MI (the lower lower section to use a local term) into where it is now.

Dick

Old 01-18-16, 09:44 AM
The most plausible explanation I have heard regarding the situation in Flint is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the source, but rather that the water from Detroit's system was treated to prevent it from carrying the lead from the pipes downstream, and that authorities for the Flint system were aware of this, but did not follow the prescribed procedures. As for the state of Michigan's culpability, the verdict is still out, but even as a simple lowly citizen of the state I have been aware of something not being right for many months now, and I am having a hard time believing the governor did not assign someone to investigate this a long time ago. Unfortunately, I think that situations such as this are going to increase, because communities seem to be content with bigger government, more lush facilities, and meanwhile blind to the fact that a majority of out infrastructure is coming of age.

Old 01-19-16, 07:04 AM
And it's not just tap water. Roads are built by low-bidders and can't make it through a single winter without extensive patching the following spring. Sewers are undersized and crumbling. Electric service hasn't kept up with our need for more gadgets and flashing lights. Natural gas lines are almost as old as the water mains and mostly made of steel. They are decaying and the cost to replace them is huge since they run next to and under roads.

Yet, like Pulpo pointed out, we seem to have an endless supply of cash to send overseas trying to buy allies.

Old 01-23-16, 08:01 PM
A little late to be posting in this thread but I finally got around to reading this letter from the president of Flint's Kettering University to parents and its an excellent, balanced examination of what's going on in Flint. ..and many other older cities. It's very critical of how the media has been misrepresenting this issue and creating their own narrative.

http://www.kettering.edu/sites/defau...entsAlumni.pdf