(Pizza) hot and ready?

Old 01-17-16, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
(Pizza) hot and ready?

First let me say I like Little Ceasers and they normally do a good job. Stopped there after church this morning and bought a deep dish pizza. I should have noticed that they didn't have any pizzas ready but I didn't But no big deal, I've waited 5 minutes or so before ..... but not so today, 15 minutes later I got the pizza and my wife said 'let's wait until we get home' Big surprise - she had to finish baking the pizza before we could eat! I guess they were short handed or maybe had new help but WOW

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-16, 11:55 AM
We quit buying pizzas from take out places years ago. Now we make our own. I stop at a local pizza joint and buy their dough. We tried making our own dough which came out fine but it was too much trouble. The pizzas we make are better (only because we make them exactly how we like them) and a whole lot cheaper.

Wife's favorite is shrimp and asparagus tips. Mine is blackened chicken.

Old 01-17-16, 08:17 PM
I like about any pizza that can be delivered but mainly places where you can get free pizza with enough orders like Papa John's for instance or Domino's pizza. The Domino's is closer and it usually arrives hotter than Papa John's depending on the day of the week and traffic etc. Both pizzas are about the same and we usually don't eat all of the pizza in one day anyway.

Old 01-17-16, 08:36 PM
As far as I am concerned Little Caesar's pizza is what you eat just before starving to death. Now their bread products are fantastic but if you read the ingredients you will find that you couldn't get much more UNhealthy food unless that was your goal.

I'm lucky, or maybe cursed, in that I have a local pizza joint that makes excellent pizza. Unfortunately they also charge a pretty penny (north of $20) for it. The only way I can afford it is to use a discount coupon and even then it is pretty much four to six weeks between visits.

Now I DO make a pretty mean pizza myself but my hands simply cannot take the kneading of the dough anymore. In case you want to try yourself Winco has dry mix in their bulk food area that makes an excellent crust. Sometimes they have the pre-made dough in the deli section but I have found that making the dough yourself is actually a better dough.

Last week I was at Safeway and I found their Signature Pizza on sale so I bought one. It is also a very good pizza, especially so for being a frozen pizza. I thought it was so good that when I found coupons for them at $3.99 each I bought four and ate the last one a few minutes ago.

Old 01-18-16, 02:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Furd, I'm not sure any fast food is all that healthy ... but we do like Little Ceasars deep dish pizza along with the $8 price. I don't think I've ever lived anywhere where you could get pizza delivered. I have heard that the pizza place in the next town will deliver to an old store parking lot about 1 mile away from me.

Old 01-18-16, 05:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

Anyone use or ever think of using plain pre-made pizza shells? Rather good IMO. Buy all the toppings of choice, garnish and bake it yourself. The pre-made packaged shells (Brand starts with a "B") come in different sizes and several types. Add your own toppings and bake. YUM-YUM!

And the aromas of fresh baked pizzas add to the pleasures....

Old 01-18-16, 06:35 AM
Furd, I'm not sure any fast food is all that healthy ...
There is a difference between less-than-healthly and downright bad for you. Depending on the specific ingredients pizza CAN be reasonably healthy but you have to avoid the trans fats as well as the hydrogenated or saturated fats...something that the Little Caesar's bread products abound in. But they DO taste fantastic. I used to be able to eat two bags of the Crazy Bread all by myself, until I read the nutritional label.

There are several brands of pre-made pizza crusts although I think the Bob*** brand is definitely one of the lesser brands as far as taste is considered. Several decades ago Safeway sold a two-pack of pizza crusts that were outstanding. These days if I am too lazy to make my own dough but I want home made I will use the pre-made from a company that has Mama in the name.

Another source of pre-made crust is restaurant supply houses. Cash & Carry is the local one in my area although I think they are a national chain. Only downside is that you have to REALLY love pizza because if I remember correctly the packages have at least 25 crusts.

If you make your own you should always grate your own cheese. I prefer Monterey Jack or Co-Jack cheese myself for the base and then add a triple blend of Asiago, Parmesan and Romano over the meat.

Old 01-18-16, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if they offer it everywhere, the Little Caesars Hawaiian pizza is pretty good. Ham and pineapple.

Old 01-18-16, 08:33 AM
The baked Little Ceasars pizza is OK, but with little personal choices. Our draw back is that my wife decides it sound good at the time, but she picks one up and drives back home (5 miles)from where she is and it may be 10F, so the end results are never good, unless you want a "steamed" pizza.

We usually go the "take and bake" concept where you order a specific pizza just get a standard version. - About 8 to 12 minutes baking at 425F.

We have different tastes, so we can get different toppings on each half of the crust (thin, medium or thick). I usually get white garlic sauce and she gets red sauce on her half. The additions (onions, sausage, pepperoni, etc.) are usually the same on both halves. When it gets home, I often add some stuff she hates (gorganzola/blue cheese or even anchovies). When we order, the oven it turned on and the pizza is picked up about 1/2 mile away and oven is already heated. - Easy to customize, quick and cheap and we can easily add what the shop does not carry.

Also, you can always pick up early and hold it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to fit schedules.

Dick

Old 01-26-16, 09:35 PM
I bought a Little Caesar's box of cheese bread last week. Oh, man, that was GOOD! Just thinking about it is almost enough to cause me to put my shoes on and go get some more. Unfortunately, they close in about 6 minutes. Probably for the best anyway.

Old 01-26-16, 11:36 PM
I love little ceasers Hot n ready pizza. i can and have Eaten a Whole pizza in one sitting. Our boss at work often buys us little ceasers pizza as a treat. We sometimes get the 3 meat treat also.

Old 01-27-16, 02:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Strange how when I was young and slim I could eat an entire pizza by myself and not be stuffed. Now that I'm old and fat, me and my wife will each eat a quarter of the pizza and have to save the rest for later because we are full.

Old 01-27-16, 03:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We have a Mom 'n Pop pizzeria in a neighboring town that we frequent as opposed to the larger chains or frozen in store pizzas. Crust smells like the beer they use to make it with, and yeasty (if that is a word, Joel). I normally eat the pizza and not the crust on a normal pizza due to it not having any taste, but will fight for this crust. Awesome.

Old 01-27-16, 05:03 AM
I like Little Caesar'. But I like any pizza. Some people have a favorite or don't like a certain brand. To me any pizza is good and everyone is different. The only time I had to throw out a pizza is many years ago I bought a pizza from a local bar and restaurant late one night. They used Swiss cheese. Enough said!

Old 01-27-16, 01:09 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

As I have already written, I think the Little Caesar's pizza is what you eat just before starving to death. I didn't always feel this way. Back when LC first opened in my area they sold TWO for the price of one and they came in a rectangular paper bag/envelope rather than a box. I would often buy it at least once a week. At the same time, my sister (who is more of a pizzaholic than I) thought they were so bad that she bought one (double) once and threw out half of the first and all of the second. Nowadays she actually likes the LC pizza.

I have lots of pizza to choose from, local places, franchise places and grocery stores where both fresh and frozen pizza is available. For frozen I sometimes buy the el cheapo Totino's Party Pizza for about a buck and a quarter. It is reminiscent of the original Little Caesar's in being a really inexpensive pizza. I will often add some other cheeses as well as hamburger or sausage to it. Safeway's "Signature" pizza, as I previously wrote is (in my opinion, of course) very good. I haven't tried the Safeway fresh pizza but the Winco fresh pizza ia also very good.

For franchise I prefer Pizza Hut over Dominoes but I think both franchises are overpriced for both quality and quantity. At least in my area the P-H is staffed with kids in their late teens to early twenties and they don't much care about making a really good pizza or about satisfying the customer. The bread products at Little Caesar's are every bit as good as at Pizza Hut but for about half the price.

Of my local restaurants it runs the gamut of really bad to really good. Generally the really good is considerably more expensive, around twenty bucks and up for a large two-topping pizza. Luckily, my favorite place usually has coupons for $3 to $5 off.

I have both Papa John's and Papa Murphy's franchises nearby but I haven't bought any myself. I have eaten both at other people's houses but I wasn't all that impressed. If I have to heat up the oven and bake it my self I might as well save a few bucks and get frozen or else make it from itch myself.

Old 01-27-16, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Its insane that all you guys eat that poison!!! Just my opinion though... I will say no more after this post...

Just to note I do not eat fast food.. Anything I buy I try to stay around 5 ingredients or less...

I buy shoprite food stores frozen pizza.. Its the best out there IMO...

Ingredients here,,

ShopRite Pizza - Cheese 24.00 oz The Fresh Grocer

Here is what I found with the brands you all talk about...

All those franchise pizza places are using an FDA loophole to sneak processed free glutamic acid into your food, which has the same effect as MSG – all without warning you. They simply use other forms of free glutamic acid (such as Hydrolyzed Soy Protein), which is the main component of MSG. This allows them to have “clean labels” and deceive us into believing their product contains no MSG – when it actually does!

MSG tricks your brain into believing that what you are eating tastes so great that you want more of it. Your taste buds sense that there is more protein in the food than there really is – which is great for food manufacturers that want to save money by using less or lower quality meat. These ingredients also promote an addiction to pizza so that you keep coming back to order more. Repeat business keeps their pockets lined with lots of cash. Ever wonder why you can’t stop at one slice? This is why.

Toxic hidden MSG ingredients buried in popular pizza menu items:

Autolyzed Yeast Extract (Hidden MSG)
Textured or Hydrolyzed Proteins (Hidden MSG and GMO)
Hydrolyzed Corn (Hidden MSG and GMO)
Modified Starches (Hidden MSG or Possible GMO)
Natural Flavors (Possible Hidden MSG)
Disodium Inosinate or Disodium Guanylate (MSG enhancers)

Partially Hydrogenated Oils (Trans-fat) – There is absolutely no reason for anyone to still be using this. These oils are so bad that even our FDA has woken up and warns that it’s not safe to eat this in any food.

Oh heck here is the link and there are many more..... Just do your own search of ingrediants and do your own research...

If You've Ever Eaten Pizza Before, This Will Blow Your Mind (Maybe Literally)

Old 01-27-16, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Oh its the same pizza you get frozen or from the supermarket bakery department..

Its funny because all the pizzas are square...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXM4uiYu1tc

Old 01-27-16, 03:55 PM
Mike, Furd,

Without all that other stuff what's left to make it taste good?

Old 01-27-16, 04:09 PM
Who wants to live forever? Not this kid.

Old 01-28-16, 05:20 AM
What's wrong with MSG?

WIKIPEDIA

Old 01-28-16, 09:00 AM
What's wrong with MSG?
There are many things wrong with MSG and one of the worst is causing difficulty in breathing. This happened to me years ago at a restaurant I was eating my food and enjoying it when suddenly I had difficulty breathing. I was fairly young then too just in my early twenties and later on I found out the food had MSG in it. I no longer have difficulty breathing when eating MSG laden foods but I have extreme itching and other problems associated with eating MSG laden foods.

MSG though is a strange chemical sometimes it can bother you and at other times it will not bother you at all. This happens with me and I have talked to others and the same thing has happened to them too. There are many different side effects the Wikipedia article glossed over or didn't report. Wikipedia is fine but it sometimes leaves things out it shouldn't. Here is another source about MSG MSG Is This Silent Killer Lurking in Your Kitchen Cabinets.

After reading the article you may not want to eat anything with MSG in it. Some people are never bothered by it and for them I am very happy but for other people such as myself it can be a killer. I still though eat Chinese food and I still eat pizza just in moderation and not too much at a time. If I start to itch real bad and have other symptoms I reach for the antihistamine and my symptoms go away fairly fast. There is one restaurant in particular that I don't eat at too much MSG added.

Old 01-28-16, 12:58 PM
Thanks to the internet we can probably cite dueling articles about MSG until the cows come home.

This one is from the National Institute of Health. Their scientific findings mirror earlier studies done in the US, Europe and Australia. The study results in summary -

CONCLUSIONS:

MSG challenges in subjects with and without a perceived sensitivity to MSG failed to induce signs or symptoms of asthma. Therefore in view of the poorly conducted studies that proposed that MSG induced asthma and the subsequent studies that failed to confirm those findings, it is important to maintain a healthy skepticism about the existence of MSG sensitivity in individuals with asthma.

The best evidence supporting the FDA's GRAS designation is this comment from the WIKIPEDIA article - "Food critic Jeffrey Steingarten argued that fear of MSG should be seen as a Western-centric mindset, lacking awareness of its common use in Far Eastern cooking without apparent problems: "If MSG is a problem, why doesn't everyone in China have a headache?"

Old 01-28-16, 04:41 PM
I have to concur with CWbuff on this type of thing. I have no doubt that Hedge had a reaction to MSG and/or a related environmental trigger either in conjugation with MSG or independent of it but coincidentally at the same time. Scientific studies and very controlled test with a large sample size is needed to come to any reasonable conclusion.

That said, I know of many individuals who react with everyday items that can be life threatening to them but cannot be attributed as being harmful to everyone else. Go figure.

Old 01-28-16, 08:40 PM
Therefore in view of the poorly conducted studies that proposed that MSG induced asthma and the subsequent studies that failed to confirm those findings, it is important to maintain a healthy skepticism about the existence of MSG sensitivity in individuals with asthma.
That quote of course can be read either way either scientists believe that there is some validity to what people have been saying or they don't. I think that everyone can agree though that more studies need to be made concerning MSG. With me it definitely is an MSG problem I know I like chicken wings from 7-11 but I rarely if ever eat them because the itching starts if I do so I take my antihistamine and try to enjoy them. So for me I would rather eat more natural foods from organic grocers or the organic section of the grocery.

Old 01-29-16, 07:37 AM
HC - I have no doubt that certain individuals can have sensitivity response to MSG. There are all sorts of "trigger" foods out there.

My point was that there is no scientific connection between MSG and asthma or any other adverse medical response in the general public. More important - there is absolutely no evidence that supports identifying MSG as a "poison".

Whenever a topic like this comes up my first response is to look at studies done by respected health research and academic organizations. All too often you have to wade through flawed studies, agenda driven claptrap and "we're all gonna' die" blogs written by members of the tin hat brigade.

Old 01-29-16, 02:17 PM
I agree with you cwbuff there really isn't any scientific connection and I don't believe MSG is a poison either at least not with everyone and even then I couldn't call it a real poison since the side effects are reversible. I like looking at the whole picture myself including those of major respected groups and those who may be of minor groups. Sometimes the major groups can be wrong and later on they admit they are wrong. The same thing for a long time was said about peanut allergies which were not acknowledged until much later on.

Old 01-29-16, 02:43 PM
While I don't remember anyone disputing peanut allergies, I also can't remember anyone having peanut allergies until fairly recently. Now it seems epidemic. My oldest grandson has a nut allergy and he carries an epi pen wherever he goes. I think the answer is that 50 or 60 years ago nobody got their kids routinely tested for allergies. Now it's almost mandatory. Back in the day if your kid broke out from eating peanuts you just told him not to eat them.

I saw a health segment on asthma and allergies on TV a couple of years ago. It featured a doctor from the CDC. She said that the reason that allergies and asthma are so prevalent is that we have become too clean. Kids used to be exposed t stuff routinely in small quantities and they would develop a tolerance. Until recently conventional wisdom has been "don't give your kids nuts until they've been tested". Now it seems that at least some allergists are recommending very limited exposure early on.

I have a maple syrup sensitivity. It started 4-5 years ago. I grew up on maple syrup, we had our own sugarbush and I've done a bit of "sugarin". It's the only thing I will put on my pancakes or waffles. Now when I eat maple syrup my sinuses get stuffed and I'll have a sneezing fit that might last 15 0r 20 minutes. I still eat it - just no longer in pubic. I'll put up with it rather than eat that Mrs butterworth crap.

Here is some interesting reading regarding food allergies, asthma and fatalities.

Huff Post

CDC

Old 01-29-16, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not related to food, exactly , but our grandson has a peanut allergy, so we definitely watch what we fix for food when he visits. His mom also told us he has an allergy to cats. Uh-Oh, we have two cats, and tried to keep them away from him when we was smaller, but to no avail. He sleeps with one of them, so who is really to say what is an allergy or not.

I respect those with allergies as I see their bodies react to them. I am just grateful I don't have any of them.

Old 01-29-16, 05:37 PM
Speaking of allergies and cats I tested positive for being allergic to cat dander but during my pre-teen years I went to an allergist and had shots. Afterwards I never had any problems being around cats so people can definitely get over their allergies. I am not sure if they have tried allergy shots for peanut allergies but it would be great if they could stop whatever is triggering the allergy to peanuts. By the way getting back on topic I had a Papa Johns pizza the other day quite good and according to them they have no MSG in it.

I am not endorsing Papa Johns but I do think their pizza tastes quite good. The delivery was a bit on the slow side though but their chicken wings that we also ate were good so it made up for the slow delivery.

Old 01-30-16, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Speaking of allergies and cats
My wife is allergic to cat dander. We have 2 outside cats, I feed them everyday but they don't really like me but they love my wife. They run from me and rub up against her

Old 01-30-16, 07:10 AM
While not a full-blown allergy, I am "sensitive" to cats. I don't care, I'm still not giving them up.

Old 01-30-16, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Little Ceaser's has gone through their ups and downs. Back in the late 80's/ early 90's my friends and I would live on the stuff but that was when they would give you two pizzas for the same price of one. No, it is not great pizza but it would fill you up. I still LOVE the crazy bread! Dough, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Whats not to like?

Old 02-01-16, 09:43 AM
Have you ever tried reheating leftover pizza in a hot skillet with lots of butter?
If it's cold from the fridge, microwave it warm first--then "fry" it.

WAY BETTER than fresh!

Old 02-01-16, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
After the microwaved heated pizza smells up the kitchen I doubt I'd have the patience to wait longer

40+ yrs ago I rented a house that had a non working oven in the stove. The problem was I didn't find that out until after I went to the grocery store .... and bought TV dinners, pot pies and pizza - all of which I tried to fix on top of the stove. Best I can remember the pot pies were the only things that came out decent.

Old 02-02-16, 03:48 AM
What's wrong with cold pizza? Hot, room temperature, or right from the refrigerator pizza is ALWAYS good.

Old 02-02-16, 11:23 PM
I'll eat leftover pizza out of the fridge while waiting for the other slices to heatup in the microwave.

Old 02-02-16, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...I'll chime in...LC is about the worst you can get but it's cheap and filling (because it's mostly bread). Of course this comes from a guy who pulled a pizza box out of the trash after coming back from liberty and ate all the crusts people left.

If I want an American pizza...it's PJ for quality and Dom for speed. Italian pizza is a whole 'nother story. Cause I hope you all know...pizza was an American thing. Go to Naples or Rome and get a wood fired pizza...oh man! You have to look far and wide to find something as good in the States. They are out there...but you have to be in a larger area to find them.

Old 02-03-16, 06:40 AM
If you are ever in Maryland stop by one of the many Three Brothers Pizza they don't deliver but their food is really worth the trip. Don't let the name pizza fool you as this is a full fledged Italian restaurant and they have all kinds of Italian food a great deal cheaper than most places. I haven't been to a Three Brothers in a while now but I just read some reviews and most were favorable. Another place that used to be good was a place called Tags it was in Laurel the best Italian food ever but unfortunately it has been gone for years.

Old 02-03-16, 12:38 PM
Vic - I was stationed in Naples and I've probably made 20 return trips to Italy for work after I retired from the Navy. I agree about Napolitean pizza, especially Margarita but in my experience pizza in Rome was hit or miss. By the time you get north of Florence most pizza sucks.

Chain Pizzas serve a purpose, but they just can't cut it when compared to the real deal.

Food and Wine Mag Best Pizza in America

Last edited by cwbuff; 02-03-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Your link takes me to a Disneyworld app.