New problem

Old 01-18-16, 04:20 PM
New problem

I don't know if this is my problem or a forum problem. For quite some time (months, maybe years) when I open more than about two dozen tabs with different threads in this forum my Firefox bogs down to the point that I have to do a ctrl-alt-del and exit Firefox. Then I can restart and everything is fine. Today I notice that none of the tabs on this forum will stop loading unless I click the x in the address bar for each individual tab. I ONLY have this problem with this forum and otherwise I can have fifty or more tabs open in several different windows without any trouble.

For what it is worth I am still using Win XP with all the service packs and upgrades.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-16, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Most likely it has to do with the extensive amount of scripts that are running in this forum.....26-28 at last count.

I run NoScript in firefox and have most of the scripts blocked.

Two dozen tabs are probably eating up all your available RAM too.

Old 01-18-16, 04:58 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's a Firefox problem. Firefox eats all the CPU time. You can see it if you open the task manager. I have about 10 tabs opened ATM & this forum loads fine. Certain sites eat more CPU than others. Try to close whatever you don't need.

I would also run msconfig. Go to the startup tab & disable whatever you don't need to load at boot time. That's probably most everything that's listed.

Edit. PJmax is correct about no script. This forum allows many other sites to garner info at our expense. I've mentioned that before.

Old 01-18-16, 05:51 PM
Pulpo, it is not a Firefox problem. Right now my cpu is running between 0 and 5% usage. I can have six windows open and literally dozens of tabs within each window and have absolutely no problems whatsoever as long as I am not on this forum. It is ONLY when I am on the DIY forum that I have problems.

You ARE correct that I have too many processes running in the background. Right now it is 41 processes and I often close down to about 28 by manually closing down silly things like wikifind, various updates and the like. Considering that most people I know have double the number of processes running at all times I don't think that is my problem.

As I type this the tab has the silly circle on the left running like crazy signifying that it is in a constant state of update. This is ONLY happening on this forum, no other site has this problem.

PJ, I am rather stupid when it comes to computers. Although I have seen the term I have no idea of what "scripts" are or what their purpose is. Could you please explain them and point out what I am likely to lose by running a "no scripts" program?

BTW, I have no problems with running out of RAM.

Old 01-18-16, 06:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Pulpo, it is not a Firefox problem.
Okay, let me know what the fix is when you find it. It's true that this site allows about 30 scripts. I would still edit the startup, in msconfig

Old 01-18-16, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Furd, have you tried Chrome? I usually use Seamonkey (Mother of Firefox) but in the Kindle area of Amazon the scripts tie Seamonkey in knots. The same sites run fine in plain vanilla Chrome.

Old 01-19-16, 04:35 AM
If it were me I would start looking for a good used computer with more CPU space and more Ram. I also would use AdBlock Plus instead of Noscript as Noscript can block processes you might want to see like YouTube videos for instance which this forum sometimes has available. AdBlock Plus gets rid of all of the annoying ads and helps to block some cookies and is all I ever use. Noscript isn't absolutely terrible but it is very annoying and isn't great on banking websites.

Old 01-19-16, 04:56 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Banking web sites don't allow other domains, to collect info. They maybe greedy but they aren't stupid. One click in NoScript options allows javascript to run. This site allows about 34 scripts. NoScript blocks more than half of them. That gives Firefox & your PC some room to breathe. XP is old & needs more air. Use HTML5 for youtube.

Old 01-19-16, 12:38 PM
Ray, I may have tried Chrome a couple of years ago and for some reason didn't like it as much as Firefox. But WHY should I have to use a different browser for this site alone? I remember years ago SOME sites (like my old company benefits site) would only work on Internet Explorer but Firefox is the number two browser (after IE) and I have not found a site in years where it doesn't work.

Richard, this IS an older computer, albeit a "one owner" model. Except when fighting this problem, ONLY on this particular site, it works fine. My CPU usage EXCEPT when on this site is low, usually less than 20% BUT ONLY on this site it hits 99% on a regular basis. I have almost 4 gigabytes of RAM and again, it is ONLY on this site where I have a problem. I can have fifty tabs open on ebay with no problems whatsoever. I can have those fifty tabs open AND several more windows, each with several tabs, open and no problems as long as the DIY site is not one of them. Oh, in case it is pertinent I have an 80 gig hard drive that shows as 68 gig total with 36 gig available.

And, I DO use Adbloc Plus which seems to work very well. I use AVG anti-virus which has never caused me any problems.

I am NOT computer savvy. I know enough to do what I want and that is about it. All I really want is to be able to send and receive E-mail, do Internet shopping, read and respond to this forum, read the local news sites, access (safely) my banking, credit cards and investment sites, do the crossword puzzles and other similar tasks. I am NOT a "gamer" and I don't even try to understand the mindset of those that are. I don't run a business and don't use my computer for any kind of accounting programs.

Prior to yesterday this site would eventually stop loading and as long as I kept the open tabs to less than about 25 or 30 I had few problems. NOW the individual tabs NEVER stop loading unless I manually stop them by clicking on the X in the address box. When I started today I could not even move from the first page of the "Today's Post" page UNTIL I stopped the page loading. Everything away from this site works just fine. The problem is specific to the doityourself.com website. Either the site itself or something (virus or whatever) that was sent through this site to my computer.

Old 01-19-16, 01:52 PM
The reason I mentioned buying a used computer that has a bit more cpu space is because your operating system as you know is very antiquated now. You would find too that other things other than going online would work better. I am not a gamer either and mainly now I use my used laptop I bought a while back instead of my desktop which right now is in a cold basement. It isn't as good as my desktop but it works good enough for me. I am glad you are using AdBlock Plus and I believe there are some anti-virus programs that might work better.

I haven't noticed any viruses from here or any warnings about an invalid website certificate which usually can spell problems. As for Noscript on my banks website even after disabling it for my bank ,of which I use a few, none would respond the way I wanted so I gave up on NoScript and I am glad it works well for others.

Firefox too looks like it is bailing out as it no longer works with some versions of Windows XP here is a link to the article from Mozilla https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ons-windows-xp . This doesn't surprise me as the web is changing all of the time I didn't read the article as I don't know what version you have. Eventually though your version will catch up with you too if it hasn't already.

Old 01-19-16, 02:33 PM
I am running XP Pro and have had service pack 3 since it was released. Also running the latest version of Firefox.

I still want to know what are scripts and what do they do. I still want to know why this ONLY is a problem with the DIY website. It seems to me that the news sites I visit should also have this problem as they are also full of advertising.

I do occasionally lose the ability to do on-line crossword puzzles and it is always because I do not have the latest and greatest version of Java. I do the Java upgrade and all is right with the world. I do recall the last time I did the Java upgrade it stated that XP was outdated or not supported or something of that nature but I got my puzzles to load.

As for upgrading from XP...yes, some day I will have to buy a new computer and learn a new OS but I am delaying that day as long as I can. I just don't see any need to "upgrade" when what I have works perfectly well for me.

Old 01-19-16, 03:51 PM
Okay, I found another site that is doing the same thing; gocomics.com. I read 16 comic strips daily and when I open them now they never stop loading, just like this this site. I don't know when this started. Stopping them manually does NOT cause any pertinent (or non-pertinent) information to be lost. Within the last six, maybe eight, weeks gocomics.com has been running banners that they collect cookies if that means anything.

Old 01-19-16, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
I have been having FF freeze script issues for some time...

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

It may be related to what you are experiencing..

Its usually when surfing some pages with lots of flash installed or when I am playing games..

I have tried a few things and thought it was related to add on's... Im not sure joel...

I just set my script from 10 to 0 so it runs indefinitely.. Ill let you know...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ponsive+script

Old 01-19-16, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
These are some of the scripts running here. Like little miniature programs all trying to load.
Some scripts are necessary as they are the graphics and content for the page.
gumgum
newrelic
sonobi
ibpxl
twitter
facebok
a ton of googles
sharethis
twing
gstatic
fbcdn
you tube

Old 01-20-16, 03:37 AM
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Mike, I would occasionally see that exact statement about a year ago while reading the comments section of my local television news site. Generally only happened when trying to watch an embedded video. Since then the local family ownership of the station sold out to an eastern conglomerate and one of the first things the new owner did was to eliminate the reader comments. BUT, it never caused any problems with overloading of my cpu or anything, it just wouldn't allow the video to play.

I finally did a Google search on scripts and learned what PJ mentions, that scripts are essentially programs embedded to run inside other programs. The rest was Sanskrit to me. I suppose that I have been dealing with scripts for years but they never caused me any grief until the crap on this site and now the comics site. I know that the wait period from clicking on the "Reply to Thread" button until the response window was fully loaded has definitely increased over the years and if I watch all the things loading or waiting for a response I ask myself WHY does it need connections to Google, Facebook, and all those other garbage sites (garbage in my opinion) but I guess it is all about making money for the sponsors/owners of the website. I remember a thread from last year, maybe two years ago, where there was a poster mentioning how a certain someone (name was given) was making a TON of money off of us fools giving our responses for free.

I remember in that thread I stated that the only reason I offered my advice and experiences was to pay back (pay forward?) for all the help I had received over the years and I wasn't going to change. I use the same philosophy here as when I help some stranded motorist with a dead battery; I give them a jump and then tell them to help out someone else when they are in a position to do so. I may be extremely naive but it is my opinion that if everybody gave just a little in helping others it would be a much nicer world. That is the main reason I am here although the friendships and camaraderie among us "regulars" means a lot as well.

Back on topic...or maybe not. It really galls me when certain people and/or organizations try so hard to exploit others for the gain of the certain people or groups. That is what I see here with this "scripts" thing. That the "powers that be" don't care that it bogs down the computers of people like me. That maybe I should stop opening up numerous tabs and answer a single thread at a time. Going through the index of new threads and picking the ones that interest me BEFORE actually reading them is what works best for me. If I were to simply open one, read it and offer my response (if any) I would spend ten times as much time on this silly computer and I waste too much of my life here already.

Or maybe that IS the purpose, to keep me glued to the monitor where I am (supposedly) bombarded by the incessant advertising in the hopes that I will spend MONEY and that the sponsors/owners will reap some percentage of that money. Well, it doesn't work because the AdBlock Plus keeps me from seeing the most obnoxious ads and I can easily ignore the rest.

I use Google a lot (not alot) but I have also learned to ignore most of the "shopping bots" because they more often than not have nothing to do with my searches. I have learned which sites offer useful information and what sites are just a waste of my time. That is part of the reason why I haven't even visited, let alone posted on any other DIY-type forum in years. Several years ago I told a friend (he's about 30 years my senior) that the Internet is either the greatest research tool ever invented or it is the greatest time waster ever invented and the difference was all in how it was used by the individual. I consider my time on this forum to be informative for the most part but the more that the site deviates from the "people helping people" philosophy and moves towards the "how can we few make a buck off of the fools" the less inclined I am to spend any amount of time here.

I have, determined a way to circumvent the constantly loading tabs, however. It is clunky and adds another step plus taking time. Simply open in a new tab, then open the tab and click the X in the address bar (stop loading page) and then go back to the index tab. Maybe PJ's suggestion of running "noscripts" (got a link?) would work better but if that also screws up other sites I visit I don't know if it would really be a fix.

Rant over, at least for now.

Old 01-20-16, 04:00 AM
I was going to offer a link to a Wikipedia article but I see your probably already read that. I agree with you about the article Joel some was easy to understand and some wasn't. I know where to go if I want to fall asleep fast as during the time I read the article I fell asleep. Aside from what I already have mentioned there is nothing much else to say, enough said. While I am against NoScript I will tell you how to find it. Look for the square on the right with the hashes on Firefox click on it. Now click on Add-ons and use the search box.

There will be many different script blockers but NoScript is at the top. I doubt seriously that you will like it but you just might you never know. If however it is blocked out then NoScript is not available for your computer. You will know immediately if it is as it will appear very lightly on the page and not be easy to see.

Old 01-20-16, 04:22 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I remember a thread from last year, maybe two years ago, where there was a poster mentioning how a certain someone (name was given) was making a TON of money off of us fools giving our responses for free.
The regulars here know that was me but you don't have it quite right. I give responses, for free too. My point at that time was that the moderators weren't getting paid while working for millionaires. I still stand by what I said. You didn't care about those particular scripts then but you don't like them now.

Back to scripts. First a good description of scripts.

What is script? - Definition from WhatIs.com

Scripts are not just to make money or to cause trouble. They can enhance a web site but at the same time they can make a web site vulnerable, to attacks. If you want to see the actual scripts running, on any web page while using Firefox, right click in a blank area & left click on view page source.

I was having the same problem as you with Firefox even while running NoScript. Firefox is 'bloatware'.

You said:

Pulpo, it is not a Firefox problem.
I said:
Okay, let me know what the fix is when you find it.

Old 01-21-16, 06:39 PM
Pulpo, I am truly sorry if I have offended you, that has never been my intention. I simply don't know that much about how computers and websites and the like operate. Further, I have no real desire to know. All I want is to be able to USE the Internet without having to know how every little bit comes about.

You didn't care about those particular scripts then but you don't like them now.
Okay, I misquoted you (I didn't remember it was you that made the remarks about working for millionaires) but now you have misquoted me. I didn't, (and still don't) care that some people are making gobs of money off of this, or any other website. I didn't even know what scripts are/were until yesterday when I read a couple of paragraphs on the subject. I admit I didn't read much more than just enough to learn what they are and do as I found the article extremely boring. Truth is, I find just about everything to do with the "inside working" of computers and the Internet extremely boring. What I DO care about is/are things that keep me from enjoying the end result, the reading or viewing of different things on the Internet.

I was having the same problem as you with Firefox even while running NoScript. Firefox is 'bloatware'.
Firefox may very well be bloatware, I don't know. What I DO know is that Firefox is far superior to Internet Explorer, at least as I use it. Maybe Firefox was better in its initial incarnations and it has become bloated as subsequent issues have been released. It HAS, however, worked well for me. Back in the Windows 3.11 era I used Net-something. I did try some other browser a few years ago, maybe Opera, but I'm not sure. I originally went to Firefox because it was less vulnerable to hacking. At that time the Firefox worked better for me than the Net whatever (Netscape?) or Opera so I uninstalled the other browsers. I have a tendency to find what works for me and then stick to it. I do not have a problem with change for the better, but simply changing because something is newer holds no interest with me. I am not a Luddite, when I was gainfully employed I made many changes and often incurred the wrath of my fellow employees because of it. I will say that in almost every case once the others saw how my new way of doing things was an improvement they readily jumped on the bandwagon.

And, the problem has been fixed. I don't know if it was from what I did today or something done on this forum but this afternoon when I started my computer I had to upgrade the Adobe Flash player and then update Java. Once that was done and I came to this forum I found that tabs were loading in a matter of seconds and then would stop. I had 31 tabs open when I checked and that was after closing at least 10 so I must have had something in excess of 40 tabs open with no perceptible slowing. For me that is success, no matter how it came about. I will admit that I haven't yet checked the gocomics site to see if it applies there as well. Well, I just checked and it does eventually stop loading although it does load for a long time. I suspect the slow loading there is a result of loading all 16 tabs at the same time on a rather limited Internet connection.

Old 01-21-16, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Try refreshing FF too joel.. If its add on or extension related the refresh disables them.. You re- enable as you go afterwards,

I did a refresh an hour ago and all is fast again..

read here from FF...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings

Off topic...

Sorry for my creative writing ( From another post) Im just very tired from work these days. Working outside in 12f weather is no fun.. Hands are red, raw and hurt and hard for me to type as my fingers get numb from carpal tunnel and nerve issues in my neck... LOL..

Remember I have been wrenching 30 plus years.. Oh and my knees are shot too...

Should I talk about my shoulder pain... Ha ha.. and I just turned 50 a few weeks ago...

Damn arthritis!!!!

Old 01-21-16, 07:32 PM
Thanks, Mike, I'll be sending you a PM soon.

Old 01-22-16, 04:47 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Pulpo, I am truly sorry if I have offended you, that has never been my intention.
You didn't offend me, at all.

What I DO know is that Firefox is far superior to Internet Explorer, at least as I use it.
I agree. Not only that. Internet Explorer 8 is the only version that will run on XP & that's dangerous.

And, the problem has been fixed. I don't know if it was from what I did today or something done on this forum but this afternoon when I started my computer I had to upgrade the Adobe Flash player and then update Java.
That's good news. Maybe one of the updates helped. At the risk of boring you more than you already are, Java & javascript are two different things. I'll leave it at that.

Search this Thread