nefarious emails

Old 01-21-16, 03:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
nefarious emails

My wife has been getting a bunch of emails [at my addy] claiming she has been turned down on her [fictitious] loan application and to click to find out why but I had to laugh at the one I received this morning. All it said was to 'click here to stop receiving spam' no company logo or anything

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-16, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Be aware, too, of those purportedly coming from companies you use. I get them often with titles like Pay Pal and Wells Fargo, asking me to click on a link to verify my user name or password due to an irregularity. I just forward them to the particular company involved and let them sort it out, then delete with extreme prejudice.

Old 01-21-16, 09:32 AM
I can help with those "sucker" emails if you'll just Paypal $10 to my email.

Thanks.

Old 01-21-16, 01:33 PM
I received one of those e-mails today myself claiming to be from Amazon.com and would I please rate my seasonal purchases and they would give me a $50.00 gift certificate. Well all sounded fine and I was a bit excited about it and then I got to thinking this is my AOL account not my Verizon account so I thought darn it it is spam. So I clicked on Spam and away it went, usually I don't get much spam on my AOL account which is free but i get a great deal on my Verizon account. Seems a bit unfair too at the price that Verizon charges for internet and phone.

I heard somewhere too that AOL was bought out by Verizon but I don't know how true that is. Anybody else hear the same thing?

Old 01-21-16, 03:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The real reason Verizon acquired AOL - Fortune

Yes, Verizon bought AOL. That's ^ one of many articles on it. AOL/Time Warner have a building on 23rd st. in NYC. When I worked in building maintenance, my boss called me one Friday evening & said that there was a flood there. When we arrived, I asked the handyman, where the leak was. He said the 7th floor. I said did you shut the valve? He said yes. I asked How long did the water run before you shut the valve? He said 45 minutes. Some plumber broke a 4" cold water feed pipe & ran out of the building. Does anyone want to calculate how many gallons can come out of a 4" pipe in 45 minutes? I'd be interested to know the answer.

Old 01-21-16, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
"Does anyone want to calculate how many gallons can come out of a 4" pipe in 45 minutes?"

Sorry, we'd need the PSI to calculate that

Old 01-21-16, 04:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Sorry, we'd need the PSI to calculate that
Typical street pressure would be about 60 PSI. However, street pressure will only reach the 6th floor. In taller buildings, roof top tanks are used. In that case the height of the tank determines the pressure. I don't remember exactly how tall the building was but let's say 10 floors, so the pressure might be about 50 PSI. If you feel like satisfying my curiosuity, I would appreciate it.

Old 01-21-16, 05:51 PM
Thanks Pulpo I thought that they had merged but I wasn't certain and until now I didn't understand why. Apparently they want to have online content at a price, well I know they bought Red Box and Red Box offers content online that others have produced. Now I believe they want to copy Netflix which has its own content(not that all of it is great but some things not that bad) who knows they might do okay. I also know that AOL has had some free content online about various subjects that I have never bothered looking at.