Shipping rave

Old 01-21-16, 08:29 PM
Shipping rave

Usually I rant about shipping but today I have to rave. I bought a new welding machine and it was shipping from Wisconsin via FedEx. I ordered it late Saturday night and received notification Monday morning that it had shipped with an arrival date of Friday. That sounded pretty optimistic to me based upon it weighing 116 pounds and going by truck. I'll add that it was free shipping.

Late Wednesday night tracking showed in Oregon so I thought maybe it will get here on Friday. Nope, a couple of minutes after 1 PM today (Thursday) and there is a knock on the door. Of course I'm naked having just gotten out of the shower so I ask through the door who is it and receive no answer. I look out and there it is right on my porch. Can't ask anymore than that.

It was well-packed too. Now I have a huge cardboard box and a mile of packing paper blocking my way to the front door. Probably take me an hour to pick it all up, cut it up and then schlep it out to the recycle bin.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-16, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Now I have a huge cardboard box and a mile of packing paper blocking my way to the front door.
Leave it there..... the cat will get it and love you for it.

Old 01-22-16, 05:22 AM
Always an adventure when somethings shipped FedEx.
Ordered a water softner and it came laying on it's side even though there was arrows and Ship this side up signs on the 4 corners at the top of the box in capital letters.
The whole top of the box was crushed.
And some how the whole box was soaking wet.
I refused to sign for it and sent it back.
Almost every time they deliver something here they leave it on the "front" stoop.
On that side of the house there is no walkway, no driveway, it's all on the back side of the house.
They leave boxes in the poring rain with no plastic bag over them on that stoop that we just never use all the time.
UPS always comes to the back door, always uses a bag, always knocks at the door, deliver's on time.

Old 01-22-16, 06:47 AM
With the welder I got detailed tracking through the seller. A couple of weeks ago I bought a nitrogen cylinder (ebay) and it was delivered via FedEx. Not only was the tracking screwball it was left at the front of my garage clearly visible from the street. I had something else delivered FedEx that week as well and neither time did the driver even bother to knock or ring the doorbell.

Old 01-22-16, 06:30 PM
Gentleman, you have no idea how consumer products are shipped or handled. If you did most likely you would not buy the merchandise. Much of the product we receive for our store is over stacked on skids, with the heavy stuff on top. Most of the sides are banged and crushed. And typical handling by carriers is minimal care. But here is the best part. Most store merchandise that can be picked up in one hand is mixed with all kinds of other stuff and when being sorted out it is all thrown into containers to be put on the shelf. The amazing thing is that when you pick it up and purchase it, you don't know the difference. And in most cases no harm is done.

What always made me think is that light bulbs are packed in bulk with minimal protection other than the box they come in. They get bounced around and dropped multiple time. Very few breakage. But if I so much as brush by an isle and clip a light bulb, if falls and breaks every time! Go figure.

Old 01-22-16, 07:21 PM
Norm, I know exactly how not only consumer items but pretty much ALL items are shipped. That more items are NOT damaged in shipping is a testament to how well they are packaged.

About twenty years ago I bought a new television from Sam's Club. On the way out the door the old man that marked the receipt pointed out that the corner of the box was broken. He then stated that more likely as not there was no damage to the television set. We got to talking and then he told me that he was retired from being a packaging engineer, it was his job to design the packaging, including any internal bracing, to withstand the gorillas that toss the packages around while in transit and also when stacking in the warehouses. He was pretty interesting.

I often wonder about some items being transported in nothing more than cardboard boxes but I've also seen that a properly packed cardboard box offers much more protection to the contents than does an improperly packed wooden crate. The outer cardboard may suffer damage but the contents almost always survive unscathed.

Old 01-23-16, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have received excellent service from FedEx, UPS and occasionally USPS (but it is small town USA, so service is different). BUT the one method of shipment I detest is DHL. Tracking is provided, but they invariably will delay my shipment by handing it off to another carrier, who will hand it off to the USPS and I get it a week later.

Old 01-23-16, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
DHL pulled out of our area less than a year after setting up shop. I only had one package delivered by them. I didn't see it but the neighbor across from the start of my road told me about it [and accepted the package] The girl driving the DHL van got scared driving up my driveway so she decided to back down but obviously wasn't good with mirrors and backed into the ditch and had to have a wrecker get the van out.

UPS isn't much better. They usually leave the package under my mailbox although they do have one driver that doesn't think twice about delivering to my door [but he rarely delivers to this area ] Fedex has always delivered to my door

Old 01-23-16, 05:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I solved the "leaving the box elsewhere" mentality. I have a weatherproof "deck" box for them to make deliveries to when we aren't here. Keeps stuff out of the weather and avoids return trips. Of course with 45 MPH winds gusting to more yesterday, I found it up in the woods