North East home snow safety tips

Old 01-23-16, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
North East home snow safety tips

The North East is really getting hammered by snow, the lucky devils! . On my drive home I was thinking of any home safety tips to pass along that might help the North Easters get through this large amount of snow. Please post any others that you can think of!

1) If your furnace vents out the sidewall like many do, make sure the vents are clear or the furnace will shut down. Make sure the dryer vent is also clear and the gas water heater vent.

2) Be careful with clearing the snow. Take breaks and drink plenty of water. Shoveling snow can be hard work!

3) If your home tends to get ice dams, plan on removing the snow from your roof(s) or risk water leaking through the roof.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-16, 09:40 AM
I'm reading this post and looking out the window. I can't see the road 100 yds away. It's snowing big flakes sideways with wind gusts to 30 MPH expected to hit 60-70 mph by this evening. We've only got a couple of inches with predictions of a foot or so. Not a real big deal. It's New England in January. It's the mid Atlantic folks that don't normally get this sort of weather that will have a problem.

This AM I have filled my gas cans, hit the grocery store for a couple of things, bought some wine (you can't survive a blizzard without it), cleared all the deck furniture, lowered the flag pole and furled the flag, started and test ran the generator, started and test ran the snow blower, and broke out the electric shovel. Now I'm having a big slice of warm banana bread fresh from the oven.

Piece of cake.

Old 01-23-16, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you got 'er covered CW. Good luck!

Old 01-23-16, 10:15 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Take breaks and drink plenty of water.
Oh yea, we will be drinking, during the breaks.

Old 01-23-16, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Already over a foot of snow here in northern NJ and 30 mph winds.

Old 01-23-16, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
You forgot the age old advice: don't eat yellow snow.

Old 01-23-16, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We've been fairly lucky. We got 5" the other day and then the sleet knocked that down some. Couple of inches so far today. The crazy thing is, the kids 6 miles to the north got less while my son that is 12 miles to the southwest got 8" While we were getting sleet yesterday a nearby town got 4" Apparently this region has gotten anywhere from 2"-15" Not near as bad as some folks although I don't look forward to crawling off of the hill to check the mail.

Old 01-23-16, 11:15 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You forgot the age old advice: don't eat yellow snow.
Did you hear that in Frank Zappa's song by the same name or somewhere else? I can't count the Zappa concerts that I've attended.

Old 01-23-16, 12:35 PM
Here in Vermont, we're enjoying a Sunny Weekend . . . . all of the snow seems to be to our south; and all we got was a little dusting back on Wednesday.

But regarding the topic of this thread, and as a Real Estate Broker, I'm often involved in reminding my Clients to remove the snow from their roofs . . . . they often (usually) ignore me; but I will have done my due diligence. And my motivation is somewhat selfish too . . . . a house whose roof has collapsed doesn't command the price that an intact one does, and that reduces my Commission (or eliminates it) !

Snow doesn't weigh as much as water (62.4 Pounds per Cubic Foot) but it grows in weight as the snow melts or collapses into slush and ice. Sitting on a roof, and ignored, it can easily reach 20 pounds per square foot over a season . . . . and it gets more costly to remove the longer it's ignored. And Insurance Companies often deny coverage if the Owners failed to take necessary precautions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61997[/ATTACH]

I once reminded some Florida Owners that the snow on their Summer Double Wide (with the shallow pitch roof) was accumulating and exceeding 24" in some places. They ignored me for a week, when I reminded them of the danger . . . . and that the weight up there on the roof was exceeding Fifty (50) Tons ! That got their attention; and they hired a crew to begin
removing it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62003[/ATTACH]

Another aspect of the same concern is the dynamic distribution (and re-distribution of the snow by the wind. Sometimes the wind moves the snow around and piles it all up at one end of the dwelling, where the uneven weight causes problems.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62002[/ATTACH]

And sometimes, the snow is evenly distributed by nature, providing even and equal downward pressure on the studs and load bearing walls . . . . but the people hired to remove the snow may begin removing it from one end and change that equality, or decide to take a little break while a gust of wind comes along and upsets the whole apple cart. I've seen Mobile Homes and Barns and Garages and Porches collapse like "Houses of Cards" into flat parallelograms lying there in the snow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61998[/ATTACH]

Need I mention that this can be dangerous for the unsuspecting occupants as well as the guys up on the roof ?

This sounds like it might only be a problem for Mobile Homes; but any roof that's relatively flat is vulnerable. Our stick-built houses here often have roofs pitched at 45 and steeper; but you still have to pay attention to the shallow portions and to the valleys.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61999[/ATTACH]

Good luck and be Safe to all of you down there in the Snow Belt !

Attached Images      

Last edited by Vermont; 01-23-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Fixing images
Old 01-23-16, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
One other thing I thought of along the same lines of clearing the vents. If you have older appliances and the vent gets blocked it could start pumping carbon monoxide into your home which can be deadly! It still amazes me how every year you hear of people dying because using cooking appliances (BBQ grills, gas cook tops, gas ovens) for heat and using heaters designed for outdoors inside. You also can't use a generator indoors.

Old 01-23-16, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
" I can't count the Zappa concerts that I've attended." Yeah, If you've been to a lot of them, there's probably a reason you can't remember...lol.

BTW...the line was..."Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow".

Old 01-23-16, 11:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I suppose that's true. It's also said that if you remember the 60s, you really weren't there.

Old 01-24-16, 12:04 AM
I haven't seen any snow in my area for at least two years. Today's high temperature was 45 degrees, low 40 and right now at midnight it is 43 degrees. Friday the high was 54. No measurable rain forecast until next Tuesday. All this at the Weather Underground station about a mile from me.