ready for spring!

Old 01-25-16, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ready for spring!

I know we didn't get hammered with as much snow as those further north but I'm ready for it to be gone. It blows my mind that it got up to 50 today and the ground is still covered with 3"-4" of snow. My wife's car is down in the holler - a snow covered block of ice and don't forget - most of my driveway is on the north side of the hill

Looks like the county has disowned us too. They plowed our dead end road after the 5" snow fall, halfway thru the 2" snow and then quit even though we got another 3" and it hasn't snowed since saturday. Almost got run over by my jeep at the store this morning, they plowed the lanes but not the parking spots. Got out, locked the door and about the time I got to the rear of the jeep it slid backwards 2'

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-16, 01:36 PM
Isn't there a country song about getting run over by your own jeep? (or maybe it was getting run over by your own wife ) If not, there should be.

Here in NE OH we've only had a few inches total.... I'm still wearing shorts! Such a change from last year. But not being a winter sports guy...I'm always ready for spring, so I second the sentiment.

Old 01-25-16, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
I was ready for spring before the snow!
We got over 22"! And I thought we were gonna get away with no snow this year. Was I wrong!
Nothing worse than city snow. The streets are narrow, if not impassible, less parking, hard to walk.

Old 01-25-16, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
72 here as I write this but there is a cold front on the way, daily high temperatures plummeting into the 60s and mid 50s.

Old 01-25-16, 01:55 PM
Typical sentiments about this time of year. At least we're on the upswing. The only thing I dislike about spring in Western New York is that it comes late and it's crappy, usually damp. The snow gets dirty and looks bad. I'd rather have several light snows that cover the dirt then melt away.

Old 01-25-16, 03:57 PM
Our first snow of the season. We were lucky as the storm just brushed us. We got 6" of light fluffy stuff. I used it as an opportunity to try out my new snow blower. It was a learning experience ( I finally figured out the handles were heated )and a hell of a lot cheaper than paying some guy $150 to plow my drive (like I did 4 times last winter).

I hope I never have to use it again this year.

Old 01-25-16, 05:22 PM
This was our second snow of the season, the first snow on last Wednesday was just about an inch. The blizzard though was something else it was 18 inches at my house and at BWI airport it was over 29 inches. Luckily we had some help both at our house and the old rental we are going to sell. Some we had to pay for today and the other might be free from our contractor who lives nearby so we are very fortunate. I yesterday managed to clean off my porch and walk and that is about it so I am definitely looking forward to spring it can't come any sooner!

Old 01-25-16, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Went to Canada fishing a couple of weekends ago. Had to snowmobile to the resort 18 miles. Was -22F the morning we left. Had to put on a jacket.

Winter is my 2nd favorite season after fall. No bugs, no sunburn, and no crowds outdoors. I wish we got some of the snow. I would still be playing in it!

Old 01-25-16, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
You're welcome to come down and take ours!

Old 01-25-16, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe you can mail me some.

Old 01-26-16, 08:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hello Mark...

LMAO!!! Thanks for the humor...

Got out, locked the door and about the time I got to the rear of the jeep it slid backwards 2'

You 4got to drop the "ANCHOR!"...
Needs to be tethered to a hitching post maybe???...LOL!...

Old 01-26-16, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There was a nearby light pole but I didn't think to use it as a hitchin' post .... but usually my jeep minds fairly well and doesn't take off without me

It was above freezing all night and currently 38 but while you can tell the snow is melting there are very few bare spots The weather forecast calls for rain but none so far. If it waits until this evening it might not be rain

Old 01-26-16, 09:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Mark

An alternative meaning to "SNOW" drift maybe???...

You park the vehicle here.
When you return it's over there!......HA HA HA.....
That's Terrible! Real incline BUMMER!!!...

......Hate when that happens....

Old 01-26-16, 11:10 AM
Got out, locked the door and about the time I got to the rear of the jeep it slid backwards 2'
I heard you had some ice down there. Sister and her hubby were making their annual drive from Duluth to Disney World and said it was "pretty hairy" around Nashville early saturday afternoon. Trees were covered in ice for about 30 miles and the roads not much better. Mark, you should take a video going up your driveway, love to see it.

Went to Canada fishing a couple of weekends ago
Brother came back from somewhere up there yesterday, guy in the next cabin got a nice 39.8 pound Lake Trout.

Boring winter here, maybe 6-8" on the ground but not too cold, yet.

Old 01-26-16, 12:32 PM
Here in Michigan, this is usually the time of year when we look forward to "freezing", i.e. 32, because that means it might warm up from the teens for a bit. This year it is so mild though that they said the Mackinac Bridge was going to be closed for a few hours again, second time in the past couple of days. That's not unusual this time of year, as the straits really get hammered in the winter, but these past two times are due to ice melting and falling off the towers. First time I remember hearing that in January.

Old 01-26-16, 01:10 PM
The falling ice is really a big hazard if you are on the bridge before is is closed. It sure beats taking the ferry across before it was built.

It is always a challenge when the wind kicks in the driving season. - That is when they go to single lanes each way with a lead vehicle to keep the speeds down and everyone in line.

When I lived in the "upper lower" of MI it was referred to as "The Bridge" and had to cross it frequently(every month or so) going between MN & MI.

Dick

Old 01-26-16, 01:39 PM
I have crossed on the ferry, but, being a youngster, the only way I know is because my parents told me. Was too young to remember it. I have had some interesting trips over the bridge though. Not sure that there is ever a literally calm day out over that water.

Old 01-26-16, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hopefully I did this right, here are a few pics of my driveway from a few years ago.

http://s791.photobucket.com/user/mar...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s791.photobucket.com/user/mar...4.jpg.html?o=0

http://s791.photobucket.com/user/mar...tml?sort=3&o=2

the pics didn't post but you can click on the links

Old 01-26-16, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah, with a little snow or ice that could be an adventure.

Thanks

Old 01-26-16, 06:52 PM
mrksr -

That is one of those that you felt great when you got to the top and dreaded the trip down.

I would shift/lock my Jimmy into 4 wheel low and take my time and remember what I saw on the way up and hope I went down in daylight. - I would also pray for a couple (1-2) of inches of snow (and no more) to keep me alert. - Low and slow.

Dick

Old 01-26-16, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Now that's a driveway. WOW.

Old 01-27-16, 02:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually my driveway used to be worse, it used to be shorter, steeper and narrower
My jeep does better than anything I've ever drove up and down it [traction control helps] I bought it 6 yrs ago and it's only gotten stuck once [ice] Back in the blizzard of '93 we got 3' of snow and my driveway was narrow. I had a 69 Bronco with a 3" lift and posi track. Took me 45 minutes to drive down the driveway pushing snow with the hood. One of the reasons it took so long was I had to get out every so often to double check where the edge of the road was. It was a whole week before I could drive back up it

Old 01-27-16, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The overnight rain sure didn't help my road any! Had to take my wife down to her car so she could go to work. While it slipped a little going down in 4 wheel low it wasn't a big deal until the last 100' where we shot off like a rocket Between the snow plowed into the start of my driveway and the almost clear hardtop it wasn't a big deal to regain control. I should have gotten a running start going back up! By the end of that 100' stretch I was sideways with the right rear tire in the ditch. For a little bit I wasn't sure I'd be able to get out. Hopefully by the time the mail runs it will be better although it's only supposed to get up to 40 but it will be daylight

when is spring

Old 02-01-16, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's been above freezing since midday last Thursday and I still have snow/ice on my driveway

My wife thinks we need a new jeep because mine is defective - it slides on slush covered ice and according to her a properly operating jeep wouldn't do that It's been raining since mid morning so hopefully that will melt the rest

Old 02-01-16, 11:22 AM
Mark, your driveway reminds me of the drive to our camp in VT years ago. It even looks the same. If it was anything but bone dry it was either 4wd or walk in. Even with 4wd it could get pretty hairy if there was snow.

Outside temp today is 61*. Yesterday it was 55*. Normal high for this time of year is mid 30s. I was just outside and I noticed we have daffodils and daylilies poking up through the mulch.

Old 02-01-16, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While intimidating to some, my driveway isn't all that bad. My wife's front wheel drive car will go up anytime as long as there isn't a hard frost or worse. I'm a little surprised that the snow/ice is taking this long to get gone. We've also been in the upper 50's for the last three days. Surely today's rain will get rid of the rest.

I'm getting to old to walk in when I was younger I considered building a place at the bottom if I got too old for my road but now I figure if the road gets too bad for me - I'll just stay home

Old 02-01-16, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is what I came home from Denver to. Lady who kept dogs had to hike 1/4 mile to house from this point. 6 loads of crusher run scratched the surface. I think I will lay in some #3's before the next rains. Driveways are expensive !!

Name:  driveway1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  50.5 KB

Old 02-01-16, 01:16 PM
Had to take my wife down to her car so she could go to work.

Old 02-01-16, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry, but I can't resist any longer!:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 02-02-16, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yippie! My driveway is clear ... well mostly. It took raining all day and half the night to do it. At any rate my wife's car will be able to come up it when she gets off of work tomorrow morning.

They are calling for snow again next week I don't mind the snow when it comes for a day and is gone in two but it doesn't take long for lingering snow to get old. Glad I don't live further north

Old 02-02-16, 05:37 AM
I'm getting to [too] old to walk in[;] when I was younger I considered building a place at the bottom if I got too old for my road but now I figure if the road gets too bad for me - I'll just stay home.
That has been my philosophy for at least the last 15 years.

My wife thinks we need a new jeep because mine is defective - it slides on slush covered ice and according to her a properly operating jeep wouldn't do that
Might mention to her that a new wife could be less expensive than a new jeep.

Glad I don't live further north
I live quite a bit north of you and don't have any of the same problems. In my younger days I was once driving up the Atlantic coast and met a man in a "tobacco road" tavern where I was the only white person. This man (he was a Mexican National) asked where I lived and when I told him he replied, "Seattle Washington? Is very cold there, no?" I don't think he believed me when I told him the temperature only rarely dropped to freezing.