Exploding washing machines

Old 01-27-16, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Exploding washing machines

Want a really scary set of reports Google "Exploding Washing Machines".

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1EepvMgJjq4XCw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Gq5HTYbwgzRTLQ

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=e...pe=&as_rights= The manufacturers seem clueless and stores unhelpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-16, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen out of balance machines, but this is crazy.
It seems strange the manufacturer would not know immediately what could cause this. Anyone have any ideas? I'm clueless.

Old 01-27-16, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have never seen this in all years I repaired them but I would guess the bearing froze up while in spin. In the last set of pictures the Fridgedare Washer looks like 3 to 7 years old and bearing are known to go bad in that washer around 7 year mark. At least that's what I have seen.
Washer spinning at 1200 rpm and bearing lock up would cause that.

Old 01-27-16, 12:55 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. I have a 15 year old Gibson front loader and when it hits the final spin that thing is cursin'.

Consider the weight of the drum plus the wet clothes inside doing 1200 rpm and something freezes or lets loose or whatever, that is a lot of energy (proper word ?) going around.

I just washed a small blanket and once the motor shuts down it still takes the drum 28.4 seconds to stop. I'd imagine with a larger load it would be longer.

Old 01-27-16, 08:49 PM
In my opinion I believe that some of this has to do with improper loading of the washing machine. These newer machines without the agitator have to be loaded differently than the ones with the agitator. One thing they are great at is not ripping clothes like the older agitator style did quite frequently with our clothes. Especially the later models they are really bad at ripping clothes. These newer washing machines will make a great deal of noise when they are not loaded properly or they have too much laundry in them.

I know with our high efficiency front loading washing machine I have heard loud noises coming from our washer. The loud noise mainly from loading too much or too many big items so I try as much as possible to avoid loading too much or putting in too many big items. The manufacturers though too are not as good at manufacturing appliances as they used too and many aren't even made in the United States anymore either.

Old 01-29-16, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Old 01-30-16, 02:25 AM
This is why I have a speed queen conventional top load with agitator. Built in USA 100% and is built like the commercial machines they make minus the coin operator.

Old 01-30-16, 02:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know of how many bearings I have replaced on these hi speed spinning washers. Seems like a common failure with them. You would think they would put better bearing and seals in them. Most bearing failures start with a slow leak of water that goes straight to the bearing.

Old 01-30-16, 04:11 AM
Flirty1 said
This is why I have a speed queen conventional top load with agitator. Built in USA 100% and is built like the commercial machines they make minus the coin operator.
Amen to this! We also have a large capacity top loader. We looked closely at the new non-agitator and the front loaders. I'll continue to put money into our existing top loader.

Old 01-30-16, 05:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Catastrophic wheel bearing breaks? I would assume that these washers sounded a bit off or quite a while before they blew. I know my traditional dryer suddenly sounded different when the bearings started to go. I described the sound here and you guys immediately said that is what it was.

Old 01-30-16, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes washer will roar for quite awhile before the bearing seize. You would be surprised at how long people will put up with noise. Many times I have gone into a house where tub is almost falling out and customer did not know there was a problem.

Search this Thread