Fake Job Scam Alert

Old 01-29-16, 10:20 PM
Post Fake Job Scam Alert

You may have seen this I saw this alert on Facebook about a false job offer supposedly from Walmart only it isn't. Here is a link to the article Keep an Eye on Your Mail – If You Receive a Check from Walmart, Here’s What It Means.

I personally think that someone would have to be fairly desperate to fall for this and not thinking right either. I think though that it is still worthy of passing on though to those you know so that they are not scammed.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-16, 05:05 AM
Amazing what some people will fall for, even very smart, worldly, people.
Get lots of Spam on Craig's list, and Ebay trying to rip people off.

Old 01-30-16, 06:42 AM
Temporarily Suspended
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ge...ther-rant.html

That scam supports my posts in the above thread which is what I said about staying out of as many databases as possible. The scammers took their targets from a database. Once again, we can't depend on anyone else to protect us except ourselves.

Recently, I exchanged something at a supermarket. I was due a 55 cent return. To get it, I had to put my info in their database. I told the manager that he can keep the money.

Old 01-30-16, 08:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't forget all the "polls" that are out there, now, during the election season. Every poll wants you to vote, but they also want your email address. Wifey is very politically minded and stumps for her candidate, and is even our county chairperson. Currently she has 11,345 unread emails on her computer She "likes" everything and votes in all the polls. She is inundated with the stuff. On an Ipad, you can't delete emails enmasse. One at a time. She gets emails faster than she can eliminate them. Life lessons, I guess.

Old 01-30-16, 08:13 PM
The scammers took their targets from a database. Once again, we can't depend on anyone else to protect us except ourselves.
I agree with you Pulpo we really need to be careful with what we share. Trouble is even when we mainly stay offline we are still part of a database. I have a friend who stays offline most of the time and only does the occasional e-mail and a few searches of things a few times a year. Still though he gets inundated with junk mail in his mail box. Just like everyone else he has a credit card and we all hope when we opt out of mailings that they will not sell our personal information but of course that doesn't happen.

Banks are not the only guilty party though other places like grocery stores that you mentioned and many other retailers are guilty. I also agree with you Larry some online surveys don't care about your privacy and you have to be very careful who you deal with.

I do surveys but I do surveys with companies that belong to CASRO it is a self policing organization that doesn't allow for personally identifying information to be released by survey companies. Not an absolute guarantee that your information will not go public but most companies honor the CASRO code of ethics.

Old 01-31-16, 04:40 AM
I personally think that someone would have to be fairly desperate to fall for this and not thinking right either.
You key word here is desperate!

I can understand how people can be scammed. Even people who should have better sense.
If you're healthy, have a job, generally in a secure position and have no major problems, you won't fall for this or any similar scams.

But as soon as any of the above problems arise AND no solution appears in the near future then you become a prime target for that "one chance" that will make things better. I know, I've been there. But fortunately I've had enough sense to realize long shots seldom work and luck does not not just happen.

Old 01-31-16, 06:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I think it was a retired cop who explained it to me when he said 'They play on your greed when you say to yourself, I can have something for nothing'. Since then, I've been able to catch myself when that thought runs through my head.

Even people who aren't desperate or greedy might say that to themselves. Truly desperate people wouldn't have a bank account, to cash the check. They might try to cash it at a check cashing place.

Edit: Now that I think of it, people like that probably wouldn't receive the check in the first place.