Good Day out Doing Estate Sales

Old 01-30-16, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good Day out Doing Estate Sales

I'm usually weary of estate sales as they are usually run by an auction house that marks everything up in the hopes of making the most commission possible. Then, on the last day, Sunday, they miraculously offer everything at 75% off - hoping to move some stuff. I've seen plain framed prints listed for hundreds of dollars, just ridiculous.

The wife and I went out today and hit a couple to of estate sales. One was run by the family instead of an auction house. We got a never used, in original packaging, king comforter with skirt and pillow covers for $15 (I didn't even haggle) and two 5 shelf wire metro racks for $10 each - also in original boxes never used. I felt guilty as they are $70 a piece new.

They were nice folks though, so I felt I was helping them out.

It's odd, that I am usually known to do the opposite. I needed replacement handles for two leaf rakes and one shovel. I found all three at a garage sale - the guy said give me 50 cents for all, I said, no and gave him a couple of bucks - told him it was a tip. Made me feel better.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-16, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
In the warmer months garage sales are quite common. Not always worth looking but you find a diamond once in a while. These are always family run.

Old 01-30-16, 03:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If I had room to store things, I would still attend garage & estate sales. If I stop at all, I ask for tools & electronics. That's about it.

Old 01-30-16, 04:25 PM
I practically grew up on flea markets, estate sales and garage and yard sales. In my youth my mom and I would go to yard sales and then when a big flea market would come up we would sell there usually at church lots as they were cheaper and didn't ask for any vendors license. The rule was if you were on church property you never needed a license. We did fairly well for ourselves too my mom would sell costume jewelry and I had my drinking glasses that were cheaper than buying them at a store and all bought from yard sales.

The flea market days are behind me now I just couldn't stand at a booth all day and the market is kind of dead now for some flea markets unless you have something very rare and hard to find. Rare and hard to find also means a great deal out of pocket and then it might not sell. I still go all of the above(yard sales etc.) for the fun of it and if I can find something to sell online. Online is part of the problem too with flea markets as people now would rather sit and buy than walk and buy. It is good though when you can help another person out when you buy something from them.

Old 01-30-16, 04:33 PM
Every 3 or 4 years we have a yard sale. It's a great opportunity to get rid of all the unwanted "stuff" that's been cluttering up the house, garage and shop. We typically make $500-$600.

"One man's junk . . . . "

Old 01-30-16, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We have the same yard sale every couple of years. Like we give away all the stuff we got at garage sales in the past. Always a great and tiring day. We meet so many neat people that it is as much fun as it is hassle.

Old 01-30-16, 05:51 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That's pretty good for a garage sale. Most people don't make that much.

Old 01-31-16, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I rarely go to flea markets. Around here 90% of what they sell is brand new junk I prefer to find old quality stuff [tools mostly] Last time I went to a flea market, under a table there was a wooden box full of mismatched old tools. I found a rusty 18" 1/2 drive craftsman extension. I ferget what they called it [something not even close] but I was more than willing to pay the $2 they asked for it.

Old 01-31-16, 06:17 AM
Temporarily Suspended
A friend of mine sells the exact type of tools that you described but I think that they are over priced. I don't see how he can ask $8.00 for an adjustable wrench.

Old 01-31-16, 06:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My last garage sale that I had, my duplicate tools were the first to go and for a fairly decent price. I got $15 for a broken craftsman belt sander (I showed them how to change the drive belt). $15 for a broken reciprocating saw (missing cotter pin which I showed them how to change). My only regret is I sold a complete metric box wrench set for $5. Next time I worked on my wife's car, realized I was missing a couple in my tool box - drat!

Old 01-31-16, 06:40 AM
My wife puts out the typical yard sale that stuff that nobody wants. She usually makes around $100 or less. I put out stuff that guys want and I usually sell everything. Last year I sold a Minn Kota trolling motor with a deep cycle battery, a set of Taylor Made golf clubs with bag and cart, a Bostich framing nailer, a Porter Cable router and biscuit joiner and a bunch of duplicate tools. I also had several boxes of accumulated plumbing and electrical. All of this was stuff that I just don't use anymore. Except for the golf clubs everything was gone in an hour or so. The clubs took longer but I sold them. Women go to yard sales to shop. Men go to buy things they need. That's why tools and sporting goods stuff sell so fast.

A couple of years ago I decided to get rid of my excess fishing tackle. I had 20+ rods and a dozen reels including a pair of Penn International reels with matching custom rods. I also had 4 soft sided tackle boxes stuffed with bass tackle. One guy bought everything for just over a grand. My best yard sale ever.