The good, the ironic and sad parts of my job

Old 01-31-16, 04:54 PM
The good, the ironic and sad parts of my job

There are a lot more professions who experience this type of thing more than I do, but I'm compelled to relate today's happenings.

As a an associate to a small chain of home improvement stores I get to see many types of people. Because I want to end on a high note, I'll start with the poignant first.

Earlier today a pretty and young women enters the store with her 6 or 7 year old daughter. I'm manning cash register this day. She comes up to cash out and I over hear her say something to her daughter. In the conversation I heard her say she had this item when Daddy was in Afghanistan. I spoke up and said to tell her husband we appreciate his service. She looked at me and said ever so softly that her husband had passed. I was struck dumb and could only say I was sorry. At that moment I could only feel extreme pride in her demeanor and strength to carry on and care for her child. This is an ugly world.

Latter that day one of my long time customers that I had not seen for some time comes in. Along with his wife and his blind man's cane. I go up and say hi. He ask to "see" some smoke and fire alarms and he, his wife and I have a conversation. I always mention to him how I'm amazed at his being blind and yet he does house hold repairs and projects. He tells me how he uses power tools such as a skill saws to cut 2 x 4's. He clamps the piece to saw horses, measures and his wife checks the measurements. She sets him up at the beginning of the cut and he begins to saw. As he approaches the end of the cut she tells him and she removes her hand to steady the board as he finishes the cut. They both laugh as they say they both still have all their fingers. In the past he has told me how he has installed doors and similar repair projects. A bad deal for them both but they manage to do what they want.

Around four o'clock this after noon as I was assembling a display in the front of the store a couple walk in and head straight to me. They both begin to profusely thank me for helping them several times. Especially since the last time I was walking to my car to go home when they drove up. I walked back in and spent about fifteen minutes helping them with a problem. They try to hand me a bottle of wine as a thank you and a token of their appreciation. I refused (I never take any tips or gratuities, as other associates sometimes do), but thanked them several times for their thoughtfulness and business. This is what makes my job fun.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-16, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You sir are a good man .

Old 02-01-16, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your blind customer reminds me of a story I heard Paul Harvey tell 30 or so years ago. A man was born in the 1800's, went to school, became a lawyer, retired and then single handedly built a 3 story house. I thought big deal until he told the rest of the story - the man was born blind!

I've lost sight in my right eye and it is a hindrance but I couldn't imagine being totally blind. That blind customer deserves our total respect!

Old 02-01-16, 04:08 AM
I asked him if he is totally blind. He told me he sees shadows and bright spot but no details. Everything is "visible" by touch.

Old 02-01-16, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wifey lost central vision in her right eye due to an accident. That means no dept of field. She can't tell if you are 2' or 8' from her, as I am sure you have experienced, Mark. Being a cardiac nurse, that would normally have put a crimp in her profession. She learned a new way to insert IV needles relying on feel more than vision. They would often call her to "stick" babies, who just don't have the veins yet that adults do. It helped rebuild her confidence.

Old 02-01-16, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is the good thing about being human - we learn to adapt.
With my right eye I can usually see shadows that aren't more than a few feet away and/or a light source across the room, some days are better/worse than others. Thankfully I still have one eye that works ok

Old 02-01-16, 06:38 AM
There lucky to have you working there.
Always interesting when shopping the box stores and trying to get someone that cares, has a clue what there talking about, or at least take you to someone that does.
If I do happen to run into someone like yourself I try and make a point of going online on there website and placing a comment about them.
I know HD does take the time to let the associate read the comment and gives them a pat on the back.

Old 02-01-16, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
What an inspiring thread. Thank everyone.

Old 02-01-16, 07:16 PM
I knew a woman who was a dear friend of ours during the time that my father was ill she was very supportive to my mom and I and visited with us during the brief time my father had been transferred to a nursing home from the hospital. She also helped my mom pick out clothes for my fathers funeral and went with her during the funeral as I had chicken pox during the funeral. Tragically later on she lost most of her sight too due to a stroke but that didn't stop her from helping people and she kept on helping people until she died of congestive heart failure.

Old 02-02-16, 03:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've heard it said that you can reap no greater reward than to help someone who you know can never repay you.