Automatic E-mail notification

Old 02-02-16, 05:21 AM
Automatic E-mail notification

Other forums of which I have been a member will automatically send an E-mail to anyone that posts a reply to any thread. I know that on this forum E-mail notification is an option but can it be changed to the default position? Make it so the responders that reply to a large number of questions each day can "opt out" of the notification but always notify the original poster that a response has been posted to their question?

This may help cut down on the number of posts where the originator never returns.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 05:32 AM
I looked around and can't find anything like what you want. It's either all or nothing.

Old 02-02-16, 06:49 AM
Norm, no offense meant but since you are not a member of the "inner circle" how would you know what is possible and what is not?

Default for this forum is to NOT send E-mails when a response has been made to a thread. Individual members MAY choose to have such E-mails sent when a thread has another posting.

Other forums, as default, send E-mails to all respondents of a thread when the thread has a new posting. What I am asking is that THIS forum have that as the default position. I ask this because often a new member will respond several days to several weeks AFTER their question has had a response (or several responses) stating that they never received an E-mail that their question HAD any response.

My feeling is that an automatic E-mail when the thread has a new response might cut way back on the "one-post wonders" that are all too prolific.

At the same time, enabling the automatic E-mail notification SHOULD also give a member the option of NOT receiving such E-mail response but it would have to be done manually by the member NOT wanting to receive an E-mail for each and every thread to which he or she may respond.

Seems to me like a pretty simple change for the Powers That Be.

Old 02-02-16, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
I will add that subscribing to notifications is not intuitive. It was only after I asked that the rather hidden way of going to Thread Tools at the top of the page was revealed to me. On other forums it is a an obvious choice below your post such as:

Name:  16.png
Views: 32
Size:  15.5 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 02-02-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
For me, its fine to have an "option" to have auto notifications but, I would plead that it NOT be made mandatory. Just sayin'..

Old 02-02-16, 09:32 AM
No offense taken, but perhaps future request of this nature be to the attention of a moderator (or a PM to same) as opposed to the general members. I only responded to a post to the public forum. I did a search of the current options available to any member.

Old 02-02-16, 10:02 AM
My whole point is to lessen the number of "one-post wonders". In my opinion there are far too many people that never return after posting a question. Some DO return several days, sometimes weeks, later but the greater percentage of those state, "I thought I would get an E-mail when someone responded". Other forums do it, why not this one?

And Dixie, I would definitely request that I NOT receive notification but that is because I check in numerous times every day looking at the new posts. I would want this "non-notification" option to be global, meaning a member would check that option in their individual control panel, for any member that CHOSE not to be notified and they would not receive any notifications at all.

And as long as I am asking for the sun, moon and sky...how about making it mandatory that a member fill in their location BEFORE giving them posting privileges?

Old 02-02-16, 02:18 PM
And as long as I am asking for the sun, moon and sky...how about making it mandatory that a member fill in their location BEFORE giving them posting privileged?

I second this request!