Alright, who's got money on the Superbowl and why?

Old 02-06-16, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Alright, who's got money on the Superbowl and why?

Which one of you stands to gain, or lose big time in tomorrows game? I'm originally from Buffalo* (spare me the condolences) so I am and forever will be rooting for the AFC in the Superbowl. What I will say is that I hope it will be a close match and not a one sided blowout.

Also, what is your menu going to be? I'm still on the fence between something nutritious and total junk food pig out.

*No Offense intended Norm, I hurt just as much to lose 4 Superbowls.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-16, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Um, who's playing? I heard one team is Denver but I never heard who they are playing.

Old 02-06-16, 05:38 PM
*No Offense intended Norm, I hurt just as much to lose 4 Superbowls.
I feel the pain! It never quite goes away.

I'm also from the old AFL days of yore and can't help but root for Denver.

No money bet, no company pool, but I will watch for the entertainment value, provided it's a reasonably close game and the officials don't decide the game.

But truth be told I'm no longer the big fan I use to be of any sport. I'm strictly a fair weather fan. If the home team does well then I'll root for them, but there are no loyalties among the players or owners, so why should I be loyal for a loosing team.

However, that being said, if the Buffalo Sabers end up ahead of the Maple Leafs, even though it may be second last place, we had a successful season.

I'm glade the the Pats are not in it. Something new to look forward to.

Does anybody want to comment on their favorite Superbowl?

For me it has to be the year Broadway Joe (predicted and) won it and made the AFL a legitimatize entity. There has since been better games and maybe more exciting games but when a guy like Joe Namath can boost and deliver and do it in New York, it means something.

Old 02-07-16, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would like to see a 27 to 28 game and last play decides it. Live in NC but would like to see Payton have a good game.

Old 02-07-16, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Alright, it is decided - Junk fool snacks with wasted calories it will be.

Making a Mexican cream cheese warm dip - My kids named it Superbowl Dip as we used to always have it during the Superbowl when they were young. Super easy to make.

2 - 8oz packages cream cheese softened
1 package dry taco seasoning mix
1 small jar of Salsa (choose your heat preference)
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Sliced Jalapeno's if desired

In a glass pie plate (or equivalent micro safe) spread the cream cheese evenly across the bottom. Cover with 1/4" layer of salsa. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top. Dust with taco seasonings. Optional sliced jalapeno peppers on top. Microwave on top until cheese is melted and all is hot. Serve with tortilla chips. Yummy.

Traditional Buffalo Chicken Wings

Deep Fried Chicken Wings topped with Frank's Hot Sauce. Celery, carrots, blue cheese dressing. Warm, satisfying and as traditional as you can get. If you need to tame it down, add a pat of butter to the sauce before tossing with the chicken.

Might be an adult beverage or two involved. Should be a good night either way.

Old 02-07-16, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like Norm, I don't have any money on it, but while I will be wholeheartedly in it for Denver 110%, I figure Carolina will win it by 21 points.

As well, I am so glad the Patriots didn't make it. Look, I was a huge Tom Brady fan... huge.. until deflate gate. Its as plain as the nose on your face he knew about it. I'm sorry but its my opinion. I only said that to say this, until Tom Brady & Bill Bela-cheat are gone, I hope they never get in another playoff game much less the Superbowl. Tom Brady was & still is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. But I cant support him any more.

As for meal, I'm glad you reminded me, I gotta put on some red beans & rice this morning. Make up some corn bread to go with that.

Old 02-07-16, 11:07 AM
I don't remember where, I think it was the hardware store last Thursday when the clerk asked me what I thought about the Superbowl. I replied, "Superbowl, what's that?"

Czizzi, both times you used the single word "alright" it was incorrect. The correct way in that context (most of the time, really) is the two words, all right. Check it by thinking if you used the word okay if it would sound acceptable, if it would then you want the two words.

Dixie, never apologize for having an opinion, as in, "I'm sorry, but..." Also remember that using a but has the tendency to negate the word preceding the but. I'm sorry, but... becomes, "I'm not sorry..."

Yes, I am a spelling and grammar ****. I can't help it as I think that communication is the way to solve all problems. If we can't communicate effectively, we have nothing.

Old 02-07-16, 12:00 PM
Being in Michigan, we're used to finding someone else to cheer for this time of the year. I was actually thinking the Packers might get this far, but, since they didn't, I'm going with the Bronco's. I didn't care much either way, and was actually impressed by Cam's on field ability at some point, but kept hearing the words from the man himself that I didn't like him because of his ethnicity, and, sure enough, after a few variations of that, he was right. He belittled himself so much in that manner, in my opinion anyway, that I actually hope he loses. And I didn't really care one way or the other, other than hoping the game was good, so I will sleep just fine, and most likely will have to find out who won in the morning.

Old 02-07-16, 01:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Furd - ever heard of slang - its a football fun thread.

From Dictionary.com - Alright | Define Alright at Dictionary.com

Alright [awl-rahyt]

Examples

adverb
1.all right. Can be confused all right, alright (see usage note at the current entry)

Usage note
The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing.

Oxford dictionary also gives it a pass in an informal setting - all right: definition of all right in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

Old 02-08-16, 09:41 AM
Alrighty then, pretty boring game with some good defense by Denver, quarterback stats were terrible on both sides. I'm glad Denver won and I just hope Payton retires, hate to see it when they stay too long. Never know though, he could have a good year or two.

Newton was a punk after the game, sitting there in his little hoodie with his lip hanging down then just walking out. He's young, hope he learns from this and grows up a little.

Missed the first half whilst snow blowing and see it will be replayed tonight on the NFL Network, guess I'll give it another look.

Old 02-08-16, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
At least the Carolina coach seemed like a class act / good sport.

Old 02-08-16, 12:14 PM
Yes he did.
========================

Old 02-08-16, 04:15 PM
Newton was a punk after the game, sitting there in his little hoodie with his lip hanging down then just walking out.

Baldwin you beat me to it. I thought that Newton acted like a spoiled brat.

I gotta put on some red beans & rice this morning.

All that needs is a pile of Andouille. Being a Yankee I usually make garlic bread instead of cornbread.

Old 02-08-16, 04:17 PM
I thought the first bad ref call was a real stinker. Carolina made that catch and had control of the ball.

Old 02-08-16, 04:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought the first bad ref call was a real stinker. Carolina made that catch and had control of the ball.
And the first conspiracy theory is born...Norm - It's Scotty Norwood syndrome - trust me!

Old 02-08-16, 04:29 PM

Old 02-08-16, 04:38 PM
Sure enough, I couldn't keep my eyes open long into the third quarter, so went to bed, and was quite content this morning when I heard that the team with the spoiled brat at the helm had lost. Norm, I do agree with you, and in fact think "that stinks" is exactly what I said to my wife on that call. But at least it seems consistent with the regular season. Yeah, we're getting older, so maybe we watched a few more quarters this year, and maybe the rules are just getting too darn complicated, but it sure seems to me that there were a lot of questionable calls. You watch one guy get cheered while doing the hoochie coochie for something that he's paid to do, and the next guy gets flagged for throwing his fist in the air for the same accomplishment. In yesterday's game, I'm not sure that anyone even touched Newton after he slid on one of his runs, probably because they figured it would draw a flag. It's a rough game, no doubt, and there have to be rules to prevent some of the over the top stuff, but I'm not so sure but what it's going too far the other way in some areas.

Search this Thread