National Pizza Day

Old 02-09-16, 04:31 PM
National Pizza Day

In case you missed it today is National Pizza Day so I'll leave you with something to think about...

You're welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-16, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Did you get that from Sammy's ?

Old 02-09-16, 06:10 PM
Poor Garys but I think my sister said Sammys makes just about the same one. Very good!

Sausage and mushroom.

Old 02-09-16, 09:13 PM
That looks great Baldwin I wish I knew about it being national pizza day earlier. I give up meat for lent at least on Fridays and the beginning of lent but I really like Vegetable pizza. Too bad I don't have pizza places like that around here it looks better than most around here.

Old 02-10-16, 02:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
OMG. In NY, waxed paper is used between the pizza & the box to avoid the taste of cardboard. Are they that cheap in MN?

Old 02-10-16, 08:04 AM
I've never seen that. Maybe we like the taste of cardboard over wax?

Old 02-10-16, 10:20 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You don't taste the wax. It's a paper that's made for the pizza business. I can't believe that it's not used in your state.

Old 02-10-16, 01:34 PM
I think it's a parchment paper, not wax. Some places use it around here but most do not.

I didn't know pizza (which IMO ranks right up there with cheeseburgers as God's culinary gift to man) existed until I was in my teens. I had my first pizza when I was 19 years old. As a kid, my house was strictly meat and potatoes. An exotic food would be mac and cheese or rice.

Now when we go out to dinner we have a huge choice of ethnic foods available.

Old 02-10-16, 02:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The pizzeria owners who don't use the paper probably use synthetic cheese also. A full sized pizza takes a least a pound of cheese. When you see a place that floods it with cheese, you can bet that it's synthetic. An pizzeria owner taught me the tricks of the trade.

Even though I'm of Italian decent, we didn't bother with pizza either. I don't think that my father & grand parents ever ate it. I didn't have it until I was in my teens as well.

Old 02-10-16, 02:58 PM
You don't taste the wax
I know, didn't you notice the wink?

I'll bet it is parchment paper, I use it when I make peanut butter cookies.

Today I asked my three kids who all live near the twin cities if they've ever seen paper under the pizza and none had. Daughter said it must be an east coast thing .

Old 02-10-16, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know the local Little Caesars has a corrugated type liner between the pizza and the cardboard with their deep dish pizzas, I'm thinking their regular pizza doesn't but couldn't say for sure.

Old 02-10-16, 03:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Baldwin, I missed the wink, I thought it was a blue smiley.

marksr, You might be better off with a mom & pop pizzeria than a chain.

Old 02-10-16, 06:28 PM
marksr, You might be better off with a mom & pop pizzeria than a chain.
I can't speak for marksr but in my area there really is only one place that we tried once that had better pizza than a chain. It has been a while though since we bought from them so I have forgotten the name. It was a bit expensive without any coupon so we haven't bought there in a while. Also near the University Of Maryland which is a high rent area and many restaurants if they are not chains are more expensive. They have places in the same are that make great calzones but we don't buy those too often just too much food for us.

Old 02-10-16, 07:15 PM
Temporarily Suspended
hedgeclippers, I don't know what's considered expensive there. It shouldn't be more than $12 for a full pie. As far as other food goes, if the portion is that big, it can be saved for another day.

Old 02-10-16, 08:56 PM
Pulpo we consider $16.99 to be too high the place we had bought from now has a $15.00 minimum order before delivering. I agree normally we save food but calzones tend to get limp and soggy. Pizza on the other hand we can keep that for at least a couple of days and while we like calzones you usually have to order two before they will deliver. Nobody drives in this family as the grocery store and other things are nearby within walking distance so we just order our pizza and calzones when we buy calzones.

Old 02-10-16, 11:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
$16.99 is high. I wouldn't pay that much either. Then again, I rarely use delivery service.

Old 02-11-16, 02:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We stop at Little Caesar's 2-3 times a month. The main reason we go there is because of 'hot and ready' - don't have to order or normally have a waiting time. Quick in and out and only $8 for the deep dish pizza. While I like the deep dish pepperoni, there are better tasting options available - just not worth the addition time/price.

I've never lived anywhere that you could get pizza delivered. There is a pizza shop in nearby town that will deliver to an old defunct store parking lot about 1.5 miles from me.

Old 02-11-16, 02:46 AM
Wow! In my area a GOOD pizza is over $20. My favorite place (two locations, one family ownership) regularly has coupons for $3 to $5 off and that is the only way I buy their pizza. No delivery option from this place but of those that do deliver the charge last time I had one delivered (probably a year or more ago) was $3.50 plus a tip for the driver.

Further, I don't know what a "full size" pie is. Around here a "large" is about 14 inches and a "jumbo" is about 16 inches.

Old 02-11-16, 05:56 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Now that I think of it, I paid $15.00 the last time I bought a pizza. 14" sounds about right, for a full pie.

Old 02-12-16, 09:13 AM
I have no idea but this is what my daughter-in-law said:

New York style pizza is super 'wet' they need something to stop it from soaking through the box.

Old 02-12-16, 02:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Super wet? I've been eating NY pizza for about 50 years & I've never seen that. Ask your daughter where she was when she saw pizza that wet.