Okay, here's one for the grammar police...

Old 02-13-16, 03:43 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, here's one for the grammar police...

Factoid blurb in Business section of today's paper:

"SigFig [investment tracking service] men are more likely to own automobile stocks such as Tesla, GM, and Ford than women".

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-16, 04:45 AM
That's a tough one.

Women resent being possessed; while you can buy an Option on a Blue Chip.

Old 02-13-16, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Ok i'll bite... what's wrong with it?

Old 02-13-16, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brant, the grammar elicits that men prefer car stocks to women, as opposed to men, rather than women, prefer cars.

Old 02-13-16, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Taking it at face value, I agree men are more likely to own stocks than own women. And even when we do claim ownership of a woman - some how we aren't the boss

Old 02-13-16, 07:00 AM
I have several grammar related tee-shirts (long story), but my favorite is:

Let's eat Grandma
Let's eat, Grandma
--Commas save lives!

Old 02-13-16, 07:08 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It's not that it's grammatically incorrect. It's ambiguous. One extra word would remove the ambiguity.

Men are more likely to own automobile stocks such as Tesla, GM, and Ford than women are.

Old 02-13-16, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Well, the last "are" is supposed to be understood. Words that are understood are dropped all the time. Guess that's why I didn't get it.

Old 02-13-16, 08:00 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Basically, I took the easy way out. The best way to rewrite that sentence is:

Men are more likely than women, to own automobile stocks such as Tesla, GM & Ford .

Looking at the OP again, there was a grammatical error. It was the comma before the word and. A comma doesn't belong in front of a conjunction.

Side note: I constantly hear grammatical errors from reporters & the candidates. I can't knock the two Cubans because English is probably not their first language. The biggest mistake from all of them, except Hillary is, "the people that". It should be "the people who". Another mistake is "try and". It should be "try to".

Nunca vote por un Cubano.

Old 02-13-16, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
In your new example, i would be of the opinion that the comma after women is unecessary... it's not expressing a contrasting thought when placed I that order. I didn't see anything wrong with the original!

Also, the use of an Oxford comma in a list (used before the and) is a matter of taste and depends o the style of writing used. Many writing styles require it.

Old 02-13-16, 08:26 AM
Temporarily Suspended
In your new example, i would be of the opinion that the comma after women is unecessary... it's not expressing a contrasting thought when placed I that order.
Yes & no. Comma usage has been changing, in recent years. At this point in time, you are correct. It was always used to isolate a prepositional phrase. Now it's not.

As far as a comma before a conjunction goes, I will never do that.

Old 02-13-16, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
Commas are sometimes used after prepositional phrases... but rarely before. Either that or new grammar is going the way of new math.

Old 02-13-16, 03:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I guess that we were taught different things since we are from different places. My mother had a degree in English. I learned most of my grammar from her. She taught in the early 40s on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

My sister taught English as a second language for 15 years & now teaches computers, in Spanish. I speak fluent Spanish & some Italian. I'm not trying to brag. I just want to explain my thinking. Yes, grammar could be going the way of the new math which we certainly don't need.

Old 02-14-16, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
where is Furd when you need him.

Old 02-14-16, 08:17 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Talking about bad grammar, I just heard one of the worst mistakes. It was made by Nina Totenberg who is the legal correspondent, for NPR. She said, "I should have knew".

I should have known is correct

Old 02-14-16, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
I still laugh when I think about the angry parent that I overheard in a store who was chastising his misbehaving child...

"When we get home, we're not doing NOTHING!"

I thought to myself... well, if you're not doing nothing that must mean that you ARE doing SOMETHING! Good 'old double negatives... gotta love em.

Old 02-14-16, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
My wording would have been what pulpo said, "Men are more likely than women.....".

On a side note, if I hear one more person (politician especially) using the word (or non-word) "disrespecting/disresepcted" I think my head may explode.

Old 02-14-16, 02:30 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Good 'old double negatives.
It's only English that has that rule.