You Broke The Internet

Old 02-16-16, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
You Broke The Internet

Dang, this forum broke the internet. I went to click on a link in a post while cruising the forums and bam my router lost connection. AT&T says it is on their side. They can't get a tech to check it till tomorrow between 8am and 8pm.

Was jonesing so bad I sold my soul to Xfinity just to get on line for an hour.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-16, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can sit in my chair and watch the blinking of the lights on the modem and tell when it is about to puke. After numerous "resetting" excursions, I realized it was Windstream and quit getting up. After an hour or so things return to normal. Just a nuisance.

Old 02-16-16, 07:51 PM
It hasn't happened real often here but the internet goes out on us too with Verizon. Usually kind of late at night when it might not bother other people but I am kind of a night owl so it bothers me. Just easier to get some things done at night. When it is really annoying though is when we are watching a streaming video and it is in the middle of a show we watch during the day. I used Xfinity for an hour myself here a neighbor had it and you can use your neighbors wifi legally for an hour if you log in through your browser.

The wifi signal was lousy but I was able to post on this forum back when I needed it probably about a year ago now. If I was a Comcast customer though I wouldn't want anyone sharing my router even though it would be a separate signal.

Old 02-17-16, 04:57 AM
I have Time-Warner. Most of the time its great, But every couple months I must reset the modem perhaps several times a day. Then everything will be normal for several months again. But I am convinced that T-W throttles back the speed at various times. Very frustrating.

Old 02-17-16, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Well it gets better and better. Tech was out, his best guess is a cut cable but where they aren't sure. I am sure I can't keep paying xfinity $8 a day.

Old 02-17-16, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
I have FiOS and had to reset my modem for the first time ever on Monday.

I didn't think to try resetting it. All the lights on it were normal. So I called for service and she said I broke the internet. She said my modem lost it's lease so resetting it gave it a new IP address.

Old 02-19-16, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Finally four days and fixed. As it turns out a car crashed into a wiring cabinet and then a copper thief stole all the copper out of the box.

Old 02-19-16, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome back. The ol' copper thieves will get you every time.

Old 02-20-16, 03:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I haven't heard about it in a few years what blows my mind is the copper thieves that have gone up live power poles to steal the copper. Hard to imagine a thief being that desperate .......... or brave

Old 02-20-16, 06:55 AM
A few years ago, two teenagers attempted to cut through the power to a 3 phase HVAC system. Short story, they were cutting through two phases simultaneously before it obliterated them.

Old 02-20-16, 07:19 AM
We have had copper thieves up here too of HVAC systems. Fortunately for the thieves at least in our case(not us personally) no one was electrocuted. However unfortunately for the various churches and businesses they were without HVAC for a while until insurance kicked in and they received money for replacements. One year it was so bad that you heard about it almost every night in the whole metro area. Thankfully no private homes to my knowledge were robbed.

Old 02-20-16, 07:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, they've hit the churches around here too I guess they figure it's easy pickin's since most are vacant 4-5 nights a week.

Old 02-20-16, 12:32 PM
Ya, they've hit the churches around here too I guess they figure it's easy pickin's since most are vacant 4-5 nights a week.
Up in Maryland and the surrounding metro area they have started building tall chain link fences and I have heard they figured on a way to alarm the HVAC units. A shame though when that money could be better spent helping the poor and disadvantaged in the case of churches. The businesses too could have maybe used some of that money for pay raises if they hadn't been robbed.

Old 02-20-16, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
they have started building tall chain link fences
But the people who steel copper probably have bolt cutters and cable cutters so not sure how much that would slow them down. Here they use steel cages similar to burglar bars. Imagine a jail cell for your A/C.

Old 02-20-16, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Getting harder to sell A/C units here. Have to have a hvac lic. or receipt for new unit before junk people will take them.

Old 02-21-16, 03:43 AM
Same thing, here, Don. It solves the question of where the copper came from as well as keeping the release of the refrigerant into the atmosphere to a minimum. Even copper piping prices are reduced if there is any solder on it. My helper salvages what we pull from jobsites, and he says he has to cut the joints out in order to obtain a better price.

Sorry, Ray, we are really on a tangent, here.

Old 02-21-16, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting tangent though. .

Old 02-21-16, 02:08 PM
Very interesting tangent I think from what I have heard anyway that the copper thieves just steel the copper out of the HVAC units and then they just dump them. Been a while since we had any copper thefts though so I am not sure. Probably the cold weather in my area has kept the thieves away.

Old 02-21-16, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember correctly one of the HVAC unit thieves they caught locally was a HVAC guy who was installing the 'used' units for his customers. He was rewarded with free room and board at the local greybar hotel

Old 02-21-16, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
one of the HVAC unit thieves they caught locally was a HVAC guy who was installing the 'used' units for his customers
For those who can remember TVs with adjustment knobs on the front if the brightness knob was turned all the way you would have no picture or even a visible raster. The old TV repairman knew if there were young kids in the house one of the first things to check was if the brightness knob was turned all the way down.

Some unscrupulous repairmen would wait till the owner wasn't looking and check the brightness. If that was the problem he would give them the bad news that the picture tube was bad. The old B&W CRTs for a given diameter were pretty much universal so he'd just swap out with a CRT on his truck from the last house that had the brightness all the way down. Before testing the "new" CRT he'd turn the brightness knob back up when the customer wasn't looking.

Bonus points for the newbies if you know what "no visible raster" means in the above.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-21-16 at 04:24 PM.