Sometimes it's better to stay home

Old 02-20-16, 09:17 AM
Sometimes it's better to stay home

I left the house at about 6:00 yesterday morning, and was on a new construction site most of the day, so, between walking around on uneven ground and it being a little chilly, was a ready for dinner and to call it quits when I got home. But it's Lent, and the local Knights of Columbus always puts on good fish dinners, so when my loving bride got home from work and said she wasn't cooking, I knew where we were headed. What the heck, we're in the country, and our local town is small, so it's always a good time to share a few jokes and catch up on the local news. Off we went. The wind was blowing like crazy, they said about 30-40 mph, with gusts of 50-55, but was out of the southwest so the temp was creeping up, and not bad out there. Good dinner, good company, and now we're head home to relax. I was in the middle of an S curve, doing all of 30-35 when the wind blew a tree down right in front of us. The first I saw it was at the same time that the windshield shattered; didn't go all the way through, but enough that we had small pieces all over the front seat. As soon as I stopped I turned to my wife, and she sure looked shocked, as I imagine I did, but she was okay too. Fortunately, a guy who I happen to know a little bit came along right after it happened, and he and I were able to push, pull, and pry a few hundred pounds of tree out of the road. Not how I planned to spend the rest of the evening, but called the insurance company, and have an appointment scheduled for Monday to replace the windshield. The only other thing I can find is two broken clearance lights, and, for $13 a piece, I figured it would be easier to just replace them myself rather than messing with the insurance. So, over all, just one of those things I guess.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-16, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It shouldn't be any more hassle to have the insurance cover the lights also .... and you can always still replace them yourself.

Glad y'all didn't get hurt!

Old 02-20-16, 12:47 PM
I am glad you were not hurt too and I agree I think I would go ahead and let the insurance company take care of the lights. I know you and your wife are shook up and you may be a bit scared to go down that stretch of road but I wouldn't let that stop me from going to the Knights Of Columbus again. Just keep the good memories and try to forget the trauma, not easy I know but fear can be paralyzing I saw that after my parents were in an accident.

Old 02-20-16, 02:30 PM
Yes, I figured I was getting too long as it was by then, but should have said that I will send the bill for the lights to my agent, and assume they will cover them. My main concern was getting something in motion on the windshield, and was tired, so was satisfied once they had a replacement for that lined up. On the other part, yes, it was a bit of a shock for a few minutes, but neither the wife nor I are spring chickens, so we've been through enough that it's not going to have any lingering effect, other than adding strong winds to the list of weather conditions in which not to go out if we don't have to. In fact we took her car back over there this morning, just to make certain that we had the tree far enough off the road.

Old 02-20-16, 03:45 PM
WOW! Glad no one was hurt. Hope the roof pillars were no damaged as the tree hit. No hood damage? I'm surprised.

Post some pics if you can.

Old 02-23-16, 03:22 PM
Stay home is right.

Dashcam video shows train striking semi on Iron Range | Duluth News Tribune

Feel sorry for the old timer.

Old 02-23-16, 03:50 PM
WOW! And you betcha as far as feeling for him. Maybe distracted by being stopped by the trooper or weighmaster, maybe assumed there were some cars just setting, who knows, but that would definitely mess up the day.

As far as my original post, I wasn't going to drag it back from a couple of days ago unless someone else did, but thank you for the thoughts as far as nobody being hurt. Norm, nope, amazes me too, but no scratches that I can find, and the fit on the doors and windows is good, so no sign that anything is sprung. When I looked at the tree and the stump that it came from again, I'm thinking that it did fall into us, and that it then slid off of the stump, which allowed it to drop into the ditch farther, and lift the top just enough for us to slip under it as I stopped. All in fractions of seconds of course, and I obviously don't know for sure, but it's about the only thing that makes sense. Either that or God held it up for us, and I do believe in Him, but don't necessarily believe that he would go as far as literally holding back a tree for little old me. On the other hand, the wife was with me, and He might do it for her! My dad always said "sheet metal can be replaced", meaning that he might not be happy if one of us crunched a fender, but wasn't going to dwell on it as long as nobody was hurt. And that's how I look at it. Got the windshield replaced yesterday morning, and the clearance lenses are on back order, but talked with agent, and they will cover them once I have the bill. So all is good.

Old 02-23-16, 08:55 PM
Good to hear everything will work out. You were lucky or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. One more serving of lutefisk and it wouldn't have happened.

Maybe distracted by being stopped by the trooper...
Absolutely, I'd call it flustered. Some people come unglued during a traffic stop and it takes a bit to get it together, myself included. I haven't been pulled over in decades yet get a cop on my tail and it drives me nuts for no reason whatsoever. Go figure.