Just an anecdote

Old 02-21-16, 06:45 AM
Just an anecdote

Just an anecdote

Yesterday at work an elderly couple comes in with a broken storm door window. They ask if I can repair it. I tell them probably but I wonít know for sure until I figure out how to remove gasket and take apart frame. I also tell them that state law requires that all door glass replacement must be tempered glass or Plexiglas. Since we donít do tempered it needs to be Plexi. And it will be expensive! About $60. Thatís about Ĺ to 1/3 cost of a new door.

They understood and agreed to the repair. I then ask them how old the door is. They say about 2 years and itís a Larson.

At the expense of losing a sale I tell them to leave the frame here and go home and call Larson to see if they will cover under warranty (glass broke without warning or use, apparently stress and or heat related) or most likely at a lesser cost than me to repaired. Call me and let me know. I wonít do anything until I hear from them.

They call about an hour latter and tell me that Larson will sell them a new window at $40 including shipping. A no brainier. Because of the way I treated them they tell me they will need a new back storm door and will buy it from me and all future purchased will be with us if possible. WIN-WIN.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-16, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Customer service at its finest!

Old 02-21-16, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Nice job Norm... honesty still is the best policy!

They will probably be your advocates from now on too... word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

Old 02-21-16, 07:34 AM
We are told to always up sell the customer. But that goes against my grain. I'll always ask the customer if he can get away with the cheap tool or does he need a quality tool for the job (depending on the type of job).

A prime example are zip ties. We sell high quality GE & B&G brand in our electrical department, but also a dollar bin pack of cheapies. If they need to just hang holiday string lights for Xmas on their rail I'll sell them the cheap ones. But if it comes to buying a faucet I'll tell them to buy the most expensive they can afford and try to go with Moen, Delta or American Standard. Not the Peerless or Aquafresh.

Search this Thread