2 unrelated questions that have been on my mind.

Old 02-27-16, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
2 unrelated questions that have been on my mind.

1st

Does anyone have a clue why my ice cube trays often grow small stalagmites from 1 or 2 cubes? There's no condensation (or very little, not enuf to drip) while I have the door open. I put the plastic trays on the top shelf where the ice bucket and bin used to be. I use cold water in the plastic trays.

2nd

Why do our cars have the drivers side on the left? Almost every movie or TV western or museum shows the driver of a stage or wagon on the right. As I understand it was so the driver could draw his weapon or more easily leap off the wagon/stage/buggy. I would think it would have continued into the motor age?

Much of the rest of the world drives on the right side of the road and I understand that part of it, so they have the driver on the left. Any history buffs have a clue as to why we drive on the right?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-16, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No idea on the stalagmites. I do know on a frost free freezer compartment ice cubes will just evaporate in time. It happens to our rental cabin if we don't have guests for a spell. Probably the air movement to keep the frost down that does that.

Mass production of automobiles was first in America. Oddly the driver sat in the middle of the vehicle and steered with a tiller. I think Europe, especially England just got a mirror image of our vehicles from a bad fax and absolutely got it wrong. Having the driver on the right side, implemented the necessity of driving on the left side of the road so the driver's view wouldn't be impaired.

I guess it goes with boats, too. Note you drive on the right and pass others on the opposite side.

Old 02-28-16, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
1. Ice forms on the outer surfaces of the the cube but the water in the center is still above the freezing point. As the water approaches freezing it expands so sometimes the top of the cube will bulge upwards or if the ice on top cracks or breaks under the strain the water can erupt where it freezes coming up and out the top. An odd tidbit is water is at it's greatest volume right before the freezing point and then it contracts slightly as it converts to a solid.

2. I have no clue but I'm off to do some Googling now that you have me wondering.

Old 02-28-16, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Just to add to Dane's point from 1., water is at its most dense at 4 C so as it goes from there down to being frozen, it expands.

Old 02-28-16, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
OK, i can partially get the bulging thing...I know most cubes have a bulged center...but these are about an inch tall and it just didn't seem possible. Btw, I knew about the expansion and contraction. Guess those brain cells from Mr Bryants advanced chemistry are still functional.