How long until you are auto logged off and does autosave do anything?

Old 03-04-16, 02:53 PM
How long until you are auto logged off and does autosave do anything?

Hi all, I just spent way too long drafting a way too long post. While I know that I should have copied my draft to something on my machine, I forgot. It is very frustrating to hit preview post and be confronted with the logon screen. Although I don't know that it matters much, how long is it before I'm auto logged off? I've asked about this before (here or someplace else) but is my autosaved draft anywhere that I can find? Hoping you'll tell me to look in my temp directory for a file named xxxxxxxxx.tmp or something! Using Firefox in Win 10 BTW.

Luckily no breakdowns, or being lazy, not doing anything so I don't visit this site often, but that autosave message gives me a false sense of security. If it doesn't do anything can you please take it off? Especially if the user is in the post thread mode and the autosaves aren't accessible, it would be nice if the site issued one of those prompts like "You haven't had any activity for xx minutes, do you want to remain logged on?" and give them 5 minutes to get back from the bathroom or whatever. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-16, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Except for internet glitches I don't ever recall being logged out unintentionally. There is a 'restore saved content' [or something like that] that will pop up if you don't complete your post and re log onto that thread.

Old 03-04-16, 03:16 PM
Ah Mark a glimmer of hope . . . until I saw the "re log onto that thread". But I'm making a new thread so there isn't one to logon to. And just going to the same sub-forum doesn't yield any such message.

Last edited by Helpmepls; 03-04-16 at 03:18 PM. Reason: sub-forum - had called it topic
Old 03-04-16, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
You shouldn't be getting automatically logged off, due to inactivity or any other reason. It's never happened to me or most of us, AFAIK.
The restore save does work, but failed for you due to getting logged off.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with this site, but I will try to find out why it's happening.

Old 03-04-16, 03:44 PM
I also get auto logged off regularly. As with Helpmepls it has happened while writing a long reply. I've learned to ctl-A ctl-C often just in case. Pretty sure it is site related as it doesn't happen on other boards, even those running the same software.

As a further annoyance, when it happens, it marks all forums read, so when I log back in and hit new posts, there are none.

Old 03-04-16, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
When you log in you need to check the box to keep you logged in... This will prevent that... But if you run cleaning software it may erase that data... I never get logged off when checking that box at the log in screen....

Old 03-04-16, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Even when coming back after being logged off.... the auto restore is saved on the system but like you mentioned.... it only works when you were responding to an existing thread..... not a new thread you started.

Old 03-04-16, 05:44 PM
Lawrosa - I don't see a box to check when I log in. Are you using FB to logon? I'm not. I think I went through all the user settings and couldn't find anything like that. Logged out, closed window and opened a new window still no option to stay logged in. I haven't closed browser and restarted it or used IE or another browser. I do have the "remember me" checked and while I don't usually, I am using the Firefox "remember password" for this site so the logon info is preloaded. Any other thoughts?

Did scroll through the avatars and if I had seen one with a big hammer and a big red thumb, I would have picked that, but alas there was only the guy banging their head against the computer. Applicable, but too close to home!

Old 03-04-16, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
I don't see a box to check when I log in
Name:  19.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  33.5 KB .

Old 03-04-16, 06:14 PM
I don't have a Facebook account so I have no idea what that log in may reveal. Look closely for the Remember Me box on the regular log in page, it IS there but sometimes you don't (at least I don't) always see it. Get in the habit of always checking that box when logging in.

If you do not check the box you will be logged out after about twenty, maybe thirty minutes of inactivity, which means not actively switching among the various threads. It doesn't matter if you are composing a new thread or a response to an existing thread, you will be logged out if you have not checked the box.

If you check the box AND your browser saves cookies upon closing, the next time you visit the forum you will already be logged in, even if you shut down the computer.

Old 03-04-16, 07:22 PM
I will try that, but as a rule, I always uncheck that box as it is (not so much on this site) a security issue. I never stay logged into any site any longer than needed. Guess it's my computer nerd side....

Old 03-04-16, 07:26 PM
Sorry for the confusion guys, I have seen sites that have a "Stay logged on" box which, to me, is different than a "remember me". I think I have been checking that box, but may not be since my browser already remembers me on this site. Will test that out and report back if I find that I still get logged off, losing draft new threads.

Old 03-04-16, 07:41 PM
Well, this is a bit puzzling - different logon screen. Windows 10 or Firefox? Wonder if doityourself.com or OS sees that userid is already filled in and foregoes giving me the option to check a remember me box.
Name:  screenshot-www doityourself com 2016-03-04 22-31-43.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  19.9 KB

Old 03-04-16, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Windows 10 or Firefox?
My previous screen shot was Opera (Linux). This is Firefox (Linux).

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  27.8 KB

Firefox 10 Windows 2000

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 03-05-16, 05:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
This site doesn't doesn't seem to have an idle timeout. It's ok to check the stay connected box. I wouldn't check remember me. That stores your password & it maybe possible to dump the hash, from the SAM file. I tested it against my Windows 7 box with metasploit & psexec. To my surprise, it worked. It didn't work against XP.

Old 03-05-16, 09:23 AM
Maybe auto log off isn't quite right and I found the other/real logon screen

Last night I left a similar post up on my computer and this morning after I pressed the post button, I got this screen:

Name:  screenshot-www doityourself com 2016-03-05 11-19-13.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  15.0 KB

[Edit] I have forgotten what pressing the back button did, I think it took me to thread but suffice it to say without my intended post [/edit]

And while I had hit <ctrl> + <c> the intended post, I got distracted before I control veed (bet you didn't know that could be a verb) it any place. So it too may be accessible in my hash.

OMG

Name:  screenshot-www doityourself com 2016-03-05 12-02-37.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  12.3 KB

Since the system had performed an auto-save while I was typing this, I was going to see what the auto-saved content was - today's or last night's. But after I previewed the post it, that function disappeared. I wonder if that has been there all along . . . maybe scrolled below my visible screen? . . . but obviously you need to catch it right away. [edit] I suppose if I had pressed the reply button right after being returned to the thread after the post error message, I would have been able to recover it. [/edit]

As far as the logon screen, when I accessed the thread directly from the email link, I did get the logon screen that you all have. The other times I had accessed it by typing the home page URL and then pressing the user head icon. Haven't tested yet, to see if that is consistent behavior.

Pulpo - 'dump the hash from the SAM file'? While I know what a hash dump is, I don't know how to do one without a button (as some programs issue when they crash) or what/where my SAM file is. And, as to 'staying logged on' are you referring to the FB logon?

Old 03-05-16, 10:38 AM
Definitely get the "NO remember me" logon screen when I have logged off and then accessed the site via the home page URL. But when I accessed it by a random link from my browser history, I get the one that has the "remember me" checkbox.

And much to my relief, I found that I'm not blind or senile after all. When I logged out, I got an "are you sure" type message, I said yes, it thanked me and suggested returning soon and followed up with a redirect to a different error page that allowed me to log back on.

Attachment 63637

I logged back on and then at that point I am returned to a blank posting screen with the "restore auto-saved content" off the visible screen. I swear at my computer, and hit the browser back button. Get a document expired page, press the forward button and still looking at a blank reply. However now that I know to scroll down, I was pleasantly surprised see that the "restore auto-saved content" is still there. At least until I start typing that is.

Embarrassed to have seen that there is a checkbox for "remember me" on this other error screen, but found that the "restore auto-saved content" is present, albeit out of view, regardless of whether or not I check that box.

In summary, FWIW the only changes I would suggest if were I User Liaison or something at Doityourself.com, would be 1) to use one logon screen since both have the new user function and 2) move the "restore auto-saved content" up, maybe into the text box, or as an additional line at the bottom of the formatting area (that way it would stand out somewhat with most of the icons on the last line being dim).

Haven't played around with a new thread to see if I have been missing that "restore" function too. Can't today so if someone knows for certain what that behavior is, please feel free to reply. Suffice it to say, I hope I'll be sure to scroll down before going back or closing the window or swearing. :NO NO NO:

Old 03-05-16, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
I never log off. There's no reason to. Try just closing the window and you should stay logged on.
This site doesn't log you off due to inactivity, so not sure what's going on there.

Old 03-05-16, 02:19 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Pulpo - 'dump the hash from the SAM file'? While I know what a hash dump is, I don't know how to do one without a button (as some programs issue when they crash) or what/where my SAM file is. And, as to 'staying logged on' are you referring to the FB logon?
You can't dump a hash, in the same Windows that you're running. It has to be done, from Linux or Unix. The SAM file is the Security Accounts Manager. No, I wasn't referring to FB. I don't use FB or Twitter. It may not even be on this site normally. I never log off so I don't remember.