Squirrel proof

Old 03-13-16, 08:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Squirrel proof

Wifey comes home with what she described as a squirrel proof feeder. I already have two hanging up that are counter weighted and work exceedingly good. BUT, she had to get it. Note the wooden design hanging up and note the placard that was attached to it. "Squirrel proof HANGER" Sure the cable is squirrel proof, but they eat like nobody's business once they jump to the feeder. I think there is something to be said for "truth in advertising".

Name:  20160313_112514.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  20160313_112539.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  23.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-16, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
It's the one on the left? That doesn't even look squirrel resistant.

Old 03-13-16, 09:22 AM
Yeah, one on the left. It isn't, IMO. But the HANGER is. Not the feeder.

Old 03-13-16, 09:59 AM
I spent two years and a sum of money trying to squirrel proof my two Blue Jay feeders I put peanuts in. Absolutely nothing worked and I eventually gave up and submitted to the fact that I was feeding the squirrels and the Blue Jays. Actually, one thing worked. Having both my dogs sitting right under the feeders looking up. "One wrong move squirrel, and you're a dead man."

This was my last attempt. Wrapping the 2X4 with rigid plastic thinking they wouldn't be able to climb on it. Fail.

Old 03-13-16, 12:29 PM
Well I can appreciate the Squirrel proof "hanger" as they made short work of the rope I used the first time. Heavy wire was next but then watched them get up there and shovel the food out until it was empty, then go to the ground and feast.

Saw a video a few years ago about all of the steps that a squirrel had solved one by one to get to the feeder, it was a heart attack to watch.

Larry, my house is full of the latest and greatest everything due to that advertising. It feels good to be throwing it away now, like my reasoning was correct as they never were used. A waste, but some people just can't resist and I'm married to one.

Bud

Old 03-13-16, 10:35 PM
Larry I never have seen anything that would keep squirrels away not any kind of bid feeder. The squirrels might look dumb but they are fairly clever creatures and when they smell food they like they find a way to get it. I remember years ago my grandmother used to put an upside down pie tin on a pole to discourage squirrels from getting to the bird food but that never worked. Then I believe my moms friend when she was living in a house used bells to discourage squirrels from getting to her bird feeder it never worked.

I remember that video someone posted here about discouraging squirrels from getting to a bird feeder and that was only partially successful. We take a different approach we just feed the birds and the squirrels peanuts every once in a while and it is first come first served here. Over here too we have a bit of brick under the living room window and the squirrels and birds like to perch on the window sill and look inside. I and my mom like watching the squirrels and occasionally with the flash off on my camera I take pictures of them.

Old 03-13-16, 11:23 PM
Group Moderator
My parents had one of these Yankee flippers. It worked great but didn't last too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YZIhlWpS0

Old 03-14-16, 12:03 AM
Pete this video shows probably why the bird feeder didn't last long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBya--psxI It is a bit long at 10 minutes at about half way the squirrel gets his food finally but he keeps on spinning on the bird feeder until he gets his food.

Old 03-14-16, 03:00 AM
The red one in my picture works great. The weight of the squirrel forces the bar down and occludes the food from them. They are left 20' off the ground hanging without a means of recovery. They have to drop off. But they keep coming back I have the counter weight set so my two pilated woodpeckers can feed, but the squirrel can't.

Old 03-14-16, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Larry... that is too much. That squirrel had some will power to hold on that long.

Old 03-14-16, 03:53 PM
That is a riot. You could add some cute captions for the conversation between the one spinning and the one on the ground.

Bud

Old 03-15-16, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by wildbill7145
I snapped 6" aluminum duct over a tree limb where my feeder hangs. That seems to be too big, hard, smooth & loose for the critters to grab on.
Of course on yours they will just leap from the vertical post.

Old 03-15-16, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
I remember seeing a fascinating documentary many years ago about squirrels ability to overcome obstacles. It was crazy what they were able to reason out.