fiberglass power poles

Old 03-26-16, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
fiberglass power poles

I know curiosity killed the cat but here goes

Went to my youngest son's house to help him with some repairs and we got to discussing the industrial looking power poles they installed in his neighborhood over the last 2 yrs. The tag on the poles say it's 75' tall which got us wondering about how they were installed. Is fiberglass stout enough to bury deep into the ground? are they reinforced at the bottom? connected some other way? anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-16, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
This might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4esF0Zmvjjk Be sure to watch to the end. It appears that they bury them into the ground based on where the wiring comes into them. The higher the pole, the deeper it gets buried.

Old 03-26-16, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting video but these poles are nothing like the ones featured. I've seen those types installed in new sub divisions. The poles on his road were installed with a crane and have a seam running the length of the pole [maybe more than one] and are in the neighborhood of 3' in diameter at the base.

Old 03-26-16, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
They are probably just bolted to the base. The base is pored concrete to sufficient depth with threaded rods buried in the concrete acting as studs for the post. Nuts are used both under the pole flange and on top of the flange. The nuts underneath are adjusted so the pole sets plum then the top nuts hold it in place. Often a shroud is then bolted around the pole hiding the fasteners. Sometimes the should is a couple of inches off the ground and concrete is pored under it if the ground isn't level. Based on many years setting bored at red lights.

Here they were doing tunneling under a freeway for a new drainage line. They were using a boring machine. The plans for the freeway gave the wrong depth for the freeway light pole bases and the boring machine which couldn't be reversed became jammed against the concrete base.

Old 03-27-16, 02:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Ray, my first thought was that the bottom 5' or so of the pole was set in the ground but my son pointed out that probably wouldn't work with them being fiberglass. With the 3 poles on his property there isn't any concrete visible but it makes sense that a base was installed first and then the pole attached to it. 2 of the poles are on flat ground but the one closest to the house is on a steep bank. I don't think I've ever seen such tall power poles in a residential neighborhood.