how to dull a chainsaw

Old 04-04-16, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
how to dull a chainsaw

I'm sure everyone that's used a chainsaw has accidentally hit the dirt or maybe even grazed a stone but I put mine dead into a rock only the rock wasn't on the ground but in the middle of the log Going by the growth rings it looks like the trunk was 2 pieces that grew together.

Always something

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-16, 04:09 PM
I've hit nails, wire and once a sugar tap but never a rock in a tree.

Old 04-04-16, 04:12 PM
LOL. It happens.

I may have related this story here before.

Years back my father-in-law had a tree in his front yard. A big old maple, I believe, about 5 feet in diameter from base to about 10 feet up. The old man who previously owned the house was a master brick layer. As often happens this tree got diseased or something and the trunk started to rot. The old brick layer hollowed out the trunk and bricked it in almost the full 10 feet up. As time went by the out side bark began to grow over the brick work. I first remember seeing it where most of the brick and cement work was visible. That was over 30 years ago. The last time I saw this tree, perhaps 10 years have since passed, I could just barely see the brick and cement work. I'm sure at this time it's totally hidden. I would give almost anything to see the reaction when the time comes for some poor SOB needs to cut this thing down. No saw will touch it! Even a bull dosser will have trouble with this thing. The thing is the tree is very healthy and extremely tall.

This method apparently is quite common. In the back yard were several apple trees that had rotted branches cut, hollowed out at the base and stuffed with cement. The trees continued to yield many apple year after year.

Old 04-05-16, 03:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Because it was in the middle, even though I knew I hit something, I backed off and continued the cut from another direction It never dawned on me that a foreign object could be that deep in the log.

Norm, could you imagine the reaction at the rental place when some guy comes in and says he needs to rent a concrete saw to finish cutting down a tree