I must be getting old

Old 04-17-16, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I must be getting old

As some of you know I'm a big stock car racing fan. I rarely miss a NASCAR race on TV and when I can't watch it - I probably have it on the radio Last night a neighbor called and said he had an extra ticket for today's Bristol race and I was welcome to go with him, free of charge I turned down the offer Just don't feel like fighting the crowds and my recliner is close to both the restroom and the snack bar

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-16, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But you'll miss the smell of spent fuel in turn one.

Old 04-17-16, 03:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I go far less places, for the same reasons.

Old 04-17-16, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also am an avoider of large crowds, too many people oblivious to those around them for my liking. Used to go to sporting games (mostly football) but haven't in several years. I even avoid the mall when ever possible. Has nothing to do with restrooms (at least not yet), just never liked crowds.

Old 04-17-16, 04:36 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Places with large crowds are terrorist targets now, yet another reason not to go.

Old 04-17-16, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
But you'll miss the smell of spent fuel in turn one.
Bristol is a short track surrounded by seats, kind of forming a bowl .... so the smell isn't concentrated in any one turn. Even with ear plugs you will still hear the roar of the engines hours after you leave the track.

Still can't believe I turned down a ticket to one of the best races - not that I regret my decision.

Old 04-17-16, 05:34 AM
I also am victim to all of the above reasons for not going out like I use to.

The one nice thing about getting old is that it beats the alternative.

Old 04-17-16, 05:41 AM
Even with my bad ears that level of noise would be too much. I make excuses to the family as to why I don't go some places, but it is really is my shrinking world, age related. I do really enjoy the solitude of floating on a lake and fishing. The fishing is a bit optional. I just have to work on getting my boat chair to be as comfortable as my recliner. And then get some lights on the boat in case i fall asleep.

Bud

Old 04-17-16, 06:54 AM
I haven't even hit 40 yet and kinda find myself in similar situations. I'll say that I don't mind going out with friends and such...but then when it actually happens, I find myself internally irritated with the crowds of people around me. People that don't respect others' "personal space" and just general ignorance.

Heck, I don't even like going to the grocery store during peak hours! People unnecessarily blocking aisles with carts as they stare down the 50 different varieties of tomato sauce...people suddenly reversing course in the middle of an aisle without looking around them...argh! LOL.

Old 04-17-16, 06:58 AM
Temporarily Suspended
People unnecessarily blocking aisles with carts as they stare down the 50 different varieties of tomato sauce.
They can't be Italian if they buy tomato sauce in the supermarket. OMG

Old 04-17-16, 09:13 AM
Well, we are in the US...

Old 04-17-16, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Mark...20 some odd years ago my neighbor and buddy back in VA that I have mentioned before had 2 tickets to an Indy car race at RIR. Less than an hour north away from us. These were comped tickets from a supplier with full access to the pits, and the executive boxes. He asked me at about 7AM (when I used to get up that early) if I wanted to leave about noon. I told him I had a lot of things to do so no thanks. The look on his face was amazing. How did I know these were worth about $500-1000? He took another neighbor who got drunk as hell and my friend told me later it was one of the worst times he ever had.

Guess I should have gone.

As to the rest of it...I hate crowds. I do most of my shopping at 6-7PM. If they had delivery in my little town, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. Between my eyes and my other issues, it's rare I leave the house more than twice a week. I just really don't like people much anymore.

Oh...and the Prego spicy sausage and basil(?) sauce is pretty darn good.

Old 04-18-16, 02:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vic, 20 yrs ago I would have accepted the free ticket offer before he got it completely out of his mouth.
While I still enjoy going to a race track and seeing a race live, to me it just isn't worth the effort - especially the amount of time spent going/coming. And with the NASCAR races I figure I see and comprehend more of the race in my living rm than I would at the track. I'm sure BMS's new TV screens suspended above the track helps if you missed some action on the track but that track is so noisy that except under caution you can't hear anything.

On a side note, while I love road course racing it mystifies me why anyone would attend one as you can only see a small portion of the track no matter where you sit.

When it comes to going to the grocery store the main reason I go along is to push the cart and write the check although I do occasionally get to put something in the cart. BUT my wife is a good cook and I enjoy eating anything she fixes ..... sometimes I enjoy it too much

Old 04-19-16, 06:12 AM
if you let terrorists determine how you live your life -they win.

We are at DIsney with the grandkids. Disney has crowds.

Old 04-19-16, 06:51 AM
Temporarily Suspended
if you let terrorists determine how you live your life -they win.
No, they only win if they kill me. If I don't go to Disney, I don't lose, Disney does. It wasn't the best idea telling they world that you're at Disney either.

Old 04-19-16, 02:22 PM
Why?

I'm here for a week with family along with probably umpteen million other families. I don't like crowds and the associated hassle either, but I've got grandkids and they are lovin' it.

Haven't seen a terrorist yet but now that I've told the DIY community they are probably looking for me.

Seriously, does anyone here let the idea of a terrorist attack dictate how you live your life? Even discounting the-very remote odds of beinga Victim, there is also the f*** them factor. I refuse to let some bearded dirtbag jihadist impact my life.

Old 04-19-16, 02:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Haven't seen a terrorist yet but now that I've told the DIY community they are probably looking for me.
That's not what I meant nor said. Enjoy your trip.

Old 04-19-16, 02:57 PM
CW,

I understand what you're saying. But there is a thing called tempting fate. If you went to Europe or the Middle East I might say you're tempting it. Enjoy you holiday and let the kids have fun while they can.

Old 04-19-16, 02:57 PM
"It wasn't the best idea Telling the world that you're at Disney either"

What else could that mean?

Old 04-19-16, 03:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What else could that mean.
Think about it for awhile.

Old 04-20-16, 07:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

You know you're getting on in years (older... ) when you begin avoiding noisy environments.

Examples:
Restaurants that have excessively loud back ground music! Thinking that provides privacy so others in nearby tables can't hear your group. You can't barely hear those in your own party whom are seated across from you at your own table! I totally avoid those restaurants and places.

Avoiding crowds. You go to places you have to but intentionally when likely they'll be less crowed or during off hour times. Grocery shopping and banking during times when others are working.

Avoiding highway traffic. Many dislike the slower then posted speeds during high traffic hours. Positive side of that is not likely any accident is serious. Nobody dies in fender benders....

You know you're getting older when you look into a mirror and see your head with less hair or no hair....HA HA......do you gaze at your bald head and wish you had hair?...... (Lyrics from an Elvis song.)

You wish you had Windows XP back again!!!...

Brew Time...

Old 04-20-16, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Restaurants that have excessively loud back ground music!
I've been avoiding them for 30+ yrs

I try not to look in the mirror - I don't know who that overweight old man is that looks back

Old 04-20-16, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
I don't know who that overweight old man is that looks back
If he has bloodshot puffy eyes, that's me....

Old 04-20-16, 10:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

Oh Yeah! Just reminded I forgot two more...

Fine print (small font) in any media format. Especially in magazines and worse yet emails! When size 8 small text or fonts are used in emails! Problem is unable to increase the text size in emails sent to you... All one can due is "Grin & Bare It"!!!...

Next is foods. Foods customarily eaten have now become to salty or vinegary tasting. Same applies to spicy hot foods... As we age we may begin avoiding them...

You Got Less Hair??? Should cost less to have barbers cut it. Not so. One price for all. More hair less hair makes no difference. No discounts apply because one has less hair then when younger. Bummer!!!

Old 04-20-16, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't been to barber shop in 20 yrs - my wife cuts my hair although with most of it gone it doesn't take her as long as it used to.

What are y'alls phone books like? Several yrs ago they shrunk our to about 1/3 the size it used to be. I have a magnifying glass I pull out if I need to use the phone book.

When I was younger I didn't care much for spicy foods but in the last 10 yrs or so I've changed some, maybe my taste buds aren't working good enough and I need more spice for something to have taste ...... still no jalapenos though

Old 04-20-16, 04:58 PM
I haven't been to barber shop in 20 yrs - my wife cuts my hair although with most of it gone it doesn't take her as long as it used to.
My last hair cut from other than my wife was over 30 years ago when my older brother said he could do a good job. My then fiance saw it and vowed never to let another touch my hair.

Old 04-26-16, 08:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

You know you're getting older when you begin to resent the excessive amount of electronics used in many so called modern appliances and such. Take the new model of vehicles with keyless entry and keyless starting. Walk up to your vehicle with fob in pocket and door lock pops open. Sit in drivers seat and press start button!

Is that all really necessary??? What's wrong with the tried and true method using a key???!!! I personally dread the time when I need to replace my existing Ram truck with key FOB combo. Last time truck failed to start spent 6+ weeks in Dodge dealers whom told me they had no idea what the problem was.... Thankfully I purchased the extended 5 year warranty.

Not even the area factory rep knew!!!... Claims never heard of it before???? (Total BS!) I must have the only one in all of America with such a problem??? Oh Really? Tow truck drivers claim it happens to vehicles. Rare but not all that uncommon.

Solution for my gas guzzling belch fire big block V-8 was to replace component in ignition switch and both FOB's last time and hope for the best! Imagine that! IMO excessive electronics. Great when they work maybe but not when they fail!!!???? What's wrong anyway with turn key door unlocking and turn key starting?????...

Imagine being locked out of your own vehicle when door locks fail to function...LOL!!!...

Old 04-26-16, 09:07 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You know you're getting older when you begin to resent the excessive amount of electronics used in many so called modern appliances and such.
Don't forget to include those stupid programmable thermostats.

Old 04-26-16, 09:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

Don't forget to include those stupid programmable thermostats.
There's an app for that......too if one has a smart phone! The question is: How did we ever survive without smart phones and apps??? Youth of today can't even imagine what a phone booth looks like...

Must be getting old! Oh Well. Better then the alternative... Problem is it's difficult in this day and age to avoid so much electronically complex so called modern conveniences. Everything has chips in it. Even my coffee maker has a chip program that reminds to clean it.

Wondering what happens should I ignore it???... How did we survive before electronic drip coffee makers and cell phones with apps for just about everything anyway...???...HA HA.

Old 04-26-16, 12:04 PM
Imagine the howling if kids had to actually get up and change the channel on the TV with a <gasp> knob.

Old 04-26-16, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife and her kids love to flip thru the channels - I bet they wouldn't do that if there wasn't a remote! My grandson has probably always been more computer literate than me

Old 04-26-16, 03:04 PM
I wear no watch.
I don't tweet, twit, snapchat, facebook or any of that other social media crap . . . . . .
I have no cell phone
I have no tablet
I have a desktop and a 20 year old laptop

My wife just bought an $800 cell phone

I love my keyless entry/start/remote start Jeep. I just push a button and the tailgate lifts. Push again and it closes. When it's a** freezing weather I just push a button and when I get to the car it's toasty warm as I ease into my heated seat and wrap my hands around the heated steering wheel.

Old 04-27-16, 12:12 AM
I must be getting old because many of those spicy foods I used to love I can't eat anymore. give me pizza or almost anything Italian and I am in pain. Same goes for some Mexican or Tex Mex food I am in pain or something worse happens. I also know I am old when I can truly say I had never heard of any of Princes music until he died I am more of the Glenn Campbell age and proud of it. I guess some of these rock and roll types are o.k. but I prefer country any day. I know I am old because I could have upgraded for free to a smart phone but I wanted a flip phone.

I also have a tablet but I don't use it very much except to watch Netflix occasionally and play a few games. I can't complain though as it was free from a survey place and I will not be paying $300.00 to replace my Ipad should it ever be lost or stolen as I prefer a laptop or my desktop. So I must be old if I only use the tablet occasionally.

Old 04-27-16, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't have a tablet, not sure I'd have much use for one. When I quit working I got rid of my cellphone as I figured I had no more need for it .... but wife and kids had other ideas so I now have a cheap 200 minute a month plan. I don't think I've ever used half of it. The kids all have fancy phones and complain about running out of data time

Put me down as another one who didn't know who Prince was. One of the kids posted something about his death on facebook so I asked my wife who he was - she said "some singer"