Abused by the news

Old 04-17-16, 09:45 AM
Abused by the news

The media should be prosecuted for inciting violence.

It is one thing to report the news, but that isn't good enough for the majority of media hounds that feel they must find the worst in every event and then embellish that to make those events something they were not. They have gone far beyond bad journalism and their twisted need to make all things scandalous should not be protected. We need to start putting some of them in jail and we need to set standards to which all others must adhere.

I'm not talking government control of the media, I'm talking staged photos, failure to verify information and the one I hate, reporting something from someone who "was not authorized" to reveal what they are saying. Two wrongs don't make it right.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-16, 10:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree that the news outlets should just report the news and let the public draw its own conclusions. Today, too much, they MAKE the news by twisting it to their own political leanings, thereby leading the public on an end run to find out the truth. Whenever wifey brings up "news" from her social media page, the first thing I ask her is "who is the source". Most of the time I end up laughing at it because the source is outright unreliable and often has disclaimers on their page that what they report is not the news, just their opinion.

Old 04-17-16, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
It's all about ratings, they have to sell commercials during the news as well. Truth and accuracy have much less to do with it anymore....

Old 04-17-16, 10:33 AM
While no source is completely free of bias or agendas, IMO NPR does a better job at keeping it out than any other source. People who actually have expertise in the area they are talking about and who disclose, in the story, if there is a potential conflict of interest or if the story involves an underwriter.

I also like to listen to the CBC and BBC to get a non-USA perspective.

Old 04-17-16, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just joking but refer to Don Henley's song, Dirty Laundry. He pretty much covered it all.

Old 04-17-16, 11:28 AM
SS, I know why they do it, but that doesn't mean we should elevate them to the protection afforded doctors, lawyers, and priests. Anyone can become a reporter for some form of media. Who checks their credentials. And the way they advance is by boosting those ratings. They get rewarded for lying because it boosts ratings?? If we stuck a few of them in jail for life because the resulting riots got some people killed and then put the media they worked for out of business, then maybe they would get the message.

CT, my over the air gets only local news and NPR and I agree, much better.

And how about all of the leaks. If they involve national security, the one who leaked and the reporter should be charged with treason and face a firing squad. They affectionately say we are back into a cold war, BS, we are at war and the other side has no rules. And there ARE times when the world doesn't need to know everything.

Sorry, a hot button.
Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 04-17-16 at 11:30 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-17-16, 01:29 PM
I'm of two minds on the national security thing....I understand the need to protect certain types of information, but that label can easily be misused by bad actors to hide misdeeds. So I give the press a little leeway. It's important we have checks and balances. It's also important that press be held accountable when they go too far. Problem is, figuring out what too far is hard enough to do with historical perspective, let along in the moment.