pipe bomb ???

Old 04-30-16, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
pipe bomb ???

There is a multi millionaire car dealer in our area. He is a shrewd businessman and has sold several of his dealerships only to repo them a few yrs later. There are also those that claim he cheated them on car deals but that probably goes along with being big and successful.

That said and maybe a guilty conscious precede this event. Like most rich folks he pays someone to mow his yard. They discovered a flashing light on the property so the law was called [small town] and they determined it was a pipe bomb so they called in the bomb squad from a nearby town who blew it up. Turns out it was the sensor that operates the gate

Can anyone say keystone cops

Johnson City Press: Grindstaff: Device thought to be explosive was a gate sensor

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-16, 04:38 AM
Even the homeowner didn't know what it was. That's the really sad part.

Old 04-30-16, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've painted for the guy, he doesn't really pay attention to stuff like that - all he would be concerned with is whether or not the gate would open. I'm not 100% certain what a gate sensor looks like but it seems a stretch to automatically assume it's a bomb.

Old 04-30-16, 06:23 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Sometimes when a business is sold, the buyer can't pay for it all at once so the seller holds the note. If the new owner can't make the payments, the seller repos it.

Old 04-30-16, 12:59 PM
I have never seen a gate sensor before either, I would think though that since it is outdoors all of the time that there would be a need for it to be enclosed. Perhaps maybe in some kind of pipe or other , well whoever fixes the gate so that it will swing open when a car approaches better put a sticker on it saying gate sensor. Perhaps that will keep them from blowing it up again.

Old 04-30-16, 02:03 PM
I don't know what that sensor looked like, but I look at what the cops did similarly to how I conduct myself. For example, I don't like roofs much any more, so I don't go on them as much as I used to. Why? Because I want to go home at night and sleep peacefully in my own bed. Likewise, if I'm a cop, and I don't know what it is, but it even remotely resembles a bomb, I'm going to do whatever it takes for me to go home at night and sleep peacefully in my own bed. I'm not going to play hero and put family members through the horrible process of having to identify me for the investigators. It's a different world than we grew up in Mark, and too many things are not black and white any more. I just happened to be at the bank a couple of years ago when a guy came in for something, no idea what he was there for, but he got involved in an intent conversation with the manager. It was a pleasant enough exchange, but he was obviously in a hurry, and managed to walk out without his briefcase. Geez, before I got out of there, police, fire, and FBI were on the way just about the time the guy back in there to retrieve the briefcase that he forgot and left setting unattended next to a desk. Different world than I remember.

Old 04-30-16, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes when a business is sold, the buyer can't pay for it all at once so the seller holds the note. If the new owner can't make the payments, the seller repos it.
I understand that, I just mentioned it because while he seems like a nice guy there are those that don't agree and could hold a grudge. Because he has multiple dealerships he also has more dissatisfied customers [higher volume not percentage] I assume [don't know] that was the reason for jumping to the bomb conclusion.

Old 04-30-16, 05:38 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I wonder who cuts his grass. Most of the people who cut grass here are from Central America & they never would have thought twice about the 'flashing light'. They would have cut around it & moved to the next job. Strange. How many bombs have flashing lights anyway?

Search this Thread