Johnny Carson

Old 05-20-16, 08:10 PM
Johnny Carson

I just noticed that on Antenna TV (ANTEN) they are showing Carson at 10, looks like every week night. I thought it would be the infomercial deal but it looks like the actual show.

Tonights guest is Bob Newhart from 1986. Now if they would show some Tom Snyder shows I'd be in heaven.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-16, 09:33 PM
In my area it is shown at 8 PM and the same show repeated at 11 PM Monday through Friday. Has been since January.

Old 05-20-16, 09:56 PM
I think over here in my area it is 10 p.m. here too, that interferes though with the 10 o'clock news that I like to watch. I liked Carson though much more than any of the present day late night talk show hosts. I never watched him very often though most of his shows didn't interest me but one that did was when his son died and the very last show. After that I would rarely watch late night talk shows and then I quit watching them. Now I watch Emergency on Netflix.

Old 05-20-16, 10:12 PM
Johnny Carson was the last of an era of late-night talk show hosts. He and his predecessors, Jack Paar, Steve Allen, Tom Snyder, Dick Cavett were ALL vastly superior to the clowns that now populate the late-night talk shows. Even Jay Leno was but a poor imitation of Carson and the others.

Now I watch Emergency on Netflix.
Emergency! is shown on METV. Out here it is on from 4 to 5 PM followed by CHiPs from 5 to 6. I've seen all of the Emergency! episodes numerous times although CHiPs doesn't really interest me all that much.

Lots of stations across the country showing old series, ANTENNA, METV, RETRO, COZI, ION and others.

Old 05-20-16, 10:27 PM
Don't forget TVland with Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke.

Old 05-20-16, 10:35 PM
We have all of those same networks over here Joel with I think the exception of Retro and we watch He&I or as they also call it Hero's and Icons mainly for the westerns on Sunday. Emergency is on every day during the week on ME-TV and we watch it and Mamas family every week on ME-TV. Since Emergency is available though on Netflix we watch several episodes a week and other things you just can't get over the air. I rarely watch first run television shows anymore unless they are reruns as most are really not all that good except for Blue Bloods.

Old 05-20-16, 10:44 PM
As far as I know TVLand is cable only, the ones I listed are broadcast and depending on your provider may also be on cable.

Many old westerns are shown on either METV or COZI including Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, The Big Valley, Branded, Maverick, F Troop (more comedy than western) as well as others I don't recall at the moment.

METV has a Saturday night / Sunday morning lineup that includes The Adventures of Superman, Batman, The Incredible Hulk, Star Trek, Svenghoulie (old sci-fi and monster movies) Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Man from UNCLE, Car 54, Where Are You?, Dobie Gillis and others.

Then there are the old movie channels. COMET has mostly sci-fi type movies, GRIT has mostly westerns and some war movies. DECADES has old series, news retrospects, documentaries and the like, repeated four times in a 24 hour period. THIS has mostly old drama movies. There are others that have REALLY old TV shows such as Robin Hood, The Buccaneers, My Little Margie, Jim Backus Show, but I generally can't receive them because they are low-power stations.

Now if only they would ban the religion channels I'd be ecstatic.

Old 05-20-16, 10:56 PM
I rarely watch first run television shows anymore unless they are reruns as most are really not all that good except for Blue Bloods.
I generally don't watch "cop" shows as they often contain too much preaching (think, Joe Friday) for me. Also, that stupid caterpillar that lives on Tom Selleck's lip is just SO stupid looking it makes me sick.

I DO watch a few first-run shows and I think they are pretty good. Unfortunately, it seems to me that the writers often go from the sublime to the ridiculous as the series continue. I used to watch Supernatural but the premise has gotten absolutely ridiculous and so beyond anything I might imagine that it has become a caricature of itself. One show I really like is Grimm but it too seems to be getting more and more unbelievable. Gotham is probably my favorite these days, mostly because I was an avid reader of Batman comics in my youth and this show echoes those classic days. Also, I think the writing on Gotham has been very good as well as showing the darker side of Commissioner Gordon during his younger years as well as the formative years of some of the super villains without the utter stupidity of the mid-sixties TV show.

Alas, while I wanted to like The Flash the writers ignored the Flash of my youth and instead based the series on the current day (I suspect) comic incarnation. Having all these insane super villains that are utterly incomprehensible makes it impossible for me to enjoy.

Old 05-20-16, 11:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Before Carson did the Tonight Show, he was a game show host. Who remembers the name of that show WITHOUT Google?

Old 05-20-16, 11:35 PM
Group Moderator
Who Do You Trust. It was on after I got home from school so I think 4pm.

Old 05-20-16, 11:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
We have a winner.

Search this Thread