Can you identify this interesting item and why it is?

Old 05-24-16, 08:10 AM
Can you identify this interesting item and why it is?

Sunday afternoon we went to Medina New York to see Thomas The Train with the little guy. A very festive outing and Medina has a very impressive model train museum set up. It's housed in an old freight station and is about the length of a football field. Here are a few shots that might give an example of the size of the museum.

However, it's the last picture that you may find interesting. If you're a railroad buff you most likely know what it is and why. I'm referring to the picture with the fire alarm. Notice the two grey items hanging in the back. The one item right above the fire hose looks like a bucket and is in fact a bucket. It's the one to the right that has an interesting story behind it. Can you figure what it is and why? When I found out I was rather amused.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-16, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Sand fire bucket?

Name:  329.1L.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  18.2 KB .

Old 05-24-16, 11:47 AM
Ray, true enough. But do you know why it cone shaped?

Old 05-24-16, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
So it cant be put on the ground. It would render it useless...Otherwise people may steal them.

Old 05-24-16, 02:13 PM
Mike, close. So the story goes that the railroad workers kept using them as stools to sit upon. When needed they would not be available.

Old 05-24-16, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
"Thomas the Train" junior engineer in training.

Old 05-25-16, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had never heard of Thomas the Train until a dozen or so years ago when my grandson would bring over an old suitcase full of it. Didn't take him long to turn the living rm floor into an obstacle course

Old 05-25-16, 03:43 AM
To be completely accurate it is Thomas the Tank Engine, not Thomas the Train. A tank engine is a style of steam locomotive that carries the fuel and make-up water in tanks on the engine proper rather than in a separate tender car. Mostly used for switching purposes as the fuel and water supply is limited when compared to a more conventional locomotive and tender.

Old 05-25-16, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
San Diego has a nice model train museum. I'll try to post some pictures.

There's also a store here that sells model trains, hard to find these days. I wouldn't mind having the Lionel trains I had as a kid, pretty valuable now.

I grew up in Ohio and most of the family worked for Erie Lackawanna, always loved trains.

Search this Thread