Cameras everywhere

Old 05-28-16, 05:29 AM
Cameras everywhere

Opinions wanted.

Where are our new capabilities (obsession) with taking pictures or videos of every event that happens, helping or hurting? And, considering where we are now, what will the next ten + years take us when virtually every inch of the world will be available for view by every inhabitant?

20 or 30 years ago if you suggested that we install cameras to monitor every car, street, and sidewalk, to be able to identify any bad guys that may have passed, the ACLU would have blown a cork. But that is where we are today in some places and will soon be everywhere.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-16, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Slightly off topic but what's with some peoples obsession on documenting every thing that happens during the day. Like who cares what you ate for the last meal and why post a pic of it ???

Old 05-28-16, 05:48 AM
Not really off topic as it is part of that obsession. Personally, I have avoided all of the social media, so far. But you are correct, taking pictures of EVERYTHING is bad enough, but then posting them for the world to see is, well it's probably a word well over my education level, I'll just say excessive.

Some of the ones that baffle me are the idiots who commit a crime and post a video about it, then get arrested.

Add to this discussion that it is becoming more difficult to trust any picture. With the advances in photo editing someone (or country) can create just about any picture they want.

Bud

Old 05-28-16, 06:05 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Some of the ones that baffle me are the idiots who commit a crime and post a video about it, then get arrested.
One time I searched google for unsolved bank robberies. There were pages of surveillance pics. They were so clear, it looked like the thief (not always a man either) posed for them but the case was still unsolved. How did that happen?

Old 05-28-16, 06:05 AM
I agree too many cameras is just too much however in some high crime areas they are a necessary evil. That includes stores and the streets and it comes at a high cost to have those installed. It is bothersome though to someone who doesn't like being photographed and that includes me. I am on Facebook but you will not see one picture of me there instead you will see a picture of some flowers from my garden. Our family also has a calendar but every year it has been out there have been no pictures of me, I just don't want my picture taken I never have.

Old 05-28-16, 06:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They were so clear
We have cameras in space that can take a picture of a nickel on a manhole cover in downtown Manhattan, but our bank surveillance can't take pictures a mother would recognize. Those must have been an anomaly.

Some of the ones that baffle me are the idiots who commit a crime
One of our community leaders was arrested last week after a surveillance video depicted him stealing a political sign of an opponent of his son who was running for the same office. Our Sheriff, who was good friends with him, said "it is what it is".

You can't legislate stupid.

Old 05-28-16, 06:50 AM
From what I have read, Europe is way ahead of us. On the good side, when they have had a terrorist issue they seem to be able to find images of the bad guys somewhere. Privacy or security, a tough choice.

Bud

Old 05-28-16, 07:04 AM
Temporarily Suspended
but our bank surveillance can't take pictures a mother would recognize.
What makes you think that? Not all banks have the same system. It depends on the quality of the installed equipment. The pics that I saw, your 3rd cousin would recognize.

Old 05-28-16, 07:30 AM
It depends on the quality of the installed equipment
Agreed. Banks are only worried about protecting money, so their budget will be reflected in the quality of equipment they have. If it were like Europe, you could read the imprint on their gold tooth fillings when they smiled. Here in small town USA, our local bank was robbed twice by the same guy a month apart. Surveillance was poor and he has never been caught.

Now, we can't wear caps in the bank. Nevermind that my company logo is emblazoned on it and my shirt.

Old 05-28-16, 07:32 AM
The bank I worked with originally had those fuzzy low resolution cameras. But just before I left them they upgraded to high resolution cameras and they were good. And, in the future they will only get better.

Can we say a proliferation of cameras will reduce crime and increase our security?

I noticed some of the radical protesters at the recent Trump rally were wearing bandanas like the old wild west. I'm guessing they wanted to hide their identity.

I would predict that in the not too distant future the cameras viewing a crowd will combine with massive computer power and instantly put names on everyone in view. Add to that, any bad guys or anyone they can't identify will be pulled aside. Is that an ouch?

Bud

Old 05-28-16, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
My belief is this obsession with real time and wide spread exposure is fueling issues like teen bullying and in particularly the explosion of slashings in NYC.

Old 05-28-16, 08:06 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Here in small town USA, our local bank was robbed twice by the same guy a month apart. Surveillance was poor and he has never been caught.
How did they know that it was the same guy? I guess it really doesn't matter. He'll be back.

I knew a little skinny guy from Brooklyn in the 70s before all the cameras were in the banks. They called him Mikey Bones. He was the first one to fly over the teller's counter with a gun. He wore a thing in his ear to hear the silent alarm. As soon as the teller activated it, he was gone with the money.

I noticed some of the radical protesters at the recent Trump rally were wearing bandanas like the old wild west. I'm guessing they wanted to hide their identity.
LOL. No. If you are talking about the bandanas around their noses, that's to prevent them from breathing the pepper spay. In some places, it's illegal to wear a gas mask at a demonstration.

Old 05-28-16, 11:11 AM
Well, maybe I should attend more protest rallies, or maybe not. LOL

On the good side and a bit specific to myself, home security is greatly enhanced with cameras everywhere. Being able to see who is outside before opening a door or resolving why the motion sensor lights are on at 2 am are both on my list.

If we go back to before cell phones reporting an accident required a land line or police radio. Made response very slow. That problem is now solved as virtually everyone has a phone. I see a similar revolution coming with cameras everywhere. Instead of just invading our lives they will be aiding us.

Bud

Old 05-28-16, 11:38 AM
How did they know that it was the same guy?
HE was wearing the same jacket and baseball hat. Go figure.

instantly put names on everyone in view
Airports are already using facial recognition identification software, so it's heeeeere.

Old 05-28-16, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Funny story... friend of mine had their iPhone stolen. Later, they noticed that the guy who stole it was taking selfies with it. (He must not have thought about how phones can sync the pictures to a Google picture account) Well since they can access those pictures from their other devices, they went to the police with that evidence and they caught the guy and got the phone back.

Old 05-28-16, 05:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Well, maybe I should attend more protest rallies, or maybe not. LOL
I vote for "maybe not" You just don't belong there. I've only been to one demonstration (anti war) in my entire adult life. I had taken a day off from work. The following day, someone asked me "How was the demonstration?" LOL

HE was wearing the same jacket and baseball hat. Go figure.
When I worked in a 19 story NYC office building, there were a lot of offices being burglarized. I told the building manager to set up a camera & catch the guy. He was a weekend worker. After some resistance, the manager said okay. He set up a camera & put $40 as bait. The camera didn't activate & he lost the $40 LOL. The second time it worked. So they told him to come to the office. Just like your bank story, he was wearing the same hat & jacket, in the video. He was told either bring my keys tomorrow & resign or I'll call the cops right now. In case you can't guess what he did, he returned the keys & quit the job.

Old 05-29-16, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He set up a camera & put $40 as bait
Some 30 yrs ago I spent 3 weeks painting the interior of this rich woman's house. For the first week every time I turned around I found a $20 bill. When I painted the pantry I found a $20 bill stashed in with the can goods so I just set it on top of all the cans I set on the kitchen table. After the first week I never saw any money laying around - I guess she was testing me

Old 05-29-16, 05:19 AM
I don't have a problem with widespread camera surveillance. They might catch me picking my nose or scratching my butt but they won't catch me robbing a convenience store or mugging some old lady.

Old 05-29-16, 05:31 AM
My contribution to this thread...Anybody watch the TV series Person's of Interest?

I like it but I wonder just how close are we to the reality?

Old 05-29-16, 10:32 AM
cw, one of my objections is the total freedom for some idiot to post to the internet any picture of any person they want, often with the intent to discredit that person. Difficult line to draw, but when the objective is just being mean, it should not be allowed.

Bud