ATM use

Old 06-10-16, 01:18 PM
ATM use

I was behind an elderly lady at an ATM today. She was obviously not real familiar with using an ATM. When she left and I got to the machine it said "would you like to make another transaction". I pressed no and it asked me if I wanted a receipt - for her withdrawal. I printed the receipt.

My question is - and I should have tried it on my account - if I had said yes would I have had access to her account? I returned her receipt to her in the parking lot, but I wondered what would have happened if I pressed yes.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-16, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
That would depend if the machine requires you to leave the card in or not. In my experience, only the machine that you leave the card inserted will ask if you want another transaction. The ones that you slide in and out right away, have never asked that.
Not sure how she got the card out without saying no tho. So if that particular machine doesn't require the card, then you probably could have gotten money from her account.

I only use my bank's ATM's, and it wouldn't ask about another transaction if your card was no longer inserted. Maybe other ATM's work differently.

Old 06-10-16, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When my ATM asks that question, if I say "yes", I have to re-enter my pin number at the least. If it is an off site ATM, I have to re-insert the card and enter the pin.

Old 06-11-16, 05:15 AM
The ATM is a swipe machine. I suspect that you are right about needing to reenter a pin number. The next time I use it I'll give it a try.

Old 06-11-16, 07:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just an aside. When my bank issued a chip card to replace the old one, I was in HD and paying for the goods, I inserted my chip card. Well, HD wasn't ready for that. It completely rebooted her entire computer station. Oops. Until the store retooled, I had to swipe my card, THEN insert it when prompted. Technology grows by leaps and bounds.

Old 06-11-16, 08:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

cwbuff. If you continued to use her card while at the ATM to steal her money, be sure to smile... The camera sees you......Once it's discovered and reported money was taken, if you where able to continue using her card, your mug would likely be on the photo video recorder...

Chances are the pass word would be required again to continue...
However, it was noble of you not to attempt to continue and return the receipt to her...

Old 06-14-16, 09:45 AM
I used the same ATM today and it requires that the PIN be reentered to do another transaction.

Old 06-15-16, 09:19 AM
I thought the ATMs were changing to one-transaction-per-swipe because they wanted to nail you for the additional access fees

My bank doesn't charge but I used a different bank out of town and the first thing it asked was "Do you want to check your balance?" Sure, why not. "Would you like another transaction?" Yeah--that's why I'm here. Re-insert card, and so on. My next statement showed 2 access charges. Cha-ching. Very clever of them.

I called my bank and got it removed but the intent is obvious.