Pricey eyeglasses

Old 06-10-16, 01:29 PM
Pricey eyeglasses

My wife got a new prescription and new eyeglasses yesterday. She buys progressive lenses and "designer" frames and usually pays an arm and two legs for them. It's her money so the cost doesn't bother me.

However, she already had designer frames that she paid an arm and two legs for just a couple of years ago. Her plan was to get an additional set of lenses put in her old frames to have as a spare pair.

She checked with two national eyeglass chains, the guy recommended by her optometrist and Wal Mart. They all had the same spiel - it would be cheaper to by the lenses with new frames! FWIW WalMart was the cheapest but this strikes me as some sort of ripoff.

I have $20 cheaters!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-16, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Back when I wore glasses, I did this and no one advised me to do otherwise. That said, I had a very light prescription at the time.

Old 06-10-16, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whenever I buy new glasses they charge me one price for the frame and another for the lenses, then add on for the photo grey tint. Add it all together and give me the final price.
Has she had them price it each way?

Old 06-10-16, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
The last several times I've had them put new lenses in my frames. Compared to the lenses the frames are cheap but still it saves me the frame cost. And in my case Walmart is the cheapest and I think the only independant eyeglass company left. I think Luxottica owns everyone else; Pearle Vision, Target Optical, Lens Crafters, Sears Optical. It makes me wonder where Costco Optical fits in.

Old 06-10-16, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I get mine from Zenni all the bells and whistles usually 70 to bucks .My wife tried them and they won't work for her.

Old 06-10-16, 03:10 PM
I haven't needed a new prescription in at least a dozen years but several years prior I bought expensive frames, mostly because I had a habit of sitting on them and bending them all out of shape. I found that the cheap frames bent once and that was it but the expensive (titanium) could be re-shaped several times.

Anyway, I have had new lenses installed at least twice in each of my four frames. Never had one bit of trouble having this done. I did run into a bit of trouble once when I had (I still have them) a pair of safety frames. I wanted new prescription lenses but not safety lenses. They told me that because they were safety frames they were required to install ONLY safety lenses.

I haven't sat on my glasses for quite some time but I feel that the one-time higher cost (about $200) for the expensive frames has actually saved me money over the years.

Old 06-10-16, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
A consumer-level frame costs significantly less than $10 to manufacture. The rest is operations, licensing and profit.
Read more: Wow -- the Eyewear Industry Is an Incredible Ripoff, But There Are Alternatives | Alternet

Old 06-10-16, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My daughter is my Doctor of Optometry, and she sees to it that I have titanium frames (really light weight and strong), impact resistant lenses, no line bifocals, and transition lenses. She also sets me up with Maui Jim sunglasses, since transitions won't darken through a windshield refraction. I feel blessed.

A few years ago she made me a set of what she called "Double D's". Bifocal on top and bifocal on bottom. I thought how odd. Until I put them on working on an electrical panel. No lifting my head, craning my neck to see the top breakers and wiring. Just drop the head slightly and all is in focus.

Old 06-11-16, 03:55 AM
I don't wear glasses; but my Wife recently bought a pair of nice Designer Lineless Bi-Focals for under $35.00 from EyeBuyDirect which is located in Texas. She's extremely pleased; because she's accustomed to paying nearly $300.00 locally.

EyeBuyDirect will only sell if you can produce a recent Prescription that's less than a year old.

She says that the hardest part about buying on-line was asking her Optometrist (for the past 25 years) for a copy of that Prescription . . . . he knew the gig was up.

Old 06-11-16, 04:06 AM
Those of you who wear transitions are blessed. I tried and could not get use to them. I opted for traditional bifocals. Best decision for me.

I agree that the eye glass business is a ripoff. But think back 30 years or more and remember how it was to get a pair of glasses. Much easier to day and cheaper. And nowadays a Dollar store has cheaters. I have a set in every room of the house including all bathrooms.

Old 06-11-16, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oddly, my daughter highly recommends getting cheap Wal Mart reading glasses for computer use. She tells me not to wear my bifocals when at the screen. Makes sense to me.

Old 06-11-16, 05:22 AM
That article is a real eye opener. My wife paid $500 for lenses and frames. A spare pair would have cost another couple of hundred. Instead she's going to look on line for her spares.

Old 06-11-16, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
my daughter highly recommends getting cheap Wal Mart reading glasses for computer use
Since I'm near sighted I can't use those cheap reader glasses but several years ago my eye doctor wrote a prescription for computer glasses - basically just my bifocal prescription. It works well for me although occasionally I'll forget to take them off and then wonder why I can't see very far

Old 06-11-16, 11:57 AM
Back when I had cable television service I received a Canadian channel. This channel had a VERY good consumers affairs program called Marketplace where the investigative reporters would check out various companies. (I wish we had something like this in the US.) One program they checked out various eyewear dispensers and the "glasses in about an hour" stores were found to be among the most expensive options available.

Coincidentally, the latest issue of Puget Sound Checkbook magazine (a local Consumer Reports type organization) discussed eyewear and related subjects. Turns out I have a highly rated, for both price and quality, dispensary just a couple of miles from me in beautiful downtown Bothell. Another highly rated dispensary in Kirkland (about six miles away) where my doctor, hospital and other medical providers are located. No more Lens C***** for this kid, although other than price I have never had an issue with them.

Oh, I tried the "Invisilines" (spelling?) no-line bifocals and they drove me nuts. Turns out I can't get used to bifocals no matter what I do. I've had two ophthalmologists as well as an optometrist tell me that some people simply can't adjust. Luckily, except for watching television I don't really need the distance correction but I sure do need the reading correction. Amazingly, I not only don't need either correction for the computer I actually can't use either with the computer.