Coupons

Old 06-12-16, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Coupons

Wifey dragged me to Wal Mart to pick up a prescription for her and, of course, we had to "shop". Gee. We got to the check out counter with only one woman in line. How blessed we were............NOT. I found out after loading the belt with our stuff she was a "couponer". There were 4 stacks of coupons on the counter which had to be rung up one at a time. All her stuff was loaded in the buggy (that's southern for cart) and we waited....and waited. 15 minutes. I kept looking for Wal Mart people, but didn't see any

Well, at least it wasn't someone using food stamps to buy stuff that wasn't allowed on the program and having to make a separate stack to return to stock.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-16, 02:13 PM
I also like the women (it's always women) that argue over expired coupons and spend five minutes digging through their gigantic purse just because they know they have a coupon for that can of hairspray somewhere in there.

And then there are the change purse women . . .

Old 06-13-16, 04:20 AM
We use coupon's also (store coupon's). We must scan them and put them in a separate bag next ton our register. Then at the end of the day we throw them out. But it must look like we save them in the eyes of the customer. However, manufacture coupons must be saved and are sent back to the manufacture for the money to be returned to the store.

My wife is a pretty good coupner and can run up a $200 grocery bill and end up paying only $100. It's part of the system. No I don't like it and neither does she. But do we pay $200 or use coupons and only pay $100?

Old 06-13-16, 06:07 AM
The trick to shopping in Walmart is use a cashier in another dept, for example, electronics.

Old 06-13-16, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
OK, how about the person that doesn't even have their check book out when the purchase is totaled?? No they have to dig through their purse, check the total 3 times, ask what the date is, etc. Do they not know that most registers now will fill out the check and all they have to do is sign?

Old 06-13-16, 07:34 AM
Why even use a check? A debit card uses the same account, has the same record-keeping via the monthly statement and is as fast as a credit card. Since I got my debit card I mostly use checks for sending through the mail, probably not even a dozen a year and to pay my dentist and periodontist, both of whom give a cash discount for a paper check rather than debit or credit card.

I haven't used an ATM either since getting the debit card. Just get cash back when making a debit card purchase.

For most things other than food I use a credit card.

Old 06-13-16, 01:02 PM
The only checks I write are to the town for taxes (they charge extra if you pay with plastic) and to my wife's doctor. Their billing office doesn't accept credit cards.

I have reached a point where I consider people writing checks in a busy checkout line to be rude and inconsiderate.

Old 06-13-16, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of the grocery stores we go to doesn't accept plastic but it doesn't take long to process a check even if it's over a $100 where the manager needs to approve. They have the best prices but it's on the other side of the mountain so we only go there once a month.

The water company only accepts checks or cash. The light company accepts plastic but adds a 3% surcharge if you do They keep saying they want you to pay online but no way am I going to pay that surcharge!

My wife is more apt to use fast food coupon than ones at the grocery store. I don't care as long as it doesn't add a lot of time to the checkout process.

Old 06-13-16, 02:44 PM
Furd - I have been a member of the world's largest credit union for 44 years. I especially like their near "real time" account access. I have actually been able to track my wife's shopping sprees on line as the debit card purchases are posted almost immediately. T

Old 06-13-16, 02:47 PM
Winco accepts cash, debit cards and checks as long as they have the person's telephone number imprinted. I have never had my telephone number on my checks and I never will so that left me the option of cash. I don't like carrying large amounts of cash so I got a debit card. I am unaware of any major grocery chain in my area that demands cash or a check.

As I recall, the only credit card that Costco will accept is American Express. They will, however, accept debit cards. Not that it matters as I don't have a Costco card anyway.

Mark, your utility companies need to realize that this is the 21st century. Or maybe you do. I pay my water (including sewer), electricity, cellular telephone, credit cards, insurance premiums, garbage collection and a few other recurring bills through a (free) bill-paying service from my credit union. For some they make a direct funds transfer and a few they write a check that is sent to the payee. With the exception of the electricity (I'm on a budget plan that has the same amount charged each month) these are NOT "automatic" payments but payments where I authorize the amount and date paid. I have never had a problem with this service.

I have written a total of ten checks so far this year; four to my sister, three to my Medicare Part D insurer, one to the periodontist, one to the county treasurer for real estate taxes and one to the dealer where I bought my replacement car.

Old 06-13-16, 03:00 PM
CW, I've been a member of the fourth largest CU in the USA by assets, fifth largest by membership, for about 36 years. Also a smaller municipal employees CU for about 42 years. I haven't had an account at a commercial bank since about 1986 nor an S&L since about 1990. My feeling is very few people need anything but a CU account and when I hear the horror stories of how they have been treated by either a commercial bank or an S&L I tell them to take their business to a credit union.

Even my credit cards (both of them) are issued by credit unions as is my debit card. I get dinged on my credit report for having too few credit accounts but my score is still over 800.

Old 06-13-16, 03:37 PM
Our store does not refuse checks but we do try to deter the use of them. It really slows things down big time. So we don't except out of state checks. Phone number must be on the check. We must use a driver's license to keep on file for future use. If you're new to our store or you want to begin to use checks then it takes about ten minutes to get you into our system. Yes we collect lots of information. Don't like it? Don't use it!
You'd be surprised by the number of bad checks we get even with the safeguards we are using.

Then there is the customer who waits until I ring up a basket full of merchandise (with several other customers in line) and then just assumes a check will be taken without ID and begins to write the check before I can advise them if they are in our system or would like to be put into it. Then they get mad at me because they wasted check.

Old 06-13-16, 05:53 PM
CW, my HD Pro purchases are accumulated and I can access them via the HD site. Also after each purchase, they email me the receipt (I found out there is no way to stop it). Wife called the other day and asked me to stop at her car and help bring things in. I told her, sure, I'd be glad to unload your xxx plants and planter, etc. She asked how I knew. She used a debit card and HD had it on file and emailed me the receipt. She can't get away with anything

Old 06-14-16, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife has a shop rewards card with Sears/Kmart which is linked to my email account. I get an email anytime she buys something there. She doesn't always like being tattled on but she does like getting the points. I only fuss at her when she uses her credit card instead of debit or paying cash.

I've rarely ever used a debit card. When I changed banks a few years ago the new bank said if I didn't use the card every so many months that they'd cancel it - so I declined getting one. I do use credit cards extensively but I always pay the balance in full each month!

Old 06-14-16, 04:17 AM
My beef with Sears if that they continue to flood me with e-mails. I've tried to un-subscribe but to no avail. I can't be bothered with Sears rewards but if we make a large purchase its worth the hassle. My daughter constantly uses Sears and gets all kinds of discounts and many "free" purchases with accumulated points.

Old 06-14-16, 09:29 AM
When I changed banks a few years ago the new bank said if I didn't use the [debit] card every so many months that they'd cancel it - so I declined getting one.
That also applies to ATM cards, I found out the hard way when I went several months without using my ATM card and it was refused by the ATM. Going to the credit union I found I had been issued an ATM/debit card and it had been cancelled for lack of use. I had an ATM only card re-issued as at the time I saw no need for a debit card. It wasn't more than a couple of months later that I started to go to Winco (grocery store) that would accept debit, but not credit cards that I saw the need for the debit card so I had it reissued again.

I don't think I have used the ATM since, just get cash back from using the debit card.

As for Sears, I don't think I have bought anything from Sears (proper) in a decade. Very seldom that I even enter a K-mart.

Old 06-14-16, 09:40 AM
I just got home from gassing up the car for a short vacation. Another annoyance -
people at a busy gas station that opt to "pay inside". I don't have a real problem with that, but it bothers me when they are in the store shopping for 15 minutes leaving their car blocking the pump.

Old 06-14-16, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When pay at the pump first came out I was a little leery of it ... don't remember why but now I complain a little if I can't pay at the pump

One of the many reasons I changed banks was I went to cash a check and they not so politely told me they wouldn't cash them anymore unless I got a debit/atm card from them. I responded I had one, they said no you don't so I pulled it out of my wallet - it had expired over a year earlier .... why didn't they automatically send me a new one ??? I had banked there close to 20 yrs although they did change the name several times.

Old 06-14-16, 11:36 AM
Mark,

After reading your post I sat here trying to think of the last time I had a beef with my CU. After 5 minutes I gave up. 44 years and I can't remember a single instance where I was dissatisfied with their performance.

I quit banking at an S&L many, many years ago after getting po'd at them one to many times. I find banks to be greedy, impersonal and less efficient than my credit union.

Old 06-14-16, 01:07 PM
Well put, CW.

I've had ONE gripe with my larger CU, back in the early to mid eighties. I have NEVER had a problem with the smaller CU. I've had numerous accounts with commercial banks as well as S&Ls and never had any second thoughts when I closed those accounts. Closed my last account at a commercial bank in the late eighties and the last S&L a couple of years later.

Old 06-14-16, 02:16 PM
OK, we've digressed nicely, but that's fine. This is good information. I'll ask generally....I have bank accounts for personal use, rental cabin and for my business. The latter two charge monthly charges if my balance goes under $500. What really gripes me is I used the night depository once and was charged $1.50 "convenience" fee on my business account. They had a sign out at the ATM where we could make deposits of cash or checks and have it credited the same day. Hey, that's great as I am by the bank at 7am. Well, not exactly 7am "today", possibly tomorrow at 2 pm. I complained and the signs came down, as they were using a 3rd party to do the reconciliation on deposits. Do credit unions pull shenanigans like that? Or are they more up and up? My personal accounts are for seniors so there is never any charges, just the business accounts.

Old 06-14-16, 02:51 PM
Well, Larry, it depends on the individual credit union. With my larger CU I get 5% interest on savings up to $500. Current interest rate on the checking is about 0.5% The smaller CU has even lower interest rates but they have several branches that are easy to access and are open on Saturdays from 11AM to 2PM. During the week they are open until 6 PM.

The larger CU has numerous "neighborhood financial centers" where just about any paperwork issue can be dealt with. Unfortunately, they do not have "tellers" so no cash transactions can be made. For things requiring a teller you have to go to one of two locations, neither is real convenient for me. On the other hand, they DO have an extensive ATM network (no fee) as well as a very good on-line system. The smaller CU has a very limited number of ATMs, mostly at their branches and one that is either at Seattle City Hall or perhaps the downtown police station. These are also no-fee ATMs. Of course either CU can be accessed through fee-based ATMs if you don't mind paying the exorbitant fees.

The director of the (now defunct) historical museum where I used to volunteer had the business account at a commercial bank. When she had had enough of their crap policies she attempted to move it to the smaller CU and they told her she needed a Seattle Business License. There was some other reason why she didn't go with them but I don't remember why. She then went to the larger CU and they welcomed her with open arms, not even caring about the business license.

My advice would be to talk to a member's representative, tell them all your concerns and ask specific questions.

Old 06-14-16, 04:10 PM
I'm going to look into it, if I can find a convenient CU. They just seem to make sense over commercial banking. I rarely see a teller, and do most of my banking online or with debit card. Thanks.

Old 06-15-16, 03:37 AM
There are reasons why Credit Union members are so loyal.

With my CU I have free checking w/no minimum balance, no ATM fees within their network and $1 per transaction outside ($2 out of country), no cash or check deposit fees (I can scan checks to deposit them on line). I can see and copy endorsed checks for free on line. I have a credit card with a very competitive rate and a debit card with free overdraft. Both are protected. When my debit card was skimmed it cost me nothing.

The CU's on line site is awesome. I can see all my accounts "real time", move money easily between accounts, see pending recurring direct deposits days in advance, apply for loans and purchase investment products.

Old 06-15-16, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have both a regular bank checking account and a CU savings account. I'm fairly happy with the bank; free checking, free checks and good online access. My CU was originally started with a account to get a cheaper car loan. My only complaint with them would be their shorter hours and the CD I have only pays .2% ..... which I think is .05 hiring than the bank.