Rest in Peace

Old 06-14-16, 01:35 PM
Rest in Peace

I have come to the conclusion that no one these days understands the difference between your and you're. It was a long friendship with the contraction of you are but nothing lasts forever.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-16, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
I screwed up and had the wrong one in a post recently and I noticed that even though you were the next person to respond in the thread you did not comment on my error.

Old 06-14-16, 02:04 PM
Since all it ever accomplished is sowing hate and discontent I no longer correct people. I just shake my head and move on.

Old 06-14-16, 02:12 PM
I haven't been in a position to interview new potential employees in a long time, but it often came down to two or three well qualified people. Extraneous things like hobbies and volunteer work can come into play as to who gets the job. NEVER would we have hired anyone who demonstrated the total lack of concern for the basics of our language that we see everywhere today. At least we try on this forum and personally, I don't mind a jab in the ribs from Joel from time to time. I realize how much he cares. And another, personally, I should have paid more attention in my English classes as they were dead last in my rankings. A mistake I have and will be paying for for a long time.

Bud

Old 06-14-16, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe if we forbade the use of contractions all together there would be no anarchy. NO, that would eliminate "ain't", and we can't have that in the South. But we will still have "then" and "than".

Old 06-14-16, 02:59 PM
I was pretty good in spelling as a kid although I have definitely slipped in my later years. I was never anything more than an average student regarding English while in school but about the time I turned thirty I became very interested in the nuances of our language.

My mother used to tell us of a teacher she had that stated, "It should hurt your ears when you use improper grammar." That stuck with me and that teacher was right, it DOES hurt my ears to listen to people that seem to have less than a third grade education in their native language. Or maybe they simply do not teach (Americanized) English spelling, grammar and usage as well as sentence structure with punctuation in the public schools these days.

Old 06-14-16, 03:09 PM
I pretty much know my grammar and sentence structure (learned in a Catholic School with Nuns and diagramming sentences), but my typing and eye sight is not what it use to be. And besides when using the Internet it's common to misspell words. As long as the meaning is conveyed I don't see a problem. It's a sign of the times and not worth worrying about it. I go with the flow on this one.

Old 06-14-16, 03:34 PM
I have a Tee shirt that says

There,
their,
they're not
the same

Mostly people stare at it like it's greek, but the tech writers I use to work with loved it.

When I used to review resumes from engineering job applicants, those with egregious spelling or grammar errors went right to the round file. If you can't get something as important as a resume right.....

Old 06-14-16, 03:34 PM
Norm, that IS the problem. People have just plain gotten sloppy and they use that phrase (you know what I mean) as an excuse for their sloppiness.

Old 06-14-16, 03:54 PM
I have a young cousin who is on Facebook quite a bit with teenage stuff. Mostly goofy, but I read it. In conversations with her peers, there is no language. Chopped up words. Letters for words. And totally egregious butchering of what we call English.

Old 06-14-16, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
I usually spell things correctly unless I just happen to mistype and don't catch it... but I know I probably use commas way too much. Guess there are worse problems to have.

The thing that gripes me are a couple common mistakes you see here now and then- the people who say (and type) chaulk instead of caulk... and Tyvex (or some other alternate spelling) instead of Tyvek. And they don't get the hint when you use it in a sentence correctly. Oh well. LOL

Old 06-14-16, 05:56 PM
Norm, that IS the problem. People have just plain gotten sloppy and they use that phrase (you know what I mean) as an excuse for their sloppiness.
You're correct. And I only use it on the Internet. Never in a foraml letter or even a note or bit of information to my fellow workers.

Old 06-14-16, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm from the south, how much would it rattle your nerves if I use the phrase - Yer?

Old 06-14-16, 06:43 PM
In actuality I do in fact use that term in everyday conversation. As in Yer nuts!

Old 06-15-16, 08:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

Along the same thoughts as correct spelling is the proper usage of paragraphing, punctuation and grammar. All of which seem to be lost with the youth of today. Along with their excess usage of a smart phone. Especially the excess text messaging communication and usage of social media sites. IMO.

Oh how rude it is (IMO) at a dinner table of several or many when some have their eyes constantly on (in) their phone, texting while the rest of us are actually talking to each other live and in person.

Let's (Let Us) not forget the 2 excessive word usages either. Those that come to mind now. Examples: Virtually and people. In conversions is it a benefit to say people so often when not speaking about anything other the people? Think about that for a moment. What you hear over and over again and again. People. People. People!!!

Think about this too. Include the word virtual or virtually. Was either of those words used as often years back as it is today? I hardly doubt it. I doubt in our youthful years we even knew what that word was or meant! Correct me if I am (I'M) wrong.

Worse yet. Post Titles. I might hear about this comment... "Rest In Peace"???
When I saw this post with that title I assumed it was a condolence (RIP) for some one whom is deceased...:NO NO NO:...

Old 06-15-16, 09:58 AM
Dare I point out the possible errors in this paragraph??

Let's (Let Us) not forget the 2 excessive word usages either. Those that come to mind now. Examples: Virtually and people. In conversions is it a benefit to say people so often when not speaking about anything other the people? Think about that for a moment. What you hear over and over again and again. People. People. People!!!
Naaaah...I'll leave it.... (just ribbin'!!)

The one that bothers me is when people type out "should of" or "would of" or "could of" instead of what it ACTUALLY is..."should've", "would've", "could've." THAT really drives me nuts. If I could reach through the monitor and smack the person typing that, I would. LOL.

Old 06-15-16, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
I've got a buddy that interjects the word "right?" into his sentences as he's talking to you or telling you a story... it's like he just wants to make sure you are still following him, right?

I've got another buddy that as he relates any story to you, will always interject the phrase "to make a long story short". Problem is, his stories are so long that he has to say that 2 or 3 times before he's done. I don't think I've ever heard him talk without saying it at least once. We ought to have a pool someday where we time him and see how long it takes before he says it. LOL

Old 06-15-16, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
I'm a grammar nut, too <also> but just bite my tongue and shake my head. However, when someone types one long paragraph, without even one punctuation mark or a new sentence, I do say something then. That annoys me more than anything. Gives me a headache!

Old 06-15-16, 11:32 AM
However, when someone types one long paragraph, without even one punctuation mark or a new sentence, I do say something then. That annoys me more than anything. Gives me a headache!
There's a lady here at work that does that. Whenever I see an email from her, I always take a deep breath as if I were reading the email out loud. LOL. She barely uses any punctuation. And if you heard her talk, it'd almost sound like she didn't use any punctuation in her speech either!

Well, her speaking isn't *quite* that bad, but she is a fast talker so the listener really has to keep up.

Old 06-16-16, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I loved grammar -

also loved my grampar -

both long gone.

Old 06-16-16, 01:05 PM
Garden sheers?

More evidence that our language is going down the toilet. The Associated Press doesn't know the difference between sheers and shears.

Eagles quarterback Wentz saved from gas station bathroom | KOMO

Old 06-16-16, 01:34 PM
Two more things that grate my cheese, people that write tho instead of though and people that use the word whom even when the proper word would be who.

Okay, three more things. People that use letters and numerals for words. Examples: b4gotten, Cya (not, CYA) Many more that I have blocked.

Old 06-16-16, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have to admit that my grammar and spelling has never been the best but I was shocked when I first moved to east tenn that the local paper would have so many grammar and spelling errors. Now that spell check it common they don't print as many mis spelled words but it's often obvious that they clicked on the wrong word when correcting a mis spelled word - guess nobody proof reads anymore

Until I was corrected on these forums I always thought caulk was spelled chaulk not to be confused with chalk

Old 06-16-16, 02:42 PM
The one that bothers me is when people type out "should of" or "would of" or "could of" instead of what it ACTUALLY is..."should've", "would've", "could've."
Those contractions are formed from the words "should have", not "should of". Example: I should have (should've) made that correction long ago.

Old 06-16-16, 03:01 PM
Here's one a close friend would write: Spost to. It has been almost four years since Bert went to his reward, I miss him dearly.

Old 06-16-16, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not to throw her under the bus but my wife's spelling is worst than mine. I noticed on her grocery list one time that she was going to fix us a treat for supper - stake

Old 06-16-16, 04:03 PM
Neither my wife nor daughter (doctor daughter) can spell the word vacuum. They always leave notes with the word "vacume". Grates on what few nerves I have left.

Old 06-16-16, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
You have left out the classic "noone". When I was first on the net I saw it so often I searched through several dictionaries wondering if I had been wrong writing it as two words.

In another case when first on the Internet I read a post where the writer kept writing 1rd. I actually wrote back and asked because I couldn't figure out what it meant. Got a somewhat snippy reply asking why I didn't know that was an abbreviation for first.

Old 06-16-16, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Geez Ray, I would've been snippy right back about that! I definitely would have corrected him.

Well Furd, like I said, I'm a grammar snob, but I still type tho Some abbreviations are OK, IMO.

Old 06-16-16, 05:56 PM
Neither my wife nor daughter (doctor daughter) can spell the word vacuum.
Wait, you mean you can actually read what she writes?
I thought Doctor 101 was taught so that no one but a pharmacist could read their writing. A secret code of sorts.

Old 06-16-16, 10:55 PM
My handwriting has gotten so bad over the years I often can't read it even minutes later. Therefore, I have given myself the honorary degree of Doctor. My (former) wife used to tell people I had a Ph.D. in trivia.

I used the title of Doctor once when I joined a national historic preservation group. Now when I receive junk mail for Dr. Joel I know where they rented the mailing list.

Old 06-17-16, 10:51 AM
Yet another that chaps my lips...

We would like to thank you...

or

I would like to thank you...

or

I would like to introduce...

Well, why DON'T you do it? Saying you would LIKE to (thank, introduce, whatever) means that for some unstated reason you are unable to do so. Instead of the pilot saying, "On behalf of XYZ airlines I would like to thank you for flying with us today." he should just say, "On behalf of XYZ airlines I thank you for flying with us today." Much simpler and removes any doubt that he really IS thanking people.

Old 06-17-16, 04:36 PM
Or to be more blunt the pilot might say" I would like to thank you, but I don't think I will"!

Old 06-17-16, 05:22 PM
I agree. Starting a sentence with those words, leaves room for "but". I would like to go fishing..........those words don't even fit Heck, I'm going fishing is easier. It's almost as if you are asking permission, too.